Thread: Snippets from the Tribune leaves me pessimistic about Las Vegas

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Snippets from the Tribune leaves me pessimistic about Las Vegas

• December 23, 2020 07:46 NYE Party on Fremont Street Approved: Scott Roeben of VitalVegas.com reports this morning that tickets are on sale for a shindig downtown on New Year's Eve. He writes that admission is $25, but is being called a "security fee." He also states, "It was widely reported that Fremont Street Experience wouldn’t have its New Year’s Eve event, but that was related to the denial of a specific permit request. Apparently, a new permit was requested and granted." There won't be any live entertainment, just the light and sound show from Viva Vision. COVID precautions will be in place (delineated in the FAQ on the FSE website), including mandatory masks. To us, it appears that this is FSE's method for trying to control the madness. People will gather, both on Fremont Street and the Strip (half of which is closed to traffic), but the $25 fee and COVID screening could discourage the more reckless of the bunch.

I wonder if the $25 worked!

• December 30, 2020 07:20 Visitor Volume Lowest Since the '80s: With the end of the year drawing near, total visitor volume for 2020 could be the lowest Las Vegas has experienced since 1988. The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority reported yesterday that November's number of visitors, 1.514 million, brings the 2020 total to 17.8 million, a little more than half of the same 11 months in 2019. If volume continues apace through tomorrow and Las Vegas records a little more than 19 million for the year, it will be the lowest number of visitors since the year before the Mirage opened.

• December 29, 2020 10:17 McCarran Still Down by Half:
    More than 1.8 million travelers transited McCarran International last month, down 9% from October's 1.98 million and nearly 60% lower than the number in November 2019. All but 1% (19,000) were domestic travelers; only four international flights (three to and from Mexico and one to and from Canada) are flying through McCarran currently. For the first 11 months of the year, 21 million people have passed through McCarran, down 55% for the same period last year.

• December 27, 2020 07:16 And Then There Was One (Buffet):

One of two buffets operating currently in Las Vegas will close on Sunday January 10. The Wicked Spoon Buffet at the Cosmopolitan will shut down "temporarily" until "business levels improve," at which point the decision will be reevaluated. Apparently, conducting business under the 25%-capacity and reservations-only restrictions isn't sustainable, even for a popular buffet nearly alone in the field. That leaves South Point as Las Vegas' only AYCE option.

Pessimistic for what timeframe?

Quote Originally Posted by UNCBear4SJ View Post
    Pessimistic for what timeframe?
    Well, I don’t know when, if ever, it will return to normal, when people are ever going to fly in numbers to Las Vegas, when I will feel totally safe to travel and play there.

As a recreational player not able to play locally, Las Vegas was the most attractive option.

So you prefer full tables as opposed to the 3 or 4 player tables now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I don’t know when, if ever, it will return to normal,
    I consider normal being BJ paying 3:2 on every table, free parking, no resort fees, etc. those days are gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I consider normal being BJ paying 3:2 on every table, free parking, no resort fees, etc. those days are gone forever.
    I'd add stand on soft 17 to that list.