Thread: FCC moving to "clarify" section 230 which protects operators of forums such as this

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

FCC moving to "clarify" section 230 which protects operators of forums such as this

first, the link refers to political maneuverings
    but I posted it anyway because it could potentially affect a forum such as this
    the "clarification" is aimed at the tech giants - Facebook, Google and Twitter
    but it also, as far as I can determine, applies to forums such as this

section 230 indicates that a forum operator can't be sued because of posts made by users

the above sentence is probably an oversimplification - as this is a complicated issue

this is section 230 which is in bold and then after that an explanatory comment from the link:

"Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" (47 U.S.C. § 230). In other words, online intermediaries that host or republish speech are protected against a range of laws that might otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. The protected intermediaries include not only regular Internet Service Providers (ISPs), but also a range of "interactive computer service providers," including basically any online service that publishes third-party content. CDA 230 creates a broad protection that has allowed innovation and free speech online to flourish."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/fcc-chairman-says-he-will-to-clarify-tech-legal-shield-section-230.html

https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230
    take the risk of thinking for yourself. much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way..........................Christopher Hitchens

Blog Entries

It can't protect you against being sued. Lawyers often sue people for irrational reasons and judges never seem to punish them, as they are allowed under law. The suit may be invalid, but can still bankrupt you. As for EFF, I wouldn't believe a word they say on the subject. They have been one of the worst abusers of suing people into bankruptcy as EFF is an extremist anti-copyright group that sues those trying to protect their rights.
    "Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent." --André Gide

Blog Entries

I see your point. I guess a better way to put it is that Section 230 makes it very unlikely that a claimant could prevail against a forum host if his lawsuit is re forum content not posted by the host

but depending on if and when and how Section 230 is "clarified" that could possibly change
    take the risk of thinking for yourself. much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way..........................Christopher Hitchens

Blog Entries

Depends on the claimant.
    "Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent." --André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

I see your point. I guess a better way to put it is that Section 230 makes it very unlikely that a claimant could prevail against a forum host if his lawsuit is re forum content not posted by the host

but depending on if and when and how Section 230 is "clarified" that could possibly change
    There is a gentleman on trial in the U.K. because he published one story given to him by someone else. The published story was true but it did not matter. Wonder if there is a parallel when a forum member posts something without permission and the forum owner is subsequently arrested.

Blog Entries

The UK has very strong laws in this area. Far stronger than the US.