Thread: Soft numbers not your original 2 cards

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Soft numbers not your original 2 cards

Basic strategy is based on your 1st 2 cards and dealer up card, Ihave been playing my first 3 cards for soft counts on the same basis, obviously without being able to double

Example: I have a 2, 4 showing, dealer has 6 ... I get an A so soft 17, I have been hitting ... is this right> Any cheat cards based on 1st 3 cards?

I am still play min $10, inc bet $5 each tc +1 for +2 or higher, Dealer hits soft 17, ASM, 6 Decks, Double after splits, Split 3 times, only 1 card each after splitting aces, double on 1st 2 cards only,

If you hold: A,2 thru A,6, always hit. A,7, stand vs. 2-8 and hit vs. 9, T, and Ace. A,8 and higher, always stand.

Simple!

Don

Thanks Don. PBJ is inquiring about having 2,4 then hitting and getting an A, so their s17 is 2,4,A. Does that play the same as 6,A.

I would treat it as such, myself, but my opinion is certainly not valuable here.

T

Quote Originally Posted by karpov View Post
    Thanks Don. PBJ is inquiring about having 2,4 then hitting and getting an A, so their s17 is 2,4,A. Does that play the same as 6,A.
    I've never used the term "soft 17" (or soft anything) when referring to a player's hand--ever. It's the wrong way to consider the hand. The hand is Ace + the sum of any other cards in the hand, in this case, Ace-six.

And so, the rules I gave reflect this proper way of considering the hands.

Don

karpov is correct for what I was asking. I have been taking a 4th card, because it's a free hit.

A,6 v 6 makes sense to double to put more money down.

For 2,4,A v 6 I didn't know if it might make more sense in one way not to hit because you could turn a soft 17 into a 14 which is a worse hand, especially since you won't hit when the dealer has a 6. So at this point there is no additional reward for taking the extra card (like there would have been if ou doubled)

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    If you hold: A,2 thru A,6, always hit. A,7, stand vs. 2-8 and hit vs. 9, T, and Ace. A,8 and higher, always stand.

Simple!

Don
    I get what you are saying, now.

Just to clarify, though.

A,7, stand vs. 2-8 ... most sheets show if it can be doubled you do for A,7 vs. 3-6 ... is this not true?

Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    I get what you are saying, now.

Just to clarify, though.

A,7, stand vs. 2-8 ... most sheets show if it can be doubled you do for A,7 vs. 3-6 ... is this not true?
    Your question was for MULTI-card soft hands! We aren't discussing the proper doubling, which I assumed you knew. We're discussing specifically what you do when you CAN'T double, no??

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Your question was for MULTI-card soft hands! We aren't discussing the proper doubling, which I assumed you knew. We're discussing specifically what you do when you CAN'T double, no??

Don
    You're right I was originally asking for multi-card soft hands ... my last question about doubling was to clarify and make sure I had it right ... thank you