Thread: CVBJ noob questions

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

CVBJ noob questions

Maybe I am in a little over my head purchasing CVCX, BJ, and Data bundle while still barely knowing basic strategy and hi-lo, but I couldn’t resist. What would be a good basic strategy to start at for a beginner counter who only knows hi-low? I picked Wong’s high low, but I keep flubbing all these indices. I’m curious if the high low indices use running count? The numbers seem very high, also the warnings are triggering for me on running count, which I assume is not a bug. Also, which strategy and indices would have the sweet 16/illustrious 18 I keep reading about? I apologize if these questions have all been asked ad nausem.

On a semi related note, even the basic strategy charts I’ve been reading seem to vary slightly. Is there a definitive best? It’s hard to focus on indices when I’m not even sure my basic strategy is good, because I see different versions on different sites for the same rule set

Blog Entries

In CVBJ, when you select a strategy, like HiLo, there are options to just use the Illustrious 18 or Sweet 16. Most indices have little gain, HiLo indices are true counted.

Basic strategy varies by rules. If you set the rules in CVBJ and then look at Basic Strategy, it will be changed according to the rules. Also, you can look at: https://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackj...rategy-engine/
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    In CVBJ, when you select a strategy, like HiLo, there are options to just use the Illustrious 18 or Sweet 16. Most indices have little gain, HiLo indices are true counted.

Basic strategy varies by rules. If you set the rules in CVBJ and then look at Basic Strategy, it will be changed according to the rules. Also, you can look at: https://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackj...rategy-engine/
    Thank you. I will use this website for basic strategy. I am almost certain I was warned at a running count of 3 that I flubbed an index of a true 3 count while using Wong’s High Low and Full Indices. I updated all my applications so hopefully it was just something wonky with my settings.

Most indices have little gain, is that in terms of EV? I have read that playing indices should
    pretty drastically increase your EV compared to playing just basic strategy and counting.

Blog Entries

With shoes, betting is more important than indices. But, I didn't say that correctly. Indices are still important. Just some more than others. Indices like 15v6 are useless in straight blackjack.

There are different methods of calculating TC. When you get an error in the game, click on True Count Calculator. You can try different options there to see how they might affect the decision.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Man. Here I thought everyone was using basic hi lo and just a few indices. I learned to count in an hour and figured I had this entire blackjack thing in the bag. Oh well.

On another note, I love the old school aesthetic of your programs. I grew up using an old laptop which ran windows 95. And these programs all have that vintage look of the old internet that hits the nostalgia quite hard for me. Now if I can just figure out how to work them to more than 10% of their capabilities, maybe we can get somewhere. Lol

"There are different methods of calculating TC "

I'm using the complete old hi lo indices, flooring true count division as suggested. For deck est should I be rounding, truncating or 95th? TY

Blog Entries

Deck est. probably rounding. Yes, flooring for the old indices.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-25-2022 at 06:50 AM.