Thread: The 2020 IRS 1040 tax form line 30 has my head spinning in a dilemma.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The 2020 IRS 1040 tax form line 30 has my head spinning in a dilemma.

I have read the 1040 instruction manual pertaining to line 30 "page57,and58" and all I see is contradictions. Specifically on these following two thoughts on what is considered a valid social security number.

1, On one hand, the manual says on page 57 a valid SS # includes someone who died in 2020 if you are preparing a return for that person "joint return in my case".

2, The next page describes a valid social security number is one that is valid for employment in the United States and is issued before the due date of your 2020 return(including extensions).

For me, this involves both the first and second economic impact payments. The first EIP payments were received and cashed by both my late wife and myself for a total of $2400. the second EIP payments did not come and I intend to get them through the recovery rebate credit on line 30. However, I am not sure if I can claim for both $1200 in a joint return or only for myself for $600. Plus I am not sure if I have to return $1200 for the first EIP that was received by my wife.

Actually after thinking about it both #1 and 2 of the above quotes seems like people who died in 2020 and were US citizens with a SS card are considered valid for the EIP.

Anyone have some experience in this area? I would appreciate a few thoughts thank you.
    Last edited by BoSox; 02-06-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Your post includes some personal information in it. Can basic strategy help this?

Are you filling it out on paper?

If you don't have capital gains/losses from stock sale, you can use the free version of turbotax. They have a very good help section and forum:
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...ee-edition.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post

If you don't have capital gains/losses from stock sale, you can use the free version of turbotax. They have a very good help section and forum:

Thank you. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I have read the 1040 instruction manual pertaining to line 30 "page57,and58" and all I see is contradictions. Specifically on these following two thoughts on what is considered a valid social security number.

1, On one hand, the manual says on page 57 a valid SS # includes someone who died in 2020 if you are preparing a return for that person "joint return in my case".

2, The next page describes a valid social security number is one that is valid for employment in the United States and is issued before the due date of your 2020 return(including extensions).

For me, this involves both the first and second economic impact payments. The first EIP payments were received and cashed by both my late wife and myself for a total of $2400. the second EIP payments did not come and I intend to get them through the recovery rebate credit on line 30. However, I am not sure if I can claim for both $1200 in a joint return or only for myself for $600. Plus I am not sure if I have to return $1200 for the first EIP that was received by my wife.

Actually after thinking about it both #1 and 2 of the above quotes seems like people who died in 2020 and were US citizens with a SS card are considered valid for the EIP.

Anyone have some experience in this area? I would appreciate a few thoughts thank you.
    BoSox, here is some recent info on this. I don't know if it is a good source or not.
    https://www.cleveland.com/personalfi...s-rich-qa.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post

Thanks 21forme, but it was not for me and my situation. Yes I always do my taxes on paper "old school" but this year will be the first time that I will not mail the tax itself. Last year the IRS office cashed my check payment that was sent in the first week in February but they lost my accompanying tax forms itself. Nine months later they inform me with a letter, saying that I have a balance but no tax sent pure bullshit. That same day that I received the letter, I re-sent a new copy by mail hoping that they do not mess it up this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    BoSox, here is some recent info on this. I don't know if it is a good source or not.
    https://www.cleveland.com/personalfi...s-rich-qa.html
    Thank you Midwest Player, that was very informative but I am also unsure about the source.
    Last edited by BoSox; 02-06-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    the important thing is this: if you were to proceed as it not being in your favor - if you learned later that it was in your favor - it would probably be very difficult to go back and collect it
    You can always go back and file an amended return. That said, I agree with drunk. If it's somewhat ambiguous, take the credit. Don't back yourself off.

Thank you drunk that is surprising to me as I was always of the impression that if you are wrong with the IRS they rip your heart out looking for a pound of flesh. I will keep your opinion in mind but I just want to do it the right way.

Bosox - I've gotten a few letters over the years from the IRS questioning deductions, asking for additional documentation for things such as 529 expenses, etc. In every case, they asked for money back unless satisfactory documentation is provided and approved by them. I prevailed each time didn't owe them a penny back.

In your case, unless their computer picks up an irregularity on a routine forms comparison, you should be fine, as you're not a high audit risk.

Thanks guys. For the very first time ever I am going to let a professional do the tax work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

Bosox: this USA Today story addresses your issue and may be helpful:

Stimulus checks: Can I get a payment for a spouse, relative who died? (usatoday.com)

Interesting article, thank you drunk.