See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BJA 3....I'm sick thinking of all the mistakes I made!!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    "Some people read the manual before tinkering.
    Don, you quoted ZeeBabar who has read multiple blackjack books and admits at times he still tinkers. Hence he does both. "Some people read the manual before tinkering."

I may be off on the correct meaning of your quote, but, your quote has nothing to do with ZeeBabar.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-24-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Others start banging away, with more or less trial and error, until, sooner or later, they start to have an idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm NOT that person. I'm the first person.”.....that’s me...tinkering, along with nuggets gathered from books and forums that I remembered.

My problems or the lack of greater success is because I insist that my Blackjack be recreational. That means no practice, no sims, no software and no time spent learning anything. Just read books and forum archives along the way. Being old, no longer able to concentrate for long periods and easily distracted, I tinker along, satisfied at being even or slight positive.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I may be off on the correct meaning of your quote, but, your quote has nothing to do with ZeeBabar.
    My quote was completely general in nature and had noting to do with ZeeBabar. It wasn't aimed at any individual at all. It was a general observation.

Don

My quote was completely general in nature and had noting to do with ZeeBabar. It wasn't aimed at any individual at all. It was a general observation.

Don
    Don, I rather not look into this further since you already are a former English teacher. So I will ask you to decide my next two questions on one sentence of your quote:

"Some people read the manual before tinkering."

Is it not possible that someone would rightfully think that the sentence could be interpretational? Possibly because of the word before in it. Could using the word "only" either before or after tinkering have helped the reader?
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-25-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Is it not possible that someone would rightfully think that the sentence could be interpretational? Possibly because of the word before in it. Could using the word "only" either before or after tinkering have helped the reader?
    I really can't continue this anymore. You are clearly misunderstanding something, as neither of your suggestions makes any sense at all. And, I don't know if this is your problem, but the word "read" is intended to be the present tense here. The meaning is: "Some people decide that they would prefer to read the manual before they touch anything. Others touch right away and try to learn by trial and error."

Still trying to figure out why that meaning isn't clear to just you and no one else.

Don

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    The way I read it is, someone read the manual, and then that same person tinkered such as ZeeBabar who you quoted.

The way I read it is, someone read the manual, and then that same person tinkered such as ZeeBabar who you quoted.
    VERY famous quote by Samuel Johnson: “Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding.”

Please have the last word. I have no more to say on the subject, which you have sufficiently beaten into the ground.

Don

Still trying to figure out why that meaning isn't clear to just you and no one else.
    VERY famous quote by Samuel Johnson: “Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding.”
    Don, the reason is because everything is not all clear cut. The book that was described in the thread is the great book Blackjack Attack 3. All due respect most ALL relatively newer players have to read that book more than once before things start becoming clear. If the new player only read it once and went out to play some blackjack, they unfortunately very well may find themselves doing some tinkering. Sorry for my confusion.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-25-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Interesting thing about BJA3 is that Zi got more from it by a Don pointing out on various threads where the answer to a question is. He would write, chapter x, page you and then I go look it up.

A how to play paragraph at end of each chapter that points to utilizing info in betting or playing hands would be great as so much more is about how the answers were derived, the considerations leading to the research, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Interesting thing about BJA3 is that Zi got more from it by a Don pointing out on various threads where the answer to a question is. He would write, chapter x, page you and then I go look it up.

A how to play paragraph at end of each chapter that points to utilizing info in betting or playing hands would be great as so much more is about how the answers were derived, the considerations leading to the research, etc.
    That's an interesting suggestion that no one has ever made before. In essence, you'd be looking for something like a "Key Points" (or Takeaways) for each chapter. Wonder if it would be at all possible, given the amount of information contained in each chapter. Still, worth considering, if (or when!) we ever reprint.

Don

That's an interesting suggestion that no one has ever made before. In essence, you'd be looking for something like a "Key Points" (or Takeaways) for each chapter. Wonder if it would be at all possible, given the amount of information contained in each chapter. Still, worth considering, if (or when!) we ever reprint.

Don
    Hope you do. To me, BJA3 is like car manual when all I want is to drive to the grocery store or short trip. Now, if I wanted to test the cars limit or tracked my car, when stakes are high then surely I would need to know a lot more. If BJ3 had a “key points” chapter ending, people would not say the book is useful to pros or those with much experience, it would be attractive to the intermediate or the recreational player too.

Don
    I usually pee without requiring assistance.

That's an interesting suggestion that no one has ever made before.
    About 5 years ago ZeeBabar suggested that you add either a synopsis or summary at the end of each chapter. This may have been on Wong's site.
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-26-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast