See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motley Fool rundown on Vegas

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

I used to think I was knowledgeable about the market
    I'm not ashamed to say - I don't think that anymore - I don't think I know much of anything
    recession with 10% unemployment and the market goes way up - I don't get it at all

before John Bogle died I read a story that he was very upset because so much of Vanguard had become about speculation - which was the opposite of what he was about

it seems like the current generation - the movers and shakers - are all about speculation - not about long term investing
    I haven't sold - I'm still hanging tough - but I haven't got a clue
    The last two days have been fairly brutal. Not correction sort of dip but sizeable. What bothers me in this "new market" is that when a stock beats expectations and revenues/profits are higher than expected, it's almost the reverse of history. Instead of price going UP; it's been going DOWN in the short run. This is VERY frustrating.

And then Gamestock gains another 100% in one day trading, so if that isn't speculative/gambling, what is? LOL
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Speaking of long term or intermediate term, and not trying to turn this page into a stock touting source, BUT what do you guys think about putting cash into the high yield dividend funds for parking purposes? Money in the bank............even so called high interest savings accounts is just a waste of time. But the yield on these dividend funds is much better than a savings account and hopefully their price is fairly stable to park your funds IF you are of the opinion the market will correct sometime soon and you want to take advantage of a buying opportunity then..................who the F knows? LOL
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Don
    interesting article. What is your opinion.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/inves...ley/index.html

Funny I'm a professional private equities investor in Malaysia now trying to learn to be an AP.

From my personal experience in the US there is just too much information and most of it is not good. As Don has said about Cramer he's ordinary and most of them nowadays are a mouthpiece for one fund or another.

You can all check me out via this link to an interview a Malaysian podcaster did to me a few weeks ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOh...ature=youtu.be

As for recommendations for all the people located in the states you should all take my recommendations with a Grain of salt since my focus is in Malaysian stocks and not US stocks.
    However I would recommend for all the members located in USA to invest into Infrastructure stocks now since Texas had that power outage, like PWR (Quanta)

But I would be very careful because even though state governments and a lot of people is saying the governments really needs to invest in infrastructure in America I'm not seeing only all the governments including state government pay lip service to infrastructure development and quite a lot of the words coming out of politicians mouth is Renewable infrastructure and not basic infrastructure.

I've been in high yield funds for a very long time and I'm very pleased with their performance and their risk profile - in fact my brokerage characterized my funds as "low risk"

these funds get a bad rap because they invest in what are referred to as "junk bonds" - the vast majority of these companies are not at all "junk" - it's just unfortunate language

a few of them may be risky but the fund manager is buying hundreds and the risk is spread greatly

so my answer, for what it is worth - is that yes, they can be a good investment - but must be chosen carefully - I use them for much more than just parking - they are a significant % of my portfolio
    What are your "high yield" funds yielding? I ask only because your brokerage can characterize any fund any way it pleases, but, logically, "high yield" and "low risk" simply don't go together. Many bank these days are advertising "high yield" savings accounts at 10 times the national average. Then the small print tells you that the national average is 0.01%, while the great, high yield savings account will give you 0.10%!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Don
    interesting article. What is your opinion.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/inves...ley/index.html
    People have short memories. In the early 2000s, rates were virtually zero for almost ten years! So, when you look at current "low" bond yields, saying that they suddenly have to go from 1.5% to 3%-4% anytime soon is one man's opinion, but certainly not mine. And yes, of course, were that to happen quickly, depressing bond prices, there could surely be an exodus from the stock market into bonds that would be very harmful for equities. I just don't see that happening. When the Fed began raising rates, they did so in ten 0.25% increments that took several years. And, of course, they then walked them all the way back down to zero.

To me, I think it's axiomatic that when the pandemic is over, hopefully, by the end of the year, there is a going to be a booming economic recovery the likes of which we've rarely seen in this country. How could that not be the case? And rates will rise. The question is: how quickly--or, more importantly, how slowly?

But, my opinion doesn't matter. Listen to Jerome Powell this afternoon. He's calling the shots.

Don

Then there are the rates from the Carter years...

this is off the topic but anyway

when you mentioned Jerome Powell I put his name in google and not only his profile popped up but also that he lives in Chevy Chase Village, Maryland
    which happens to be walking distance from where I grew up

I then put Jerome Powell and Chevy Chase Village MD together into google and google accommodated by giving me his home address

this is effing insane

with all the maniacs out there for it to be that easy to get the home address of such a prominent and powerful person
    There are not as many maniacs as you think. Media gets us paranoia. One of my favorite pastime and habits is to drive across country. Most of my brown friends warn me each time not to stop in all white towns or lately, hang around in Trump country but I have never faced trouble except a time or two when I stepped into a bar late at night, a long time ago. In 50+ years, no real maniac that I have run into.
    EC5268B1-7014-4C37-AF0E-76F76F373281.jpg

I am now driving home after driving to Los Lunas, New Mexico where I picked up a corvette. Even with a flashy car, stopping in chintzy motels and local diners, nothing. Here I was parked at one, worrying about vandalism in Santa Rosa, NM yesterday..

Zee, aren't you a bit old for a mid-life crisis car?

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Zee, aren't you a bit old for a mid-life crisis car?
    True but this is senior life crises car. When age takes away most things, when hair that you were proud off has left you, the 6 pack has turned into a belly, the spouse stopped listening to you years ago, the kids have more accurate sources of info so they don’t listen either, when even your biggest source of joy over 70 years, your dick, has retired and you know that in 2-3 years, you ain’t going to be able to get into a sports coupe, you do it before it’s too late.

how would you know how many maniacs there are?...................did you count them?

of course, if one guy goes to McDonalds and orders a cheeseburger and another guy goes to McDonalds and shoots up the joint - if you were a media mogul - which person would you report on?

also, I was referring to maniacs who earn their rep off of famous and/or prominent or powerful people

you're not famous..............except on bjtf..................(~:\........................ .................................................. .......and you're definitely not powerful...................(~:\

and finally:

just because you're not paranoid..................................that doesn't mean there's not somebody out to get you...........................(~:\
    Read your own Mark Twain quote, understand it and STFU...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    What are your "high yield" funds yielding? I ask only because your brokerage can characterize any fund any way it pleases, but, logically, "high yield" and "low risk" simply don't go together. Many bank these days are advertising "high yield" savings accounts at 10 times the national average. Then the small print tells you that the national average is 0.01%, while the great, high yield savings account will give you 0.10%!

Don
    Besides what Drunk mentioned, there are others that are available. Two that I use currently are EAD (Wells Fargo Advantage Fund), not that I like Wells as a bank but it yields about 8% and also HFRO (Highland Funds/Highland Income Fund) which currently yields 8% also. They HAVE to be better than leaving money in the bank at .05% max. LOL

At least until you decide what you want to do with the cash

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You are correct Drunk. But the market has swung down lately. And charting shows it below it's averages. I'm just trying to park some money rather than leave it in the bank until the market swings back to a positive. I do not look at them as long term investments but something that yields decently for the short term. I wouldn't be leaving cash sitting in them for two years or more, to compare to your price points mentioned.

I want to be back in the market investing when things look a little more positive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123