See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Quantum" Blackjack

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

"Quantum" Blackjack

Hopefully, this will spark some interesting and entertaining, non-COVID-19, conversation...have at it...

https://scitechdaily.com/quantum-bla...blackjack/amp/

Saw this article yesterday. The first two paragraphs tell it all. Terrible article.

Hard to fathom how they could be serious about such a ridiculous "paper," when someone could have whispered in their ears that all the cards are dealt face-up!! And, of course, even in some dinosaur SD face-down games, the concept of showing one another cards isn't exactly ground-breaking. Unbelievably naive article.

Don

Blog Entries

Good grief. The article has nothing to do with quantum entanglement.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Hard to fathom how they could be serious about such a ridiculous "paper," when someone could have whispered in their ears that all the cards are dealt face-up!! And, of course, even in some dinosaur SD face-down games, the concept of showing one another cards isn't exactly ground-breaking. Unbelievably naive article.

Don
    Nope. I agree. And when we played in hand held games, it was easy to usually get other players to show their cards when dealer had an Ace for insurance purposes to allow more info for decision. "Quasi-team" cooperation, so to speak.......LOL
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

I just read this from end of the article:

"This research was funded, in part, by the National Science Foundation, the Army Research Office, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the MIT Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)."

Another FANTASTIC use of our tax dollars, don't ya' think?????
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

I would write to them, but the article isn't readily available. You have to be a subscriber.

Don

Don et al.,

The paper can be downloaded directly from the MIT website of one of the authors, Aram Harrow. Go to this URL:

https://arxiv.org/a/harrow_a_1.html

and download paper #15.

The authors find that the players can achieve a measurable advantage in a single-deck game when the shoe contains fewer than 10 cards... Whoopie!

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Blog Entries

And I can find a measurable advantage if the dealer holds the deck face up.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    Don et al.,

The paper can be downloaded directly from the MIT website of one of the authors, Aram Harrow. Go to this URL:

https://arxiv.org/a/harrow_a_1.html

and download paper #15.

The authors find that the players can achieve a measurable advantage in a single-deck game when the shoe contains fewer than 10 cards... Whoopie!

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    What I find amazing is that, in general, you would imagine that these authors aren't idiots. And yet, they seemingly conducting their research in a void, without even bothering to consult any of the existing literature and studies, and with an incredibly naive outlook (SD dealt to the 10-card level!).

What a monumental waste of time.

Don

What I find amazing is that, in general, you would imagine that these authors aren't idiots. And yet, they seemingly conducting their research in a void, without even bothering to consult any of the existing literature and studies, and with an incredibly naive outlook (SD dealt to the 10-card level!).

Publish or perish?

Like in that Ken Uston video.....Breaking Vegas

“Tell me somthing I don’t already know.”’

Don
    Don,

"... without even bothering to consult any of the existing literature and studies... "

To be fair, they DID list a reference to the 1956 paper on basic strategy by the "Four Horsemen" ;-)

Dog Hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast