Thread: Down Under Blackjack sim

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Down Under Blackjack sim

I am trying to sim the Down Under variant using partial HC info.

I have created the 3 basic strategies based on these .. https://wizardofodds.com/games/down-under-blackjack/

The negative catch to this game is "If the dealer reaches a score of 22, all wagers left standing will push except a player blackjack, any total of 21, or two ten-point cards shall win."

I thought I could add the dealer 22 rules as bonuses which pay a negative variable of 1. For example a dealer 22 would pay all totals less than 20, -1 unit. I assume these hands would still pay 1 unit based on the standard rules and this would balance the push.

Then I learned a multi-tracking sim cannot use the hole carding nuances. I figured I would ignore the dealer 22 rule for now and just try a standard sim with the 3 nuanced strategies, expecting a positive EV similar to hole carding.

I got a -12% IBA on the sim below. Definitely something wrong on my end. I have found changing the main playing strategy does affect the IBA%. This should not be the case since I am indicating 100% HC seen, so only the 3 strategies defined there should be used. I did turn insurance off in the general rule settings.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Super Natural; 08-22-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Go to Tools-Export, create an export zip file, and email it.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Ahh. This is interesting. Below is your current setup.

When partial HCing, you have up to four playing strategies. This is the normal setup:

The strategy on the Playing tab. This strategy is used when you do not see the HC. It is a standard 10 column strategy (ten upcards) and is normally basic strategy.
    The top strategy on the hole-carding tab must be a 23 column strategy (23 dealer two card possibilities) If you know it is a ten or ace, you know which it is as they look very different.
    The next two strategies are ten column partial hole-carding strategies.

So, what you are doing doesn't work as you have a ten column strategy for ace/ten and you don't know which it is. What you can do is turn off the ATJQK boxes and set the Down Under - High strategy as your base strategy on the playing tab. When it gets a ten or ace, it will not find any of the three strategies selected for AT on the hole card tab and fall through to the base strategy, which will be the High, ten column strategy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thanks Norm I appreciate it, makes sense. I was able to sim a 5.3% advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Natural View Post
    The negative catch to this game is "If the dealer reaches a score of 22, all wagers left standing will push except a player blackjack, any total of 21, or two ten-point cards shall win."
    Like I mentioned above I tried to achieve this games unique push 22 rule in a multi-tracking sim with the following bonuses ..

1. Dealer 22 w/ any player hand < 20, pays -1 unit.
    2. Dealer 22 w/ player 20 and > 2 cards, pays -1 unit.
    3. Dealer 22 w/ player 20 consisting of Ace 9, pays -1 unit.

Any chance of adding a push 22 to the rules tab, so I could sim this using the standard sim? Some mild interest...
    https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post221043
    https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sh...l=1#post168567

Also, is there any way to view the Dealt Hand Tables > Advantage (IBA) based on the dealers down card rather than up card?
    Last edited by Super Natural; 08-24-2020 at 01:17 PM.