See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lo plus perfect insurance

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    Does anyone have these publications in the archives? -
    Well ? Will I have to ask my friend Snyder? ))
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Here is what Arnold wrote to me-

“I believe the Int'l gambling Conf papers are available in the special collections library at Univ Nev Reno. Possibly the Fristedt/Heath paper also.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    In shoes the use of CA is practically impossible and forget completely if the system to be used is higher than level 2. However, an alternative is possible using "perfect EORs".
    I know it's not the same and we probably won't get the most out of it. But it is somewhat faster.
    Now, there is something I want to clarify regarding what I call "perfect EORs". The idea is to create a set of EORs for each decision instead of using the difference between
    two types of plays (hit vs stand, doubling vs hitting, etc.). For example, 11vT is going to be made up of three different EORs instead of just one:
    11vT (Hit)
    11vT (Stand)
    11vT (Double)
    For 88vT we will have four EORs:
    88vT (Hit)
    88vT (Stand)
    88vT (Double)
    88vT (Split)

Do you understand what I'm pointing to? Every time you have to evaluate a play, you will have to decide which one has the highest expected value according to the calculated EORs.
    Of course, this implies the use of many tables loaded into memory.
    Combinatorial analysis is still necessary, but only to calculate new EORs.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    I don't think I fully understand the "perfect EORs" , but I don't think I explained myself well. The concepts of Playing Efficiency and Betting Correlation as defined in Theory of Blackjack are dated and we currently have better ways to calculate them.

We know that the best theoretical (theoretical because you can't use a computer at BJ table) gain from card counting that could be achieved is using Combinatorial analysis, where a) pre-deal advantage is calculated based on the shoe composition b) the playing decision is recomputed at every step for the player based on the dealer up card, the player's hand composition and the shoe composition.

In order to quantify that advantage for a number of decks, a set of the rules and a given penetration. In order to compute playing efficiency, we can run 2 sims one using Combinatorial Analysis to recompute the playing strategy every time the player needs to make a decision, and one using indices for a given counting system. For betting strategy, we will use flat betting for both sims, because this way we can compute the gain from using Combinatorial Analysis solely to "different and better" playing decisions compared to the ones dictated by index play. Comparing the SCOREs of those two sims we will be able to compute the Playing Efficiency of the counting system which is by definition how well a system can handle changes in playing decisions.

Calculating betting correlation is bit trickier and cannot be calculated using the same method because we cant compute the pre-deal EV using one method and then use a different playing strategy. For example, we cant use Combinatorial analysis to compute the pre-deal EV and then play using Hi-Low indices. I will need to think a little bit more about computing betting correlation, but one method would be to calculate the pre-deal EV and compare it to expected EV using True Count units for that system for a given penetration.

As far as the sims, you are right they are really slow, your best bet is to use heavy parallel computing, in the sim for 1 million shoes (not nearly enough shoes of course to get a good quantitative number), i ran on 256 cores for about 8 days! I would like to port the code to CUDA to run it on GPU, but really dont have a lot of time for BJ and would like to spend the free time to do something with higher return
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Quote Originally Posted by iCountNTrack View Post
    I don't think I fully understand the "perfect EORs" , but I don't think I explained myself well. The concepts of Playing Efficiency and Betting Correlation as defined in Theory of Blackjack are dated and we currently have better ways to calculate them.

We know that the best theoretical (theoretical because you can't use a computer at BJ table) gain from card counting that could be achieved is using Combinatorial analysis, where a) pre-deal advantage is calculated based on the shoe composition b) the playing decision is recomputed at every step for the player based on the dealer up card, the player's hand composition and the shoe composition.

In order to quantify that advantage for a number of decks, a set of the rules and a given penetration. In order to compute playing efficiency, we can run 2 sims one using Combinatorial Analysis to recompute the playing strategy every time the player needs to make a decision, and one using indices for a given counting system. For betting strategy, we will use flat betting for both sims, because this way we can compute the gain from using Combinatorial Analysis solely to "different and better" playing decisions compared to the ones dictated by index play. Comparing the SCOREs of those two sims we will be able to compute the Playing Efficiency of the counting system which is by definition how well a system can handle changes in playing decisions.

Calculating betting correlation is bit trickier and cannot be calculated using the same method because we cant compute the pre-deal EV using one method and then use a different playing strategy. For example, we cant use Combinatorial analysis to compute the pre-deal EV and then play using Hi-Low indices. I will need to think a little bit more about computing betting correlation, but one method would be to calculate the pre-deal EV and compare it to expected EV using True Count units for that system for a given penetration.

As far as the sims, you are right they are really slow, your best bet is to use heavy parallel computing, in the sim for 1 million shoes (not nearly enough shoes of course to get a good quantitative number), i ran on 256 cores for about 8 days! I would like to port the code to CUDA to run it on GPU, but really dont have a lot of time for BJ and would like to spend the free time to do something with higher return
    You explained yourself perfectly and the method you are proposing is the correct way to do it. But the problem with that method is that it is unfeasible. A million shoes is too little to get a meaningful sample and that only took you 8 days using 256 cores!
    Regarding the use of EORs, one can obtain very good approximations to what would be the perfect values obtained with CA and in such a reasonable time that it could even be run on my "humble computer"
    I am sure that the results obtained by the EORs method would be as satisfactory as those obtained by CA.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Completely agree with this bomb.
    Finally I took some time to analyze Halves with a side count of tens for insurance.
    The results are quite good, although it still fails to overcome HO2/A.

Let's look at the SCORES for 6D,S17,DOA,DAS,SPA1,SPL3,NS,4.5/6 and R22:

1) Halves alone:

1-12: 23.55
    1-16: 27.65

2) Halves/Ten:

1-12: 24.99
    1-16: 29.14

The ten side count for insurance improves the system 5.4%.
    However, HO2/A continues to lead the ranking:

3) HO2/A:

1-12: 25.53
    1-16: 29.74

Sincerely,
    Cac

Yeah HO2/ ASC is really powerful
    Chance favors the prepared mind

However, HO2/A continues to lead the ranking
    This is strange... Try Change - Halves betting only, Unb Ten hand draw...
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 08-20-2022 at 11:22 AM.

This is strange... Try Change - Halves betting only, Unb Ten hand draw...
    Hi Grama, would you please translate? I don't understand what you want.

Sincerely,
    Cac

To play hands, use the Unbalanced Ten system and indices. And Halves only for betting.

To play hands, use the Unbalanced Ten system and indices. And Halves only for betting.
    The idea is interesting as it brings together a system with a very high PE (including perfect insurance) with one that has a very high BC.
    We'll see if the result beats HO2/A or not. The simulation is on its way.

Sincerely,
    Cac

The idea is interesting as it brings together a system with a very high PE (including perfect insurance) with one that has a very high BC.
    We'll see if the result beats HO2/A or not. The simulation is on its way.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    What could be simpler than Freightman’s Rule of 9 (sometimes 8)

Using 6 deck hi lo, strike point is 33.33333% 10 value cards remaining.
    By 1/2 decks
    5.5 decks 286 cards 96-10 33.33%
    5.0 decks 260 cards 87-10 33.46% reduced 9 cards
    4.5 decks 234 cards 78-10 33.33% reduced 9 cards
    4.0 decks 208 cards 70-10 33.65% reduced 8 cards
    3.5 decks 182 cards 61-10 33.51% reduced 9 cards
    3.0 decks 156 cards 52-10 33.33% reduced 9 cards
    2.5 decks 130 cards 44-10 33.84% reduced 8 cards
    2.0 decks 104 cards 35-10 33.65% reduced 9 cards
    1.5 decks 78 cards 26-10 33.33% reduced 9 cards
    1.0 decks 52 cards 18-10 34.61% reduced 8 cards
    0.5 decks 26 cards 9-10 34.61% reduced 9 cards

Mostly a reduction of 9 (sometimes 8) 10 value cards per 1/2 deck starting from 5.5 decks. Note, no 10 value cards appear in first 1/2 deck in order for insurance to be justified at 5.5 decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Note, no 10 value cards appear in first 1/2 deck in order for insurance to be justified at 5.5 decks.
    Technically, not quite right. At 192 non-tens and 94 tens, it's a toss-up. So, at 191 non-tens and 95 tens, insurance is justified.

Don

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Technically, not quite right. At 192 non-tens and 94 tens, it's a toss-up. So, at 191 non-tens and 95 tens, insurance is justified.

Don
    Freightman’s Pro Tip
    When Rule of 9 produces a strike percentage of EXACTLY 33.33333%, consider hand quality prior to making insurance decision

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast