See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    First computer I programmed was several hundred pounds. The only input/output was a flexowriter. A typewriter with a paper tape reader/puncher. You couldn't just change a line of code on paper tape. Had to read it in and punch a new copy. Many years later we got to use CRTs instead of punch cards and printers. I remember when we got 300 baud modems to replace our 110 baud modems. We watched in glee at the huge speed increase. Now I have a optical fiber I'Net connection at one gigabit and complain if it slows down.

Long before asteroids became popular, I played it at IBM on an IBM 2250 display attached to a dedicated IBM 1130 computer. The 2250 cost about $2,000,000 in current dollars. The 1130 rented for about $8,000 a month in current dollars. And people complain about the price of games these days.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    First computer I programmed was several hundred pounds. The only input/output was a flexowriter. A typewriter with a paper tape reader/puncher. You couldn't just change a line of code on paper tape. Had to read it in and punch a new copy. Many years later we got to use CRTs instead of punch cards and printers. I remember when we got 300 baud modems to replace our 110 baud modems. We watched in glee at the huge speed increase. Now I have a optical fiber I'Net connection at one gigabit and complain if it slows down.

Long before asteroids became popular, I played it at IBM on an IBM 2250 display attached to a dedicated IBM 1130 computer. The 2250 cost about $2,000,000 in current dollars. The 1130 rented for about $8,000 a month in current dollars. And people complain about the price of games these days.
    My first programs were developed on an IBM S/360 mainframe. Fortran IV, Cobol and Assembler. I remember those punch cards where each card represented a line of code.

Sincerely,
    Cac

AMD Ryzen 7000 “Raphael” Desktop CPUs & X670 Motherboards Launch on 15th September, Announcement on 29th August-

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-...5th-september/
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

I'll add - AMD's pre-conference is due tomorrow. 4 August.

Are looking forward to ! And it looks like Zen 4 is really a breakthrough. Well, imagine that I am tearing Norm and ICaT computers with my 7600x ( now 5600x ))
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 08-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries

It won't be pleasant considering the 3rd qtr forecast. 4th qtr will be better.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    It won't be pleasant considering the 3rd qtr forecast. 4th qtr will be better.
    Only with Intel Meteor vs AMD ? ))

Blog Entries

Overall PC purchases are down and will likely remain down for another qtr. Also, their manufacturer, TSMC, is increasing prices. Also, TSMC is in Taiwan. I have enormous respect for TSMC -- but this is scary, even though they are heavily expanding in the US.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-03-2022 at 05:18 PM.

At the request of the forum members, I am posting a comparison of Ryzen-

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...1832vsm1553183

Blog Entries

The site has its uses. But, as it is an anon collaboration, you aren't certain what is overclocked and what other components are involved.

Yeah these benchmarks should be taken with a big pinch of salt, as there are a lot factors in play. Even the temperature in the room has an impact
    Chance favors the prepared mind

And so, Cacarulo and I are approaching the final assembly of his computer. From the details, we had to assemble the system on the Ryzen 5700G due to the budget, part of which was spent on the purchase of an LG 32 monitor diagonal. Keep for updates...

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    And so, Cacarulo and I are approaching the final assembly of his computer. From the details, we had to assemble the system on the Ryzen 5700G due to the budget, part of which was spent on the purchase of an LG 32 monitor diagonal. Keep for updates...
    I did not want to miss the opportunity to publicly thank my friend Grama for his generous gift. I always thought it was a joke until he contacted me saying that he was very serious and that he wanted to have that attention, so he asked me to please accept the offer.
    That is what I did and now I am in the process of building a new PC much more powerful than the one I had.
    Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Cac

The thing is, I made my promise publicly. Let me fulfill my promise just as publicly. That's how the rules should be. The thing is, I'm a professional gentleman of fortune. And I adhere to the code of honor.
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 08-10-2022 at 03:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast