See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Will Moving More Than $10,000 by ACH Trigger a CTR

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Will Moving More Than $10,000 by ACH Trigger a CTR

Assume someone transfers more than $10,000 from their checking account to the brokerage account by ACH over the internet. Will this be reported as a CTR transaction?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Unfortunately yes. Bank software is designed to automatically report any transactions that is more than $10000. What's worse is they are not required to tell you that they have created a CTR filling unless you ask them for it directly. On top of that the trigger is not based on one transaction most of the time they are triggered based on the combined transaction in one day to one location.

Why do you need to evade a CTR report for a brokerage account?

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    That's not a currency transaction. CTR's are for currency.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    That's not a currency transaction. CTR's are for currency.
    Agree.

If you declare your income and pay your taxes, CTRs are meaningless.

Norm your right. My bad I didn't read the ACH part of the sentence from Midwest. Though 10K is very high for an ACH transaction which might trigger a SAR though.

Blog Entries

Nah. There are a vast number of SARs automatically pumped out each night by banks. But, this is too trivial and common; unless your bank just reports everything.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Fair enough. My only excuse is I'm from Malaysia and we don't have an ACH network in place for our banks here so I'm not too familiar with all the different financial institutions in the US.

Blog Entries

IIRC, Malaysia banking is interesting due to the secrecy between spouses required by the fact some people have four wives.

Super rare nowadays. Cause the Shariah court in Malaysia is very strict when they give permission one of the requirements is they must financially be able to sustain the wives.

Though my Grandfather who is Chinese had 3 wives. But this was before Malaysia became a sovereign nation in 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by WiraGames View Post
    Super rare nowadays. Cause the Shariah court in Malaysia is very strict when they give permission one of the requirements is they must financially be able to sustain the wives.

Though my Grandfather who is Chinese had 3 wives. But this was before Malaysia became a sovereign nation in 1957.
    Though my Grandfather who is Chinese had 3 wives.
    Guess it broke the monogamy of the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Guess it broke the monogamy of the situation
    You have no idea how many Aunts and Uncles I have.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    ACH debits and credits don't trigger CTR or SARs. There is no need to as they already create a paper trail. Agree with others above, if you pay your taxes CTRs are no threat. Zillions of them get created and in a sense your willingness to do them shows you aren't trying to hide anything. It gives you some amount legal cover in case something bad happens later. (like cash seized or you're accused of money laundering just for having a bankroll).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk