See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Billions seized at airports from travelers..

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Billions seized at airports from travelers..

The key line from the article:
    "The most common reason for airport currency seizures is a failure to report traveling internationally with $10,000 or more in cash or other currency, as required by federal law,"

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    The key line from the article:
    "The most common reason for airport currency seizures is a failure to report traveling internationally with $10,000 or more in cash or other currency, as required by federal law,"
    Not sure about the US, but in Canada, CBP (Canada Border Protection) practices various levels of enforcement which essentially are determined by how the transgression is viewed. These range from warning, $250 fine upwards to total seizure.

And then there was the CBP guy who took apart my bicycle to check inside the tubes when I biked across the St Lawrence from NY into ON. Can't say he wasn't polite

And then there was the CBP guy who took apart my bicycle to check inside the tubes when I biked across the St Lawrence from NY into ON. Can't say he wasn't polite
    Did he put it back together? I’d bitch like hell if he didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Did he put it back together? I’d bitch like hell if he didn’t.
    I volunteered so it would be done correctly.

I volunteered so it would be done correctly.
    Given my mechanical skills, I would have had three do it.

Not three, them.
    Last edited by Freightman; 08-05-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: To correct word by adding last line.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I wish that they change the law because it is old and outdated. 10k is not what it used to be. They should increase the amount of currency that needs to be reported to a more practical value.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I wish that they change the law because it is old and outdated. 10k is not what it used to be. They should increase the amount of currency that needs to be reported to a more practical value.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Point made. About 1985 or so, a bridge team that I was on drive down to Yankee land for a tournament. At the time, it would be fair to say that I had just a bit more than nothing. The US customs agent, a lady, seriously asked if any of us were carrying 10k or more on us.

I started laughing and said “lady, I wish”. I have no idea how long prior to that date, that the 10k limit had been in effect. I would have responded earlier, but I had a project to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I had a project to take care of.
    Starbucks twice in one day?

Starbucks twice in one day?
    No. I’m at home. The project was the 2.0 neg per day average. Guinness was excited and my stellar achievement will be in the next edition.

And besides, don’t need a project to go to Starbucks