See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Variations on the classic "double slit" physics experiment are really fascinating

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Variations on the classic "double slit" physics experiment are really fascinating

I won't even TRY to explain what this topic is about. But it's one of those things where reality is way more fascinating than any fiction could be, and it only has to do with how everything in the universe works. This classic lecture by Richard Feynman is a great introduction to the weirdness of quantum mechanics and the double slit experiment. Nobody explains it like he can, and this lecture holds up very well after many decades. I've watched it 3 times and it never stops getting really weird.

This cartoon by "Dr. Quantum" is the best short video of the same concept as the Feynman lecture
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdPi...SmEC7&index=12

Two 15 minute episodes of the show PBS Spacetime, "The Quantum Experiment that Broke Reality" and "How the Quantum Eraser Rewrites the Past"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MN...USmEC7&index=9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORL...USmEC7&index=8

But if you want to put the breaks on some of the woo stuff that may be due to over-interpreting or over-hyping some aspects of the subject, this lady tamps down some of the hype (but things are still really weird).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQv5CVELG3U

Banned or Suspended

How is Richard Feynman related to blackjack? Are you in physics? Feynman probably will not beat blackjack even in his days.

Blog Entries

This is the MISC forum. Haven't seen the video. But, Quantum entanglement and Quantum computing are indeed fascinating.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    How is Richard Feynman related to blackjack?
    How is anything you post ever related to CORRECT blackjack information?

What happened to "I will read more, post less?"

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    How is Richard Feynman related to blackjack? Are you in physics? Feynman probably will not beat blackjack even in his days.
    Feynman was one of the most outstanding geniuses who also had the rare gift of being able to communicate with regular people. I’m sure that if he ever applied himself to blackjack he would have crushed the game mathematically while having a great personable & chatty act on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    This is the MISC forum. Haven't seen the video. But, Quantum entanglement and Quantum computing are indeed fascinating.
    Yeah, there’s more and more progress with quantum computing that will really change the world (hopefully for the better) once it gets going full steam.

Entanglement is really weird. The experimental setups used by scientists to see entanglement in a very controlled environment allows a signal to be seen above the everyday noise, but the implication is that everything is entangled with everything else, we just don’t normally observe it. Entanglement shows connecting relationships that work outside of our normal space & time. Are things connected forwards and backwards in time in ways we don’t fully grasp?

The thing that surprised me about this area was that I didn’t know about more recent experiments (the last 20 - 30 years) where the experimental setups keep getting more and more clever. I thought it was a stale field of physics with nothing new going on. It’s a difficult topic to report on to lay people is probably why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Speaking of everything being related to everything:

For my doctoral degree (which I never finished), I (we) was investigating the effect of distance, intercessory prayer on mental health outcome. (I realize discussion of religion is not permitted on this Forum. I hope me mentioning prayer in context of a bigger story doesn't ruffle any feathers.). Also, one could perhaps substitute "positive intent" for the word "prayer."

Anyway, the double-blind study failed to show statistical significance between the group of folks who were going to counseling and the group of folks who were going to counseling AND receiving the distant prayer, perhaps due to our small sample size. Anyway, out of the data emerged a moderate Cohen's d effect size for prayer, suggesting with more participants we may have achieved statistical significance.

Anyway, while reviewing the existing literature on the effectiveness of prayer, I came across a study I will try to summarize with accuracy. The study was retrospective in design. People prayed for people who YEARS PRIOR had been patients in a certain hospital. That subset of patients fared better than other of their peer patients in the hospital at the same time, suggesting prayer may (also) work BACKWARDS in time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Speaking of everything being related to everything:

For my doctoral degree (which I never finished), I (we) was investigating the effect of distance, intercessory prayer on mental health outcome. (I realize discussion of religion is not permitted on this Forum. I hope me mentioning prayer in context of a bigger story doesn't ruffle any feathers.). Also, one could perhaps substitute "positive intent" for the word "prayer."

Anyway, the double-blind study failed to show statistical significance between the group of folks who were going to counseling and the group of folks who were going to counseling AND receiving the distant prayer, perhaps due to our small sample size. Anyway, out of the data emerged a moderate Cohen's d effect size for prayer, suggesting with more participants we may have achieved statistical significance.

Anyway, while reviewing the existing literature on the effectiveness of prayer, I came across a study I will try to summarize with accuracy. The study was retrospective in design. People prayed for people who YEARS PRIOR had been patients in a certain hospital. That subset of patients fared better than other of their peer patients in the hospital at the same time, suggesting prayer may (also) work BACKWARDS in time!!

You've piqued my curiosity. I battled depression for a number of years and only recently believe it to be no longer significant in my life. In an attempt to overcome it, I began intravenous ketamine infusions at a clinic. It was at this time that I also begun to ponder about the possibilities in the game of blackjack.