Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is stupid play costly to other players GIVEN he unnecessarily busts!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Is stupid play costly to other players GIVEN he unnecessarily busts!

I know from maths that stupid plays help as well as they cost in the long run because the cards can lie in any ways and can both turn favourable sequences into unfavourable ones and vice versa.

It is what I feel several times when I play Blackjack and piss me off quite a lot.
    I’ll provide a situation.

Suppose dealer has a weak upcard of either 4, 5 or 6 (in a no hole card game)
    I have a stiff hand and correctly stand on 12-16.
    The third base next to me has 12-14 and decides to hit, get a picture and busts.
    (Yes, many ploppies hit 12 regardless, not realizing the chance of getting a picture when the dealer is weak.)

The dealer comes up with another picture (16) and a 5 to 21, taking all bets.
    if he has stood the dealer would have got two pictures in a row and busts.

What I ask here is “After I see the third base busts, it feels like I know myself that I’m more likely to lose as the high card (favourable for player) is wasted,”
    I know that it can turn the other way round that the third base gets a small card and the dealer gets two pictures in a row and busts, if he correctly stands the dealer would make a hand instead. But in that case it means the third base does not bust. The point is: If the third base unnecessarily busts, my losing chance increases. I want some explanation that this is not true but it is more likely the cards lie like this.

Sure, it’s true that 3rd base taking a face card decreases the likelihood of the dealer getting one. However, in basically all cases, it’s not useful at all to care about what the other players at the table are doing. Just wasting mental energy here.

Short term answer - dumb assholes will screw you and piss you off.
    Long term answer - no effect.

I was playing a party pit some years back just as I was transitioning from red chip to green chip. I played fuller tables in those days. Some plop makes a shitty play that cost me 2x70. Two or three hands later, same plop makes a really shitty play with me having 2x200 or 250 (a really big bet for me at the time). This time, his shitty play causes me to win both hands. I said nothing on either hand and considered the overall result as a bonus.

The same plops who make dumb plays will often say something stupid and rude when some Index play doesn’t work - you’ve interfered with the sacred flow, and somehow say nothing when your play causes a table win.

Solution - heads up if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I was playing a party pit some years back just as I was transitioning from red chip to green chip.
    Some years back means about 3.5 decades correct?

Quote Originally Posted by anc View Post
    Sure, it’s true that 3rd base taking a face card decreases the likelihood of the dealer getting one. However, in basically all cases, it’s not useful at all to care about what the other players at the table are doing. Just wasting mental energy here.
    In the long run I know from maths. But as cards are dealt the composition changes and maybe it is correct as you say, if I see the face card, the count lowers by one wasted and surely not in card counter’s favour. As some of you say, if it happens to be 5 of 6 (or 7 against 4 upcard), I feel better for dumb play, but during positive count the face card is more likely.

Many thanks

It helps just as much as it hurts. You're thinking has been debunked numerous times.
    Last edited by ShipTheCookies; 05-20-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Well, still can’t get a haircut. Grew a beard also which is getting pretty bushy. My wife now refers to me as...... Moses.

https://youtu.be/rXmYFTh5T7Y

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Some people are still playing red chips after that long. A side-effect of hoarding toilet paper.

Blog Entries

There are other players at the table?
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You know where to send the royalty check for using my line?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Yes, but assume I am the second-to-last player.

Many thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    It helps just as much as it hurts. You're thinking has been debunked numerous times.
    In the long run yes, but given the outcome of the unnecessary hit the odd shifts in dealer’s favour (if he busts) and in player’s favour (if he survives), so if the outcome is bust, the losing chance slightly increases due to lower deck count.

Quote Originally Posted by PromVRT View Post
    Originally Posted by Norm
    Yes, but assume I am the second-to-last player.
    Think of Norm's answer as a rhetorical question that is meant to be instructive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast