See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: BJA 3....I'm sick thinking of all the mistakes I made!!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I am taking the over.
    I think there will be over 50 Bosox posts in this thread at the rate you're going.

ZeeBabar, I just want to know after you go to the rest room and take a tinkle, when you return to the tables to play do you TINKER?

Obviously my being new is affecting my ability to understand this post in it's entirety. I can't figure out what asking him about using the restroom has to do with anything, or why anyone wants to know? I assume it's some kind of inside joke? I also want you to know, I'm not being facetious, I am asking an honest question, and I hope someone will tell me what I'm missing!

Okay, because I do not want someone putting words in your mouth like the new member has done to me.

Bosox......IF you're referring to me, as the new member who is putting words in your mouth, I don't see where I did that. If I did say that you said something, that you didn't say, I apologize, I never intended to put words in your mouth. I appreciated you saying you liked my spunk! I hope you'll still be willing to answer my future posts, I meant it when I said I thought you were knowledgeable, and are one of the helpful and thoughtful members here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooking with cards View Post
    Obviously my being new is affecting my ability to understand this post in it's entirety. I can't figure out what asking him about using the restroom has to do with anything, or why anyone wants to know? I assume it's some kind of inside joke? I also want you to know, I'm not being facetious, I am asking an honest question, and I hope someone will tell me what I'm missing!
    That is all me clowning around after a while you will see periodically there are plenty of bouts like this on the board.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Bosox......IF you're referring to me, as the new member who is putting words in your mouth, I don't see where I did that. If I did say that you said something, that you didn't say, I apologize, I never intended to put words in your mouth. I appreciated you saying you liked my spunk! I hope you'll still be willing to answer my future posts, I meant it when I said I thought you were knowledgeable, and are one of the helpful and thoughtful members here.
    Cooking with cards, I am sorry that we got off on the wrong track, if you don't mind I would like to put that part all behind us. Although if it's okay with you I would like to fully clarify some of my position on two of your questions that did not get answered that you deserve and somehow got lost in a reshuffle "reshuffle that is a joke".

So should I be getting experience, (when possible) or is there some reason you think I'm not ready? Something I should learn?
    If you are comfortable using what you said in the first post namely:

"I knew there was more to learn than just basic strategy, hi-lo count, deviations, and betting strategy...."

You are ready as ready can get, you did everything that you could that books and hard work provided. You said that when things get back to normal that you are ready to kick some ass, it is nice to have confidence and all of that but don't be jumping the gun here. What you did up to this point about the book part of your learning, I consider a requirement. Why? Because in my mind you will find that is the easiest and cheapest part of the education.

Now I know you said that you started playing blackjack at the end of last year, and that you have some prior experience but learning actual game table experience and being able to get away with it requires not only thousands of hours but I think a lifetime. ZeeBabar, said this next part, playing the game is where you find out about yourself that part of what he said is true. Many people are not cut out for the game, they often lack something like maybe patience or one of a hundred other things. So I want you to kick ass, just please remember this game will humble you quicker than you can imagine.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-24-2020 at 08:07 AM.

One correction from the quote:

I also want you to know that before today, in relation to the threads I've read, I actually told my husband that if I was ever able to meet someone from this forum, I wanted to meet Bosox.( I know I'll never get to meet Don!!) First, I love the name, I also thought you gave people thoughtful answers, that you tried to be helpful.
    You will have a better chance of meeting Don.

One correction from the quote:

You will have a better chance of meeting Don.
    Best chance is meeting Zee.....

Cooking with cards, I am sorry that we got off on the wrong track, if you don't mind I would like to put that part all behind us. Although if it's okay with you I would like to fully clarify some of my position on two of your questions that did not get answered that you deserve and somehow got lost in a reshuffle "reshuffle that is a joke".

It's in the past, I can admit I let my feelings get a little hurt, let me say now, I can assure you that does not happen at the table! I don't really care what other people have to say about me when I'm playing, if it's BJ, most people don't even know correct basic strategy for the game they're playing, but you aren't most people, you are obviously intelligent and knowledge about the game so it matters what you think!

If you are comfortable using what you said in the first post namely:

"I knew there was more to learn than just basic strategy, hi-lo count, deviations, and betting strategy...."

You are ready as ready can get, you did everything that you could that books and hard work provided. You said that when things get back to normal that you are ready to kick some ass, it is nice to have confidence and all of that but don't be jumping the gun here. What you did up to this point about the book part of your learning, I consider a requirement. Why? Because in my mind you will find that is the easiest and cheapest part of the education.

Now I know you said that you started playing blackjack at the end of last year, and that you have some prior experience but learning actual game table experience and being able to get away with it requires not only thousands of hours but I think a lifetime. ZeeBabar, said this next part, playing the game is where you find out about yourself that part of what he said is true. Many people are not cut out for the game, they often lack something like maybe patience or one of a hundred other things. So I want you to kick ass, just please remember this game will humble you quicker than you can imagine.
    I completely agree, learning is something that should never end, and I know I still have a long way to go! I want to learn as much as I possibly can! I am excited to get back at it, as soon as it's safe!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    My point is that in general, studying and gaining experience simultaneously is better than studying. In my case, I simply did not have the motivation to put in the time for serious study....just learned from forums, archives and books Without ever using software, sims, practice, etc. So, the learning has been slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Bottom line: Some people read the manual before tinkering. Others learn by tinkering. Personally, my entire life, I've read the manual! YMMV.

Don
    Maybe I misunderstood what Don meant, I see it as
    some people learn by reading the manual, (some learn more by reading the book first) and some learn from tinkering (some learn more from experience)....he also says he is the type to read the manual. Don please tell me if I'm wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Perfectly correct. And there was nothing wrong with your original post. You will quickly learn here that if you say the sky is blue, you will get 20 different responses, of which 10 will tell you how stupid you are. The thread will wind up with 50 posts, and the last one will be what the weather is in whatever state the poster lives. Such is the unfortunate nature of this forum, where many people's attention spans are, in general, those of a five-year-old.
    Yes I see my gaff regarding tinkering in your above quote.
    Don, I wrote that above quote just to avoid a little debate on the subject, even though I think that your above quote was in itself interpretational which is why I went with a different thought.

Relevant points of the quote:

"Some people read the manual before tinkering. Others learn by tinkering."

Don you quoted ZeeBabar, he has read your book, who knows how many times he bought it after leaving it behind somewhere. Damn it Don tell me the above quote shows perfect clarification?

Again you wrote:

"Such is the unfortunate nature of this forum, where many people's attention spans are, in general, those of a five-year-old."

Well I must be a five year old.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-24-2020 at 06:29 PM.

That's weird.......part of my post is in your post! I'm sleep deprived right now.....taking care of a 6yr old is a lot more work than I remembered and it's been a while! Sorry!

"Some people read the manual before tinkering. Others learn by tinkering."

Damn it Don, tell me the above quote shows perfect clarification?

Assuming you mean "clarity," it surely is clear to me! Maybe some emphasis will help: "Some people read the manual before tinkering. Others learn by tinkering."

To me, the meaning is transparent: You get a computer. Some people read the manual (in the days when there were paper manuals!) before they hit a single key. Others start banging away, with more or less trial and error, until, sooner or later, they start to have an idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm NOT that person. I'm the first person.

Clear?

Don

I wonder what Alan Dershowitz could do with that quote.

Hence the abbreviation RTFM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast