Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hard to believe but true - the history of Coca Cola

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

hard to believe but true - the history of Coca Cola

I'm sure many on this site already know this - but I would guess there are quite a few that might not
    and I have no doubt that among the general public many would not believe it if you told it to them without any documentation

"When launched, Coca-Cola's two key ingredients were cocaine and caffeine. The cocaine was derived from the coca leaf and the caffeine from kola nut (also spelled "cola nut" at the time), leading to the name Coca-Cola.

Coca leaf

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup (approximately 37 g/L), a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. (For comparison, a typical dose or "line" of cocaine is 50–75 mg. In 1903, it was removed.
    After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine. Since then, Coca-Cola has used a cocaine-free coca leaf extract. Today, that extract is prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey, the only manufacturing plant authorized by the federal government to import and process coca leaves, which it obtains from Peru and Bolivia.
    Long after the syrup had ceased to contain any significant amount of cocaine, in the southeastern U.S., "dope" remained a common colloquialism for Coca-Cola, and "dope-wagons" were trucks that transported it."

FlUcXvs.jpg

Pembertoncokeanzeige.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola#Coca_leaf

Patriot: the person who can holler loudest without knowing what he is hollering about............Mark Twain

I've had coca tea in Peru. it's supposed to be good for acclimating to altitude. has no hallucinogenic effects. We warned warned not to bring any home, as it's illegal in the US.

Blog Entries

IIRC, the government originally tried to get them to remove the caffeine, not the coke. The gov't argument failed because this would also make coffee and tea illegal. Some time later, cocaine was made illegal. Had a friend who worked for a pharmaceutical company making batches of caffeine. He'd finish a batch and act like he was on speed for hours. There is little difference in coke and caffeine effects, other than caffeine last quite a bit longer.
    "Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent." --André Gide

I think some additional context would be helpful. There were many products from that era that contained ingredients that today would fall under the criminal schedules or at least be restricted in some other way and not available over-the-counter. I think I recall there being a cough medicine marketed to parents for use with children that contained an opium extract. And 7-Up, to stick with products that continue with us today with different formulations, originally contained lithium.

Blog Entries

Walked into a chemist in London once, long ago, and asked for aspirin. Man said: "What's aspirin?" I said something for a headache. He sold me something with codeine.
    "Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent." --André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    He sold me something with codeine.
    Seriously, that shit will plug you up for days. The cure is worse than the disease. I refuse a cheap prescription of Tylenol with codeine in favour Of a very expensive prescription called tramacet. This is ongoing for disc pain.

Blog Entries

ocycodone - it's on the hit list now - so many got addicted to it - now responsible Docs don't want to scrip it
    years ago, I was given it for back pain - it was the best drug I ever took in my life - completely eased the pain and made me feel great
    I was never anywhere remotely close to being addicted to it
    now if you ask for something for pain the Docs want to give you some BS like Tylenol with codeine............sucks
    Patriot: the person who can holler loudest without knowing what he is hollering about............Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

ocycodone - it's on the hit list now - so many got addicted to it - now responsible Docs don't want to scrip it
    years ago, I was given it for back pain - it was the best drug I ever took in my life - completely eased the pain and made me feel great
    I was never anywhere remotely close to being addicted to it
    now if you ask for something for pain the Docs want to give you some BS like Tylenol with codeine............sucks
    Advanced degenerative Disk DIsease and arthritis in back. Used to get Cortisone shots (varying degrees of effectiveness), along with tramacet (tramadol and acetaminophen), Diclofenac gel (supercharged Voltaren, prescription grade). Last cortisone shot 14 months ago - zero effect with bad reaction that took me to emergency. Replaced Cortisone with CBD oil. Much more consistent relief. Gabapentin for sciatic issues.

Blog Entries

Walked into an HMO 20 years back in excruciating pain. NPR examined me and said it looks like pancreatitis. I said it's not pancreatitis. She sent for a doctor. Two doctors examined me and she said she thought it was pancreatitis. They said it could be. I said I don't have pancreatitis. They took blood for a pancreatitis test and said to call back. I said I need a pain killer. NPR says no because that would mask the pain. I said heroin couldn't block the pain. She gave me a scrip for Tylenol 3, half a grain of codeine and completely useless. Next day pain changed and I had a low grade fever. I called their emergency number and said I think I have appendicitis. She said the symptoms fit, but there was nothing they could do for me -- if it bursts, go to the emergency room. I'm no longer with that HMO. Oh yeah, test for pancreatitis was neg.

Now, propofol is great. Of course you're out.

Blog Entries

Freightman, shoulda mentioned, with sciatica issues, or other neuropathy, hope you're taking B12. I hate the supplement industry. Huge frauds. But, two neurologists told me the standard range for B12 is wrong.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-20-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast