See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: What processor should my computer have to efficiently run CVCX?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What processor should my computer have to efficiently run CVCX?

I currently have a laptop with an i7 processor but it is so old that it is no longer portable. For all intents and purposes it is a pc. I am looking to buy a new laptop and I want to be able to run CVCX when I am away from home. Will a laptop with an i5 processor take significantly longer to process sims than my current laptop?

Blog Entries

Tell me the exact chip in each. (Right-click on the task bar and select Task Manager. Upper right of the Performance tab for the current machine.)

The answer is most likely yes, particularly if the new PC is a tiger lake. But, probably even if it's not.)
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by huevosrancheros View Post
    I currently have a laptop with an i7 processor but it is so old that it is no longer portable. For all intents and purposes it is a pc. I am looking to buy a new laptop and I want to be able to run CVCX when I am away from home. Will a laptop with an i5 processor take significantly longer to process sims than my current laptop?
    Core i7 is a now an old processor. The most recent being the Core i9. In reply to the type of processor to use for CVDATA or CVCX. It depends on how heavy the simulation you are doing. If you are running simulations in CVCX using multiple threads than an Intel Core i7 processor would get the work done. But if you are doing heavy index simulations in CVDATA than I would suggest you use a Intel Xeon processor.

Blog Entries

Index sims actually run better un a non-XEON chip. i9-10900K is the best. But, I run on an older I7-8700K (overclocked a bit) with no problem. Most I5's should be fine for CVCX.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I started a CVData sim on my Commodore 64 in 1985. It's about half-way done. Unfortunately those good rules no longer exist.

Blog Entries

That's how the Bradford City stadium fire started.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Index sims actually run better un a non-XEON chip. i9-10900K is the best. But, I run on an older I7-8700K (overclocked a bit) with no problem. Most I5's should be fine for CVCX.
    The only processor that I think could match up to the Core i9 10900K would probably be the Intel Xeon W-1290P with Processor Base Frequency of 3.7GHz and Max Turbo Frequency of 5.30GHz 10 Cores.

That's how the Bradford City stadium fire started.
    I had to look that one up. Same year...

Blog Entries

I haven't tested the Xeons, so I don't know how good the multi-threading or IPC are.

I haven't tested the Xeons, so I don't know how good the multi-threading or IPC are.
    The news was during 2019-2020 Intel has created a equality between the Intel Cores and Intel Xeon processors. Back in 2014, the fastest Xeon was about 4.19 GHz in Max Turbo Frequency. You can compare the lists of Intel Core and Intel Xeon on Intel's website and you will see the trend.

Blog Entries

GHz is useful. But, I've found that hyperthreading effectiveness varies substantially depending on the generation. IPC also. CVData/CVCX are heavily dependent on load/store and fixed point. An additional load/store execution unit is a big plus.