See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximizing the advantages of early surrender

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Maximizing the advantages of early surrender

So, I'm getting back into the swing of counting, after taking a hiatus for several years....

These are the parameters for the game I currently have access to:

ENHC, DAS (4 hands), full early surrender, S17, dealer BJ takes all, 6 decks hand shuffle.

I've entered the above game parameters into a couple online strategy calculators to learn the basic strategy for this game.

I don't have access to any simulation software, so the amount of analysis I can do at present is virtually nil.

I am curious if anyone might know at what TC I would surrender a hard 13 versus a dealer 10? The online strategy calculators I'm using both state that I should surrender hard 14-16 against dealer 10.

Given how valuable early surrender seems to be for EV, this sort of circumstance could make the list of my personalized 'illustrious 18" for this game's rules. This is just my intuition, and analysis often counters such ideas.

Grateful in advance for any thoughts on how to maximize the advantages of early surrender.

Cheers

tal32bur,

Wong's "Professional Blackjack" Table A1 Part 4 Surrender gives a HiLo index of +5 if you have 10,3 or 9,4 and +1 if you have 8,5 or 7,6 for ES vs. X.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by tal32bur View Post
    So, I'm getting back into the swing of counting, after taking a hiatus for several years....

These are the parameters for the game I currently have access to:

ENHC, DAS (4 hands), full early surrender, S17, dealer BJ takes all, 6 decks hand shuffle.

I've entered the above game parameters into a couple online strategy calculators to learn the basic strategy for this game.

I don't have access to any simulation software, so the amount of analysis I can do at present is virtually nil.

I am curious if anyone might know at what TC I would surrender a hard 13 versus a dealer 10? The online strategy calculators I'm using both state that I should surrender hard 14-16 against dealer 10.

Given how valuable early surrender seems to be for EV, this sort of circumstance could make the list of my personalized 'illustrious 18" for this game's rules. This is just my intuition, and analysis often counters such ideas.

Grateful in advance for any thoughts on how to maximize the advantages of early surrender.

Cheers

tal32bur, can you contact me my email.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by G Man; 03-20-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    tal32bur,

Wong's "Professional Blackjack" Table A1 Part 4 Surrender gives a HiLo index of +5 if you have 10,3 or 9,4 and +1 if you have 8,5 or 7,6 for ES vs. X.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Oh wow! thanks Dog Hand.

Just downloaded the book and saw that table. This is perfect!

Found an old thread from 2019 with responses from DSCHLES and GMAN regarding ES indexes. Answers found.

Quote Originally Posted by tal32bur View Post
    Close but no cigar. ;-)

I guarantee you, we are not in the same location.

Max bets are so low in USD terms, I dont do this for anything but love of the game. But its fun to have the advantage.
    Ok thanks. Can you delete my quote?

Quote Originally Posted by bjarg View Post
    Ok thanks. Can you delete my quote?

*poof* like it never existed.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    tal32bur,

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    I just looked up this table, but based on the players games, Table A4 is the correct one to reference. This means HiLo index of +3, +4, +3, +2 for 10,3; 9,4; 8,5; 7,6 combinations respectively for ES vs. X.

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    I just looked up this table, but based on the players games, Table A4 is the correct one to reference. This means HiLo index of +3, +4, +3, +2 for 10,3; 9,4; 8,5; 7,6 combinations respectively for ES vs. X.

yes, I downloaded the book and perused the tables in the appendix. A4 is more applicable to my circumstance.

Thanks for pointing that out, Aceside.

Potential Indices

I haven't posted in a while. This Covid virus fiasco has pretty much trapped me in a lot of time without much to do. I decided to combine 2 of my programs - 1)input running count/pen with possible optional side counts to output probability of drawing each rank and 2)normal combinatorial analysis. This thread is at least somewhat relevant to what the result of this outputs, which among other things are indices.

Briefly the program could output running count (not true count) indices for any pen. I have settled on defaulting to half shoe pen. Relative to this thread, below is the output for player hand of T-3 for HiLo, s17, ENHC, 6 decks (half shoe) - (9-4 v T is >=11, 8-5 v T is >=9, 7-6 v T is >=8). Total dependent for hard 13 v T is >=10 (only considers up card - player hand is 13 composed of nothing.)

Code:
    Count tags {1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,0,0,0,1}
    Composition dependent indices for hand, rules, number of decks, and pen
    Player hand composition: 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1:  Hard 13, 2 cards
    Decks: 6 (possible input for cards remaining: 1 to 312)
    Cards remaining before up card = 156
    No subgroups are defined

i>=9        2      3      4      5      6      7      8      9      T      A

Stand    >=-1   >=-5  >=-10  >=-15  >=-15      h      h      h      h      h
    Double      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
    Pair        -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
    LS          -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -
    ES          -      -      -      -      -      -      -      -   >=10      r

Press any key to continue
    k_c
    Last edited by k_c; 03-20-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Who's using Hi-Lo running counts for playing decisions ?
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Who's using Hi-Lo running counts for playing decisions ?
    User is able to enter any count tags he wants. Level 1 counts execute very efficiently. Level 2 counts are still pretty efficient. Fewer decks are faster.

The only level 3 count I've tried is Wong Halves. T-6 displays almost instantaneously for single deck; takes a little less than a minute for 4 decks; takes around 24 minutes for 8 decks. This is on a 10 year old laptop.

k_c

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast