See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Indexes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    5800x3d brings all modern games to the level of the most modern processors. This way I solved the problem with my GPU stall. But 5900x is 50% better in multithreading. I'm at a loss for a choice...
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

By the way, did you switch to the 13th generation from Intel and DDR 5? )))

Blog Entries

I switched to Alder Lake (12th) when it came out with DDR5. I would have preferred DDR4; but there were no good motherboards available. 13the gen would be better for what I do. Hyper-threading isn't as useful as when first introduced. Modern CPUs are incredibly efficient. They keep the CPU so busy that hyperthreading doesn't really add that much. So, better to have lots of efficiency cores that don't have two threads and create less heat. 13th gen also has large L2 caches. Some games like enormous L3 caches, hence the AMD x3D. I haven't measured it -- but would guess that larger L2 caches are better for simulation. L2 caches are far faster than L3.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I don't know AMD's GPUs. I have read that the x3d's are only useful in some games that like very large caches and they don't seem to tell you which. I don't play those kinds of games and haven't looked further.
    Do you game? If so, what genres?

Blog Entries

I don't like modern shoot up games or games that talk. Only game I play is Civ V, which I play while cooking dinner. My monitor is 49" dual QHD 5120x1440; but only use two-thirds of it for Civ so I can keep track of email, etc. The monitor is very useful for software development.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I switched to Alder Lake (12th) when it came out with DDR5. I would have preferred DDR4; but there were no good motherboards available. 13the gen would be better for what I do. Hyper-threading isn't as useful as when first introduced. Modern CPUs are incredibly efficient. They keep the CPU so busy that hyperthreading doesn't really add that much. So, better to have lots of efficiency cores that don't have two threads and create less heat. 13th gen also has large L2 caches. Some games like enormous L3 caches, hence the AMD x3D. I haven't measured it -- but would guess that larger L2 caches are better for simulation. L2 caches are far faster than L3.
    Is it time to change your 12900 to 13900 already?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...5583vsm1946957

Much faster OC 64-core speed.
    +49%
    64-Core
    Avg. Multi Core Speed 2817 Pts 4145 Pts Much faster 64-core speed.
    +47%

Blog Entries

I'll wait for Arrow Lake, 15th gen 2nm.

))

I don't like modern shoot up games or games that talk. Only game I play is Civ V, which I play while cooking dinner. My monitor is 49" dual QHD 5120x1440; but only use two-thirds of it for Civ so I can keep track of email, etc. The monitor is very useful for software development.
    Growing up, I convinced my dad that Civilization was an educational game worthy of purchase and allowance of my time. I thought I was getting one over on him, but I actually did learn a lot from it!

Regarding ultrawide monitors, it leads to a suggestion I wanted to run by you. Having the option for CVBJ to be expanded to a wide/ultrawide aspect ratio would be much more immersive and realistic to counting a table. Would that be a lot of work to implement?

Blog Entries

Larger is generally better. It will expand to 49". But no, that's too much in my mind.

By the way, I upgraded from 5600x to 5800x3d and from Asus Tuf b450m - Pro Gaming to Asus Rog Strix b550 E Gaming.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Don't try to overclock it, which is allowed on some motherboards. The x3d's have been experiencing burn ups. There are updates; but they don't completely solve it. Mostly with the 7000 series though.

Norm, we need your approval. For my 2k LG QN- 600 monitor 32 , I bought a 3060 ti graphics card. Its good?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast