See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports picks

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Anyone got any action down for the divisional round games this weekend?
    I rarely ever make futures bets, but I eneded taking Philly to win the SB outright at 5-1.
    Kind of starting to have buyers remorse. The Giants should be an easy win for them, but defenitely gonna be a toss up if they have to face SF next week.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChoo View Post
    Anyone got any action down for the divisional round games this weekend?
    I rarely ever make futures bets, but I eneded taking Philly to win the SB outright at 5-1.
    Kind of starting to have buyers remorse. The Giants should be an easy win for them, but defenitely gonna be a toss up if they have to face SF next week.
    last year I bet Cinci before the wild-card weekend to win the whole enchilada at 17-1....only put 300 down...but won $ anyways since made the dance....(just wish I would've waited to live bet LA)

this year I have employed a different playoff strategy...parlaying one underdog with with multiple favs

my thought are that 'win or go home' presents itself with an entirely different mindset for the games....NFL playoffs are actually akin to Cortes burn you fucking ship down.....ALL IN

so last week I, of course, I felt I had tow 'freebees' with the Bills and Bengals.....WHEW......and thew in the 49ers.......with the underdog Jaguars......ok, so that was lucky

that bet paid +270

This week I am taking favs Philly and KC (...actually liked JAX $line as my 'dog', but just don't have the *****....lol)....and paired with the Boys at SF

This would pay +367

Good luck,

Sharky

....couldn't pull the trigger on JAX..McHomeboy has made Championship game every year he has started....had a bad, turnover, game in playoffs ending game last year....don't see that repeating...if they don't turnover the ball....easy win, if not blowout

...sorry for any confusion...haha...those are all money line bets...no spreads

just win, baby
    Last edited by Sharky; 01-20-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    ....couldn't pull the trigger on JAX..McHomeboy has made Championship game every year he has started....had a bad, turnover, game in playoffs ending game last year....don't see that repeating...if they don't turnover the ball....easy win, if not blowout

...sorry for any confusion...haha...those are all money line bets...no spreads

just win, baby
    Cincy my home team, so the fan in me will pull for them, but I honestly haven't been real imporessed by them in their recent big game wins. They always seem to be on the right side of a lucky fumble recovery or interception to grind out their win. If you look at their recent couple wins they had against KC they really just got lucky, at least that how I saw it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jags upset KC, but I couldn't pull that trigger either. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Does anyone has a computer model for Hongkong horse racing forecast?
    Or want to build one?

Quote Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
    Or want to build one?
    Seems to me you're a little late to that party!

Don

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Seems to me you're a little late to that party!

Don
    Yes, 30+ years late.
    But the party is still there.
    How do you say?

Or want to build one?
    I wanted to tackle handicapping this way some years ago so got this book https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sta.../dp/1432768522
    The problem I ran into wasn't building a data modeling algorithm, but efficiently backtesting it. I like the game, but just a long-time loser in it, so lost my desire to play it seriously.
    The computer teams getting rebates really make me feel like a sucker. They really dilute the pools in the horizontal wagers.
    They have access to APIs that can look deep into the horizontal wagering pools and get access to data that normal people can't.

It is only a matter of time before these asshole greedy racetrack managers that cut these deals for more handle have lost every normal player and are left with
    nothing but computer teams duking it out for .004% ROI + their rebates.

Blog Entries

I wanted to tackle handicapping this way some years ago so got this book https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sta.../dp/1432768522
    That book is translated from a Chinese version, writer is from Hongkong. It tells some of the math, but not teach you how to build a model.
    Bill Benter, Zeljko Ranogajec, and many other models, started from a little yellow book that Bill does not want to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVrZrJ-wtc

That book is translated from a Chinese version, writer is from Hongkong. It tells some of the math, but not teach you how to build a model.
    Bill Benter, Zeljko Ranogajec, and many other models, started from a little yellow book that Bill does not want to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVrZrJ-wtc
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your goal, but here is my 2 cents

Building a handicapping model should just be a matter of finding a handful or thousands of quantifiable variables and manipulating them by whatever statistical methods you choose to estimate a horse's true probability. If you know a programming language you can build a program that has a basic UI that can receive what you input and write some functions that crunch the data as you choose.

Caveats- I went down this path several years ago and hit a brick wall.
    1. Building a program like this is utterly useless if you can't properly backtest and prove your methods are +EV long-term. If you can back test it is a rinse-and-repeat process.
    Set variables and methods up and backtest. If your backtesting shows long-term losses you will tweak your methods and try again.

2. It isn't 1985 so manually entering data into a custom UI is not ideal. There are APIs you can access to automatically pull in your data but they cost a ton (at least the ones I came across years back).

3. At the end up the day the quality of your model will be tied to the math abilty of the developer.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

I had a very nice run betting racing for a few months in '22
    then I got crushed
    I've just about given it up

I hear ya loud and clear, These days I just play a few times a year. TC series and breeders cup day.
    Like I said yesterday I like the sport, but it has proven to be kryptonite to my bankroll over the years.
    I just can't grind my BR up as I can in blackjack or poker and the occasional options trade.

Blog Entries

Maybe I am misunderstanding your goal, but here is my 2 cents

Building a handicapping model should just be a matter of finding a handful or thousands of quantifiable variables and manipulating them by whatever statistical methods you choose to estimate a horse's true probability. If you know a programming language you can build a program that has a basic UI that can receive what you input and write some functions that crunch the data as you choose.

Caveats- I went down this path several years ago and hit a brick wall.
    1. Building a program like this is utterly useless if you can't properly backtest and prove your methods are +EV long-term. If you can back test it is a rinse-and-repeat process.
    Set variables and methods up and backtest. If your backtesting shows long-term losses you will tweak your methods and try again.

2. It isn't 1985 so manually entering data into a custom UI is not ideal. There are APIs you can access to automatically pull in your data but they cost a ton (at least the ones I came across years back).

3. At the end up the day the quality of your model will be tied to the math abilty of the developer.
    I have my own model, it took me 18 monthes full time job to build it, in early 90's.
    There are twenty variables in my model, while Bill Benter created over two hundred and uses about 130 variables in his model.
    I once helped MIT John Chang's team to build one, but the project was terminated after two months, before anything came out.
    To build a model, that needs a programmer, a math expert, a route how to build it. And where to place your bets if the model is profitable.
    +++
    My goal, so many experts around here, then why not build one?

Blog Entries

1. Building a program like this is utterly useless if you can't properly backtest and prove your methods are +EV long-term.
    Yes, I do backtest. In two ways:
    1. Say I have 10 years of horse racing data. Use year 1 to year 8 for the model building, simulating bet on year 9 and 10.
    2. Take 80% of the races randomly from the 10 years data to build the model, backtest the 20% remaining races.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast