Thread: Maths URGENT

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Seems like this post had some relevance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackjack/c...ands_in_a_row/

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SplitEm View Post
    Any thoughts?
    So many I don't know where to begin. But it's late and I don't have the patience to write at length. My opinion is that it would be altogether impossible for this to be an honest game. I'd make the probability zero.

Second comment: there is a gross misunderstanding of the math of streaks. With pushes not breaking a streak, the probability of winning a hand is about 47.4%. So, a streak of 7 is 0.474^7 = 0.0054 = 1 in 186. The horrible reasoning that follows is that, were you to play 186 hands, you ought to have a streak of seven wins about once. Makes it sound like you don't have a very good chance of this happening. In fact, the probability that you'd have at least one streak of at least seven wins or more is ... 40.7%!

I'll let you do the rest of the math. Conclusion: they have to cheat you.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    So many I don't know where to begin. But it's late and I don't have the patience to write at length. My opinion is that it would be altogether impossible for this to be an honest game. I'd make the probability zero.

Second comment: there is a gross misunderstanding of the math of streaks. With pushes not breaking a streak, the probability of winning a hand is about 47.4%. So, a streak of 7 is 0.474^7 = 0.0054 = 1 in 186. The horrible reasoning that follows is that, were you to play 186 hands, you ought to have a streak of seven wins about once. Makes it sound like you don't have a very good chance of this happening. In fact, the probability that you'd have at least one streak of at least seven wins or more is ... 40.7%!

I'll let you do the rest of the math. Conclusion: they have to cheat you.

Don
    Read the rules. Max payout of $250, and it's credits, not cash. You can't ever get the cash; i.e., you can't withdraw it. You have to play it. Bottom line: who cares?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Read the rules. Max payout of $250, and it's credits, not cash. You can't ever get the cash; i.e., you can't withdraw it. You have to play it. Bottom line: who cares?

Don
    Not saying I would do it, but I’m sure there are people out there who would take the positive EV. More of an interesting statistics problem for me than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitEm View Post
    Not saying I would do it, but I’m sure there are people out there who would take the positive EV. More of an interesting statistics problem for me than anything.
    All academic. Promo over.

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12