See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motley Fool rundown on Vegas

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Unless you chart the market and pay very, very close attention, just invest in market index funds and cost average. I don't know how many funds I have had for different reasons but I can tell you that overall, none of them beat the market (through an ETF) in the long run. Recommend index ETF's because you can buy and sell them like stocks. Mutual funds you have to wait until they get their "asset value" at end of day to sell or buy. And their fees really do eat into the returns over the long run. But I'm an investor v. a trader and that is just one mindset to the market.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    Cramer is a national treasure.
    I've seen about 15 min. of Cramer rattling on once or twice, and wasn't all that impressed. He seems like a guy that chugs 10 cups of expresso, and from there says things like, "I like Chipolte, do you like Chipolte?" in an excited voice, like that really means or defines something, and jumps to the next thing. Independent research that avoids "stock tips" is the way to go, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    I've seen about 15 min. of Cramer rattling on once or twice, and wasn't all that impressed. He seems like a guy that chugs 10 cups of expresso, and from there says things like, "I like Chipolte, do you like Chipolte?" in an excited voice, like that really means or defines something, and jumps to the next thing. Independent research that avoids "stock tips" is the way to go, I think.
    Harvard educated and stock broker at Goldman Sachs. Most importantly, he has The Fed's ears and often becomes their mouth. I see no harm for average investors watching his show. And in the past, if you do what The Fed want you to do, you can make more money than people against The Fed.

Blog Entries

We don't eat dinner until his show is over as she likes to watch him. But, it's more entertainment. He follows a huge number of stocks and has a ton of facts at his fingertips. But, I wouldn't trust any of his picks and find him boring. Knowledge of the past doesn't always translate to the future. Like everything else, what's past is prologue requires context.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    Harvard educated and stock broker at Goldman Sachs. Most importantly, he has The Fed's ears and often becomes their mouth. I see no harm for average investors watching his show. And in the past, if you do what The Fed want you to do, you can make more money than people against The Fed.
    Marty Zweig: "Don't fight the Fed."

Don

Quote Originally Posted by MJGolf View Post
    And their fees really do eat into the returns over the long run.
    In case you're not aware, Fidelity S&P 500 Index fund and several others, have ZERO fees. See here:

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don

This article covers virtually all of the important points.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/inves...s-performance/

Don

"recession with 10% unemployment and the market goes way up - I don't get it at all."

Was today better?!

Don

Blog Entries

“When the waiter brought the cheese-board, there was a large carrot carved in the shape of a mermaid sitting between the Dolcelatte and the Pecorino. Teo could have sworn that the carrot-mermaid flexed her tail and plunged her little hand inside a smelly Gorgonzola. 'Tyromancy, ye know,' remarked the mermaid. 'The Ancient Art of Divination by Cheese.' Then she pulled her tiny hand out and inspected the green cheese-mold on her tiny fingers. 'Lackaday!' she moaned. 'Stinking! It goes poorly for Venice and Teodora, it do!”
    -- Michelle Lovric, The Undrowned Child

I trust sports touts more than market touts. Thing is, in the financial markets you are betting against companies with enormous bankrolls who rent spaces from the markets feet away where they have high-speed machines that will beat you on every trade. I'd rather bet against sports idiots that bet on colors and past irrelevancies.

As for the markets, I buy and hold. Riding the downs is scary. But, a decent holding will recover and meanwhile pay dividends that are better than any current fixed holdings.
    Last edited by Norm; 02-25-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Can any of you finance experts comment on Jim Cramer's competence at recommending stocks? I realize he has had some controversy in his past, but is he worth listening to? He apparently has to wait 5 days before acting on recommendations he gives on his show I believe, and on his website is a disclaimer about his Disney and Mastercard charitable trust(s).
    OTOH, didn't Cramer claim to be a card counter? Should we invite him to a chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    OTOH, didn't Cramer claim to be a card counter? Should we invite him to a chat?
    Never heard that. Maybe we should send him copies of our books!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    and meanwhile pay dividends that are better than any current fixed holdings.
    Ironically, that's what caused today's rout. The yield on the 10-yr. Treasury hit 1.49%, which is now the same as the dividend yield of the S&P 500. So, many fear a flight out of equities and into bonds. Today appeared to be day one. I hope there aren't too many more like this one.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    In case you're not aware, Fidelity S&P 500 Index fund and several others, have ZERO fees. See here:

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don
    Thanks Don, that's the point I was trying to make. Don't pay mutual fund fees. Invest through Index based ETF's. Long run, it adds to your bottom line.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast