Thread: Differentiating Running Count Indexes from Indexes < 0

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Differentiating Running Count Indexes from Indexes < 0

I finally discovered the option to Use Running Count with Zero Index in strategy creation. However, I can't always differentiate between an index at 0 and an index at -1.

For example, here I'd want 16v10 and 12v4 to be RC indexes, but 13v2 to only trigger at a true -1.

BJ example.png

BJ example 2.png

In the surrender menu it appears to be possible, am I missing something?

(And, before anyone gets their panties in a knot, these surrender indexes are for ES10)

PitBoss321,

I don't know the answer to your question.

I have a question for you, though: why would the ES index for 14 vs. X be a reverse index? Just off the top of my head, I would think that you should surrender this more frequently as the count increases.

Also note that 7-7 vs. X is set to ES always: since presumably you aren't planning to split, why shouldn't both of these plays have the same index? Is this a SD game?

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    I have a question for you, though: why would the ES index for 14 vs. X be a reverse index? Just off the top of my head, I would think that you should surrender this more frequently as the count increases.

Also note that 7-7 vs. X is set to ES always: since presumably you aren't planning to split, why shouldn't both of these plays have the same index? Is this a SD game?
    I just double checked those, I made a dumb typo, 14vX and 15vA are supposed to be 0+, not -1 -. As for 77vX, I just reran CVIndex to make sure and it does have a different value for some reason. Its index is -1+, which for me means always.
    Last edited by PitBoss321; 01-15-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Banned or Suspended

There are several online blackjack hand calculators, so you can just use them to generate the play deviation index easily for any situations. What is this software you are using? Is it CVCX?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    There are several online blackjack hand calculators, so you can just use them to generate the play deviation index easily for any situations. What is this software you are using? Is it CVCX?
    Ahh, no you can't.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PitBoss321 View Post
    For example, here I'd want 16v10 and 12v4 to be RC indexes, but 13v2 to only trigger at a true -1.
    Hmm, why would you want to do that?
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I'm curious what hand calculators you've found online, I don't know of any that produce index plays.

I'm using CVIndex software

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Hmm, why would you want to do that?
    To the best of my understanding, those are the correct plays. I'm basing the RC plays on Colin's charts (https://www.blackjackapprenticeship....07/BJA_H17.pdf) as I haven't found any other sources that confirm or deny the info.

And just to clarify, my understanding is that 13v2 is a stand at any 0 TC, whereas 16vT is a stand only at positive RC.

Banned or Suspended

I use blackjack hand calculator wizzard of odds. If you need any deviation index, just let me know, and I will get it back to you in five minutes.

Blog Entries

I use blackjack hand calculator wizzard of odds. If you need any deviation index, just let me know, and I will get it back to you in five minutes.
    No, there is no such thing. You may be confused as what a deviation index is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PitBoss321 View Post
    To the best of my understanding, those are the correct plays. I'm basing the RC plays on Colin's charts (https://www.blackjackapprenticeship....07/BJA_H17.pdf) as I haven't found any other sources that confirm or deny the info.

And just to clarify, my understanding is that 13v2 is a stand at any 0 TC, whereas 16vT is a stand only at positive RC.
    Depends on exactly how you are calculating the TC. I think those charts are overly complex in a couple of decisions. I can't imagine that the particular play you are talking about has more than a few collars difference in a year, and will cause mistakes that cost more.