Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First Snow in U.P. for 2022-2023 Winter

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Nay, that's nothing. Here is something to rattle your feathers. In fact, it is starting to rattle mine.

I might of mentioned this before. I have two checking accounts. One is used just for my gambling transactions, and the other is my personal checking account used for everything but gambling. At the end of last year, I had over $50,000 in each of them earning just 0.02% interest. In the past, I didn't care much because all short term investments were paying zip. However, that is no longer the case. At Schwab a one year CD now pays over 5%, and a money market account pays around 4.5%. I still have a lot in my two checking accounts earning just about zip. I did move some out of my gambling account at the start of the year, and I will be moving more out soon. I still don't know what is a good amount to keep in my checking account. I want to always have at least enough for 6 months living expenses.
    "I might HAVE mentioned..." (obligated to do that as Don has given up on it )

My feathers are fine, thanks for asking.

Anyway, I have a Schwab acct as well. I keep cash in SWVXX, one of their money market funds. It is currently paying about 4.8%. I am in a premier banking program at my bank which gives me no fee accounts, free online billpay, a free safe deposit box, etc. I keep just above the minimum required (20K) to stay fee-free. It's very easy to do online transfers from Schwab and/or other online banks, as needed, to cover expenses, so there's no reason to keep extra money in a virtually zero-interest account. I generally transfer funds once or twice per month, depending how much I need for checks "written" (actually online billpay). Keeping 6 months of living expenses in a zero-interest account seems silly to me. Perhaps I have more time for this than you do, as my roof shoveling time commitment is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    "I might HAVE mentioned..." (obligated to do that as Don has given up on it )

My feathers are fine, thanks for asking.

Anyway, I have a Schwab acct as well. I keep cash in SWVXX, one of their money market funds. It is currently paying about 4.8%. I am in a premier banking program at my bank which gives me no fee accounts, free online billpay, a free safe deposit box, etc. I keep just above the minimum required (20K) to stay fee-free. It's very easy to do online transfers from Schwab and/or other online banks, as needed, to cover expenses, so there's no reason to keep extra money in a virtually zero-interest account. I generally transfer funds once or twice per month, depending how much I need for checks "written" (actually online billpay). Keeping 6 months of living expenses in a zero-interest account seems silly to me. Perhaps I have more time for this than you do, as my roof shoveling time commitment is zero.
    I also have a SWVXX Schwab account. The interest rate is more like 4.48% than the 4.8% you mentioned. I plan to buy my next electric SUV with the money in this account. This account works a little different than most money market accounts. It works more like a mutual fund and might take a couple days longer to get one's money than just a plain old money market account.

Anyway, I agree it is easy to transfer money, but what you & Don are missing is if I suddenly die who is going to move the money. I want at least six months of living expenses in my checking account at all times until my kids can get a handle on the situation if something happens to me, and that requires at least $30,000. Also the ups and downs of online gambling require at least $30,000 also. However I started 2022 with under $30,000 in my gambling account.

Beware the Ides of March
    Well, today I finished up the shoveling from winter storm Sage. It wasn't much of a storm where I live, but parts of the U.P. got double digits snowfall from it. Now we are just waiting for the next big one to hit that always comes this time of year. From the period March 15th to around March 21st it seems like we always have a whopper of a storm. Some folks call it the St Patty's day storm, but call it what you want, it seems to happen every year. Last year we got 10 inches, and this year right on St Patty's day the worst is suppose to hit us. They are predicting 15 inches and blowing snow. Remember "Beware the Ides of March."
    https://www.keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall-full.php

Hopefully This is Winter's Last Hurrah
    Well, just waiting for our St Patty's Day storm to hit. Right now just a light rain out there, but that is suppose to change in just a matter of hours. I was going to start my second car today, but the driveway was so icy I couldn't even get to it. I watched the mailman almost wipe out delivering our mail. The rain made our driveway like a sheet of ice. So instead of starting my car, I spent an hour chopping ice.

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ SATURDAY... * WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 11 to 24 inches...heaviest in the higher terrain areas and in north to northeast snow belts. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph will be possible near the Lake Superior shoreline. WHEN...From 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ this evening to 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ Saturday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will impact multiple morning and evening commutes through Saturday. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow will be preceded by a period of rain this evening before changing over to wet snow tonight. This may lead to slick road conditions tonight into early Friday.

And our St Patty's Day storm rages on. Schools are closed today.

St Patty's Day Storm 3-17-23.JPG

Blog Entries

What's snow? Sorry, don't mean to sound cruel. In Manhattan, We have had some snow fall, but each flake melted as soon as it hit the ground. We haven't had any stick to the streets or sidewalks since March of last year. I did wake one day and there was snow on the grass and rooftops -- but it was gone by 11AM. The weather has been very odd the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Norm; 03-19-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

What snow? The sierra nevada mountains have had 50 ft of season total so far in many areas. Ski areas have been closed due to too much snow.

FrYrtgOXwAc-U-f.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Black View Post
    What snow? The sierra nevada mountains have had 50 ft of season total so far in many areas. Ski areas have been closed due to too much snow.

FrYrtgOXwAc-U-f.jpg
    I have seen the pictures of the snow dumping the folks got out west. All I can say is it's pretty much unbelievable. Pictures of almost 5 feet of snow on folks roofs, and the sad part is these folks are attempting to shovel their roofs with just a regular shovel. I only saw a few folks that had scoops for their roofs. A regular shovel is back breaking and heart attack work with the kind of snow they received. They all need a Yooper Scooper.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    March Weather: “In Like A Lamb, Out Like a Lion”
    Heck, we just got over a St Patty's day storm and now they are predicting up to 24 inches of snow for parts of the U.P. A couple of days ago our highs were about 15 degrees below normal.Then come next Tuesday another storm on the horizon.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Old Man Winter is Still Alive in the U.P.
    We are presently under 34 weather alerts in the U.P. Most of the alerts are for flood warnings as we had a very warm week with rapid snow melt. At the beginning of the week we had around two feet of snow on the ground, but with the rapid snow melt there is only about a foot left on the ground. Heavy rain last night made matters worse.

Some parts of the U.P. are under blizzard warnings. Sure hope we miss most of this, as my snow plowing contract for the winter ended on April 15th. I sure don't feel like shoveling 17 inches of heavy wet snow.

Gogebic, MI

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT MONDAY... * WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected with wind driven snow. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 17 inches...heaviest in the western parts of the county near Ironwood and Wakefield and amounts decreasing with distance away from Lake Superior. Ice accumulations of a light glaze expected. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph. * WHERE...Gogebic County. * WHEN...Until 7 PM CDT Monday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Widespread blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning and evening commutes.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 04-16-2023 at 02:28 PM.

Winter Storm of 4-17-23
    So far not as bad as our St Patty's Day storm, but I don't have my snow plower any more. I guess I should have paid for the whole month of April instead of just a half a month, but then again that would have cost me more than a hundred dollars more.

Storm 4-17-23.JPG
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 04-16-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I guess I should have paid for the whole month of April instead of just a half a month, but then again that would have cost me more than a hundred dollars more.
    Two quick questions: 1) Can you not pay by the plow instead of by the month? and 2) Is $100 or a little more that important to you compared to dying of a heart attack by plowing yourself?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Two quick questions: 1) Can you not pay by the plow instead of by the month? and 2) Is $100 or a little more that important to you compared to dying of a heart attack by plowing yourself?

Don
    The main reason why I don't have my snow plower come after April 15th is because the ground has pretty much melted and thawed by then. If he plowes after a warm spell, he will dig up my lawn with the plow. Several inches of snow is not much and will melt in a few days this time of year.

They were predicting anywhere from 1 to 6 inches of snow for us. I figured not a big deal, but we ended up getting the high end of the forecast. It was more like 5 inches. However, the western end of the U.P. and northern WI got hit hard. Reports of 22 inches of snow. Anyway, I spent an hour and a half shoveling everything today. Heck, the storm is still not over. It is still snowing.

Most snow plowers charge by the month and not the time, and they want a six month contract. I talked mine into going for only 5 months. I'm pretty sure if we got hit with 22 inches my plower would come if I asked, and he would just charge for the one time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast