See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Player Bankroll Management

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

New Player Bankroll Management

Hello, I am in the process of training to be a counter. I have been practicing for the past four weeks and am looking to start playing in the coming weeks.

I will be starting out with a $2000 bankroll (I know it's not a lot, I'm a college student) and am asking for advice on betting unit size and bet spread to maximize EV and minimize risk as much as possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RattaTat View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of training to be a counter. I have been practicing for the past four weeks and am looking to start playing in the coming weeks.

I will be starting out with a $2000 bankroll (I know it's not a lot, I'm a college student) and am asking for advice on betting unit size and bet spread to maximize EV and minimize risk as much as possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Can you afford the 2k? The reason I ask is that your probability of success using traditional methods is low. You will be confined to inferior games with crowded conditions and not enough max bets to weather a storm. So, if you’re serious (and without any knowledge of your skill level), your best approach would be a Hail Mary approach - get to a better game, over bet your bankroll and hope for the best. This essentially means that you need immediate success, and that you will likely go broke if you don’t. This beats the potentially long drawn out affair leading to bankroll loss that traditional methods would inevitably lead to.

Now, if you have can replenish funds, if necessary, on a monthly basis (which is probably not likely as you’re a student), you can, utilizing a disciplined approach, wager as if you have a larger bankroll. If so, state the monthly amount you can direct and I will tell you how you can achieve this.

Snarky, if you recall, this is where you stuck your foot up your ass a while back, so do yourself a fair and stay out.
    Last edited by Freightman; 12-24-2020 at 04:58 PM.

I agree with Freightman.

The other option, if you're not willing to take a significant risk with the money, is wait until you reach a 10K bankroll, then reevaluate your options.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Man, don’t buy the bullshit, spend it on your girlfriend or upgrade to a better car or something. It’s simply not as easy as you think and more suitable after college and with a steady job.

Man, don’t buy the bullshit
    What bullshit. A question was asked - it was answered. Further, clear caveats were implied.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Not enough money to be worried about risk at this point. Your worry should be to build the BR to around 20K which is the point for the modern 21 count game that it begins to be usable. In the meantime you have to look for other things with bigger edges or just be satisfied to take shots at high risk and hope you hit one of them. (or save up more money). Card counting is a grind game with a small edge that requires solid bankroll for income. To build a real BR you need a bigger edge, or must be willing to take bigger risks w/ a tiny BR and possibly bust out multiple times.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigplayer; 12-24-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Can you afford the 2k? The reason I ask is that your probability of success using traditional methods is low. You will be confined to inferior games with crowded conditions and not enough max bets to weather a storm. So, if you’re serious (and without any knowledge of your skill level), your best approach would be a Hail Mary approach - get to a better game, over bet your bankroll and hope for the best. This essentially means that you need immediate success, and that you will likely go broke if you don’t. This beats the potentially long drawn out affair leading to bankroll loss that traditional methods would inevitably lead to.

Now, if you have can replenish funds, if necessary, on a monthly basis (which is probably not likely as you’re a student), you can, utilizing a disciplined approach, wager as if you have a larger bankroll. If so, state the monthly amount you can direct and I will tell you how you can achieve this.

Snarky, if you recall, this is where you stuck your foot up your ass a while back, so do yourself a fair and stay out.
    I do not have replenishable funds. Also I can afford the 2k and am comfortable if I lose it (obviously I'd rather not but am able to take the risk)

Find something with a bigger edge or play a style that allows you to bet big on few hands with big edges and take a shot. This is what they call the "Hail Mary" approach. Be prepared to bust out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With only 2k, I'd look into certain low variance slot and video poker plays to build up. I won't point them out here, but if you poke around the internet and Twitter, you'll find valuable info for these games.

In your position, I would definitely give $1-$2 NLH a shot or possibly on line tournies. Wouldn't take on BJ unless no other option. One of my favorite YT posters is this bloke.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvm5AHtXawI&t=293s
    Vincit Qui Patitur

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Man, don’t buy the bullshit, spend it on your girlfriend or upgrade to a better car or something. It’s simply not as easy as you think and more suitable after college and with a steady job.
    There goes everyone's favorite bullshit troll. Keep it rocking, Arby!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaconne View Post
    There goes everyone's favorite bullshit troll. Keep it rocking, Arby!
    For those of us not as hip as you, care to define arby?

Quote Originally Posted by RattaTat View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of training to be a counter.
    I'm curious. Why do you want to be a counter? Do you enjoy gambling and want an edge? Do you hope to supplement your income? Other reasons?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast