See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccine and plans to fly to play..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Why would airlines care if we have been vaccinated if vaccines dont prevent transmission?

I wear masks, but they may not work. Some believe its like trying to keep a fly from coming into a yard surrounded by chained linked fence.

Finally, even if the virus was not started with malicious intent, the current vaccine 'movement' 'feels' (I know, weak, right?) nefarious. Conspiracy? Perhaps. But it feels like the media is using fear to persuade people to act. "New Strain Discovered in Amazon Basin Has Scientists Concerned - News at 11" (sarcasm). Possible unconscious 'conspiracy': media makes money from dramatic, fear-inducing stories. Wouldnt it be nice to read a 'boring' headline entitled: "Vaccines Working Better Than Expected" or ""Lots of Cities Have Access to Vaccines!"

Also, I cant reject the possibility of, for example, 112 variants requiring 18 different vaccines by 2023. Any end in sight? Similarly, for example, do you guys know how many vaccines are recommended for today's youth? A LOT! At the same time, I read something about how the likelihood of dying, from, say, tetanus, is about 100,000,000 to one (please dont quote me on the exact claim - look it up.).

These Coronavirus vaccinations are understandably but still hastitly (comparatively) being produced. You guys are all about the long-term, but we have no idea of possible serious side effects from vaccination. And this virus is extremely survivable. Its a lot to ask a 30 year-old healthy male, for instance, to get vaccinated.
    The coronavirus exist because of the kind of people like you. I wouldn't be surprise you have the COVID yourself.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    All this is making me nervous. I got my first vaccination today. Moderna. Next is due around March 1sr.

I simply typed in "prevalence tetanus" into Google. This is what I saw (and what you will likely see too) IMMEDIATELY:

"Extremely rare
    Fewer than 1,000 US cases per year
    AGES AFFECTED
    Babies (0-2 years): extremely rare
    Toddlers (3-5 years): extremely rare
    Children (6-13 years): extremely rare
    Teenagers (14-18 years): extremely rare
    Young adults (19-40 years): extremely rare
    Adults (41-60 years): extremely rare
    Seniors (60+ years): extremely rare
    More about this condition
    Consult a doctor for medical advice
    Sources include: Mayo Clinic, and others. Learn more
    Feedback
    People also ask
    How common is tetanus in unvaccinated?
    Today, tetanus is uncommon in the United States, with an average of about 30 reported cases each year. Nearly all cases of tetanus are among people who did not get all the recommended tetanus vaccinations."

Norm, you say about 1/3 who get tetanus die from it. So, annually, 10 Americans per year die from it. And I wouldnt call the Mayo Clinic a "goofy site."

What am I missing?

To me, it sounds like a conspiracy when people are FOR, not against, certain vaccines.

And are people getting vaccines like tetanus out of love for their fellow man/women (herd immunity) or because they are scared of getting something 10 people will die from? In contrast, I believe the probability of dying in a vehicle crash is about 1/84. Do you 'vaccinate' yourself against this somewhat sobering statistic by not driving, or do we instead take reasonable safety precautions that benefit others and you that still enable you to LIVE, not just survive.

Seriousplayer: please address your concerns with my post. Making sweeping derogatory comments is hurtful and also weakens your credibility. Do you disagree with ALL of my points? 3 of them? Any common ground?

And, by the way, Seriousplayer, IF I have the virus, I will likely be Ok!!!!!!!! And I take more than reasonable precautions to not transmit it to someone IF I am asymptomatic. (By the way, do we really know the likelihood of transmission by asymptomatic people, or do some folks read that it is "possible" and from there go on to assume its perhaps common?). People have commented that I wear a mask TOO much, but I dont think I have.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." That may sound glib, but living in fear is not the answer. Research, for instance, the increase in number of youth mental health issues and suicides caused by kids not being in school.

This is definitely a thorny, divisive issue.

Blog Entries

Nearly all cases of tetanus are among people who did not get all the recommended tetanus vaccinations.
    That's what you are missing. No, Mayo is not a goofy site. Your conclusions and syntheses are goofy. At this time, nearly 100,000 Americans a month are dying of Covid. In my city (NY), nine times as many people have died of Covid than died on 9/11. Please stop this.
    Last edited by Norm; 02-02-2021 at 04:01 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    All this is making me nervous.
    Has your hair fallen out yet?

Oh, wait...

I simply typed in "prevalence tetanus" into Google. This is what I saw (and what you will likely see too) IMMEDIATELY:

"Extremely rare
    Fewer than 1,000 US cases per year
    AGES AFFECTED
    Babies (0-2 years): extremely rare
    Toddlers (3-5 years): extremely rare
    Children (6-13 years): extremely rare
    Teenagers (14-18 years): extremely rare
    Young adults (19-40 years): extremely rare
    Adults (41-60 years): extremely rare
    Seniors (60+ years): extremely rare
    More about this condition
    Consult a doctor for medical advice
    Sources include: Mayo Clinic, and others. Learn more
    Feedback
    People also ask
    How common is tetanus in unvaccinated?
    Today, tetanus is uncommon in the United States, with an average of about 30 reported cases each year. Nearly all cases of tetanus are among people who did not get all the recommended tetanus vaccinations."

Norm, you say about 1/3 who get tetanus die from it. So, annually, 10 Americans per year die from it. And I wouldnt call the Mayo Clinic a "goofy site."

What am I missing?

To me, it sounds like a conspiracy when people are FOR, not against, certain vaccines.

And are people getting vaccines like tetanus out of love for their fellow man/women (herd immunity) or because they are scared of getting something 10 people will die from? In contrast, I believe the probability of dying in a vehicle crash is about 1/84. Do you 'vaccinate' yourself against this somewhat sobering statistic by not driving, or do we instead take reasonable safety precautions that benefit others and you that still enable you to LIVE, not just survive.

Seriousplayer: please address your concerns with my post. Making sweeping derogatory comments is hurtful and also weakens your credibility. Do you disagree with ALL of my points? 3 of them? Any common ground?

And, by the way, Seriousplayer, IF I have the virus, I will likely be Ok!!!!!!!! And I take more than reasonable precautions to not transmit it to someone IF I am asymptomatic. (By the way, do we really know the likelihood of transmission by asymptomatic people, or do some folks read that it is "possible" and from there go on to assume its perhaps common?). People have commented that I wear a mask TOO much, but I dont think I have.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." That may sound glib, but living in fear is not the answer. Research, for instance, the increase in number of youth mental health issues and suicides caused by kids not being in school.

This is definitely a thorny, divisive issue.
    I take precautions against the COVID. I wear face shields in additional to surgical face mask, maintain social distancing (6 feet apart), use hand sanitizer when entering the building, open the door with a tissue when going to the bathroom, and I don't touch something when someone already touched it.

When someone touch my food or drink, like a sandwich and drink, I told them its yours, you touched it. Then they look at me like I was crazy! I told them I am not tocuhing what you've already touched. It's a pandemic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    All this is making me nervous. I got my first vaccination today. Moderna. Next is due around March 1sr.
    March 2. Didn't they give you an appointment for 28 days later? They're supposed to.

Don

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Why would airlines care if we have been vaccinated if vaccines dont prevent transmission?

I wear masks, but they may not work. Some believe its like trying to keep a fly from coming into a yard surrounded by chained linked fence.
    Overkill, vaccinations do prevent transmission. They do that by decreasing the number of people who are infected with Coronavirus.
    Masks decrease transmission of the virus by decreasing the the number of droplets that are expelled (some of which contain the virus), thus decreasing the risk of someone inhaling it.
    The number of variants will be decreased by decreasing the number of viruses. That is done by having more people vaccinated and using masks, distancing, and common sense.

Blog Entries

As I understand it, Covid cannot replicate itself. It must invade a host and trick the host into replicating the virus. Variations are replication errors. Some are less virulent and die off. Some are more virulent. Basic evolution. A 30-year-old may currently be less likely to be symptomatic. But, they can still cause replication and variations. One of those variations will likely be more dangerous for 30-year-olds.

Humans must battle the virus. We should not split forces.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    As I understand it
    IMO, you both understand it and state it well.

Some of the healthcare staff getting the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine are getting chills, slight fever, etc., a reaction from the body kicking it into gear to produce antibodies and to be expected, to which they are saying to take 800 mg. of Ibuprofen that night of getting the 2nd dose, 800 mg. Ibuprofen again the next morning. This is apparently quite temporary, the first few days after getting the 2nd dose. I'm coming up on getting my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine in another week or so, and will have some Ibuprofen standing by.

I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine 72 hours ago. So far, the place where it was given, my arm, still hurts but otherwise no side effects. However, reports say that side effects are more severe after the second shot but last only a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    J&J is going to run trials on two shots.
    J&J one dose vaccine requests emergency authorization from FDA:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/covi...orization.html

This could happen as early as this month.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast