See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2021-2022 in the U.P.

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    When I first started driving, I went out to a large, snow covered mall when it was empty and practiced throwing the car into slides, spins, drifts, etc. to learn how to handle it if I ran into such on roads. Came in useful. They really don't teach people how to drive. Much later, in the largest NJ blizzard in decades, I drove my motorcycle a couple miles, passing stuck cars and even a stuck snow plow. The advantage of a bike is it rarely gets stuck. The disadvantage (in addition to the cold), is that with a fresh snowfall after a previous snow, there are hidden ruts under the fresh snow that grab the tires of a two wheeled vehicle requiring some quick action to avoid dropping the bike.
    Last edited by Norm; 12-14-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Norm, that sounds pretty intense. Never ridden a bike but I would love to. I might be out of my comfort zone with a motorcycle on the snow.

After the snow and ice was plowed off the roads one time, I was driving through a 2 lane express toll (EZ Pass). While going about 65 MPH, with an 18 wheeler on my left, I realized they plowed and left a literal wall of ice taking up half my lane. The 18 wheeler didn't make any adjustments for me, and no time to determine if it was safe to drop behind it. I got so close to the truck I was almost underneath it, I could have reached out my window to touch it, and on the other side, I drove close enough to the wall of ice that it knocked my side mirror off. One of the few times I was rattled afterwards because I'm usually calm all the other times I almost died.

MWP, a few years ago you posted something about moving to a warmer climate (St. George?), at least for winter.
    What happened to that?

With the big bucks you're making from your online promo play, you should be able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    When I first started driving, I went out to a large, snow covered mall when it was empty and practiced throwing the car into slides, spins, drifts, etc. to learn how to handle it if I ran into such on roads. Came in useful. They really don't teach people how to drive.<snip>
    My Drivers Ed teacher made us practice controlling the car through skids and braking on slippery surfaces (this was before antilock brakes), both invaluable skills.

Dog Hand

P.S. with antilock brakes, just stomp hard on the brake to stop as quickly as possible on ice: you cannot "pump the pedal" nearly as accurately as the ABS does.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    P.S. with antilock brakes, just stomp hard on the brake to stop as quickly as possible on ice: you cannot "pump the pedal" nearly as accurately as the ABS does.
    I can stop faster with regular non-antilock brakes, the technique is simply to apply the exact amount of brake that is just shy of causing the wheels to lock/skid. This requires staying calm & making fine adjustments, so for most people it might be better to follow instinct and mash down on ABS brakes.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    We are under a winter storm warning. It was suppose to start at 10:00 pm on 1/4/22 with wind gusts up to 50 mph and a foot of snow. They already cancelled the schools for tomorrow. So far not a flake of snow in the sky and no wind. The storm doesn't look too bad on radar.

Anyway, I always enjoy a good blizzard. It is the clean up afterwards that I don't enjoy. Check out the U.P. web cams tomorrow.
    https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post294374

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It was a dud of a storm. When I went out to shovel there was only about 4 inches of snow. However, a couple more inches has come down since then. My snow plower actually came twice today which was nice. I did spend quite a bit of time shoveling with my yooper scooper. The worst part is when its real cold like this my nose starts to run and I have to come in like every 15 minutes to blow it or it will drip on my jacket.

Like they say: "When your nose is runny and you think its funny it's snot."
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-06-2022 at 01:45 AM.

Haven't given an update on our winter for awhile. I'm sure 21forme is missing the tidbits. Anyway, we are at the halfway point in winter. No really big storms yet. Most snow so far has been around 10 to 12 inches in a dumping. It has been kind of windy so getting killed by lake effect snow of 2 or 3 inches each day. The wind keeps the big lake from freezing. On Wed -41 wind chills were forecast. Today called to get my roof shoveled.

Anyway, its time for the good folks on the east coast to be up to their asses in snow for a change. Norm, winter storm Kenan is coming, make sure you buy bread and milk.

Blog Entries

Probably not too bad here. It's been snowing for hours and there is no snow on the streets or sidewalks. I like snow that doesn't land. Some will accumulate overnight and tomorrow; but they'll spend the night and Saturday dumping it into the rivers. The building will probably be creaking all night as it bends with the 45 mph winds. Give the new mayor something to do. Now Long Island will probably be bad. Heavy snow and hurricane winds.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Holy shit, are you still the forum's weatherman for the forum? @Midwest_Player
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Holy shit, are you still the forum's weatherman for the forum? @Midwest_Player
    This weekend I spend some time watching winter storm Kenan on the weather channel. I must admit I enjoy watching a good winter storm especially the live shots. This one poor guy got pulled out by a wrecker only to drive a couple of feet and get stuck again. Hell, the guy had 4 wheel drive. Learn how to drive in snow.

Yeah, we don't ever make the national news when it snows. The weather channel reporters don't show up to cover our weather. In fact we haven't even had a decent snow storm this year. However, we still have snow banks that are probably higher than those out east from their big storm.

Here is just a typical January day in the Keweenaw in the U.P.

jan23-2.jpg

What now! The groundhog has died just a couple of days ago, however don't worry the sun always comes out on groundhog's day where I live and thus sees his shadow. This year was no different. The sun was out for at least awhile and now lake effect snow is starting up again. 12 more weeks of winter for us.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/02/01/10773...ltown-mel-dies

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast