See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2021-2022 in the U.P.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Winter 2021-2022 in the U.P.

First snow of the winter happened today 11/1/21. Last year we got snow in the middle of October.
    http://www.uarhosting.com/parkview/image.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I remember it well. November 10, 1975 terrible November storm. Now this weekend upper Midwest is due for another nasty storm. Some areas have blizzard warnings.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Winter storm warning is up for all of the U.P. this Sunday and Monday. Over 10 inches of snow forecast. This will be our first real winter storm of the year as snowfall so far as only amounted to a few inches.

Yep, today I bought my first snowblower in my entire life. Its an EGO cordless electric 2 stage snowblower with the monster 10Ah battery. I don't really need this beast as I have a snowplower for my driveway and my yooper scooper works pretty well for my path. However, if something happens to my snowplower like covid I will be up shit's creek. I'm just too old to tackle my driveway with my yooper scooper. These Ego 2 stage beasts are hard to find. I was waiting since August for it and it just came in yesterday. Wish me luck with it.

Also wish me luck on my two $500 free bets tomorrow. I took the spread on the Cardinals and also on the Vikings.

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 PM EST MONDAY...

WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 9 to 16 inches. Southeast winds gusting up to 35 mph this afternoon, and north to northwest winds gusting to 35 to 45 mph late tonight and Monday morning.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The moderate to heavy snow will transition to lake effect snow showers Monday afternoon.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 12-05-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Center of Hawaii's big island is expecting a foot of snow today.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Of course the center of that Island is the peak of Mauna Kea at 13,803 feet. While it's not uncommon for there to be snow at the peak, one foot in one drop is a lot. It was a very interesting experience to drive from sea level (85 degrees F) to the summit (20 degrees F with snow). Quite the change in climate over a short period of time! It only takes about 30 minutes to drive to the 10,000 foot level where they make you stop for two hours to acclimate to the altitude and another 20 minutes to reach the summit (4 wheel drive, low ratio only) where one of our party did experience altitude sickness.

The reason we were there was to tour the massive telescopes and then watch the sun set from the summit.

Blog Entries

Maui has two of the top ten wettest places on Earth -- and yet has constant water shortages. There's a $500 fine for washing your car in some areas. Of course, the rain is also at high altitude. I was never tempted to go up for the bike ride down.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

But I hope you still drove up and down. The crater of Haleakala is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.

We also did the "forbidden" drive around the North shore of Maui and found out that it is forbidden for good reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    We also did the "forbidden" drive around the North shore of Maui and found out that it is forbidden for good reason!
    Please explain.

Sorry for hijacking your thread MWP. We now return you to your regularly scheduled snowfall.

Last hijack post -- I promise.

When you rent a car on Maui, there is a clause in the contract stating that you agree not to drive the road on the North shore. That's why I called it the "forbidden" drive. We did it anyway and found out why. It's a one lane dirt road on a high cliff above the ocean with no guard rail and traffic in both directions. There are occasional places wide enough for cars to pass, if everyone pays attention, but not everyone does. Very stressful! .

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Interesting... I recall driving a similar road (no ocean). It was a long time ago, but I think it was Capital Reef NP in Utah. It was a narrow canyon rim dirt road. After a short time on it, the wife freaked out and I turned around at the first opportunity

Also, can't imagine why you'd apologize to MWP for hijacking an off-topic nonsense thread of his.

First Wipe-Out of This Winter
    So far this winter we received a little over 5 feet of snow with over 3 feet in the first 10 days of December. However the last couple of days we have been having near record high temps.
    https://www.keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall-full.php

Today was garbage day and I usually don't put on boots to just bring out the garbage. I usually go out to test the path and see if it is slippery before I bring out the garbage. If there is just a little snow on the path, it is not slippery and my shoes will work fine. However today when I went out with just my shoes it was very slippery with melting the day before and then freezing at night. As I was going down the slight decline to the road I started to slip and when I got down to the bottom where my snowplower scrapes the snow it was like a sheet of glass. Down I went and landed hard on my back. My glasses went flying. It was so slippery I couldn't get up at the bottom of my path. I actually had to crawl through some yellow snow to get to a spot that was snow covered to be able to stand up again. The fall kind of knocked the wind out of me, but I guess when you are a septuagenarian any fall can be serious. Hopefully the fall knocked my heart back to a normal rhythm. No other injuries except a scraped elbow.

Now we will all know when 21forme reads this because as usual he will give it an unhelpful like he did for all my posts in this thread.

I believe myself to be one of the most skilled drivers on snow, and I have this odd trait that when it snows, especially about 5 inches or so before it gets plowed, I LOVE to go joy riding in the fresh snow. I grew up in Alaska, and learned how the snow interacts with substrate (pavement, asphalt, etc.) By walking thousands of miles on snow, I developed this feel for the physics of snow & ice interacting with surfaces. So when I learned to drive, I have this feel for the snow and ice such that nothing unexpected ever happens. I skid and slide, but it always follows how my mind predicts, how I intended. I lived in Minnesota too and one time during a "snow emergency" when all cars were ordered off the road, I drove through downtown Minneapolis like a fucking mad man, the only car in the whole city it seemed, and it was one of the most wonderful adrenaline-fueled adventures in my life.

Edit: and all I need for driving in such snow is a 2-wheel (front) drive car. I've never been stuck in the snow. Sure, 4 wheel drive is nice, but the challenge of 2-wheel drive makes the experience more thrilling.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast