See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CV Index

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    With the rules these days, that's the only choice.
    Wasn't the entire point of that study to show that it is okay to use a S17 strategy for a H17 game? If you look at the chart on the bottom, there is little difference between the green and red curve. You wrote, "The difference between the red and green lines is the loss playing an H17 game with S17 rules. There is barely any loss at all. What we see is a very small penalty for using incorrect tables".

MJ

Blog Entries

Well, the point was, if you only want to learn one set of indices and play a mixture of rules evenly, S17 tables are better than the H17 tables and the non-DAS tables are better than the DAS tables. If you play mostly one set of rules, learn that set.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Norm, can CVIndex generate RA indices for doubling down on soft 21 vs 4,5,6?

MJ

In 4.5/6, regular indices are 11, 9, and 8. Figure the r-a ones to be about 2 higher. In other words, you won't get to do this once in your life!

Don

Blog Entries

I never bothered with doubling soft 21 as it's so rare.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I never bothered with doubling soft 21 as it's so rare.
    Ahhhh...bummer. Couldn't this still be figured out using CVCX by trial and error? What if I simulated 10 billion rounds per index value and then picked the one that maximized SCORE? Does CVCX permit assigning index values for doubling soft 21? I only see A2 through A9 on the Soft Double Down page. Can A10 be added by the user or is this fixed?

Don, thanks Don but I'm simulating KO.

MJ

Blog Entries

I did this once, about 47 years ago. And, it was the wrong play. If you did do it and won, you'd probably be pegged as a hole carder.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    In 4.5/6, regular indices are 11, 9, and 8. Figure the r-a ones to be about 2 higher. In other words, you won't get to do this once in your life!
    Is this play really that rare? I've heard stories of players doubling soft 21. The MIT Teams used it on occasion. After adding 2, your numbers become 13, 11, 10. The MIT Team used the following numbers to maximize CE: 12, 9.5, 9.5. Yes, this play is a rarity.

MJ

Blog Entries

The MIT teams often played deeply dealt, single deck.

I did this once, about 47 years ago. And, it was the wrong play. If you did do it and won, you'd probably be pegged as a hole carder.
    Can this not be simulated on CVCX?

Blog Entries

No.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
    Yes, this play is a rarity.
    I used a little hyperbole. I did a quick, back of the envelope calculation. You might make this play about once every 70,000 hands or so.

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12