See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better to readjust betting at +- 20% bankroll keeping RoR <= 1% or differently?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Better to readjust betting at +- 20% bankroll keeping RoR <= 1% or differently?

Colin in his Blackjack Apprenticeship videos mentions a lot of times most professionals keep the RoR at 2% or lower, 1% even better.

Risking losing a lot of money by a chance of 1/100 is small but you definitely don't wanna lose it, so he also mentioned to readjust RoR at <= 1% if you win/lose 20% of your bankroll. This way, you pretty much never gonna go broke and don't under-bet.

But why having a RoR at <= 1% if you can play with, e.g. 5% RoR, generate more EV, and readjust your bets if you win / lose 20% of the bankroll keeping RoR at 5%?

As a rough example, losing ~ 15000 € by keeping RoR at <= 1% and readjusting at +- 20% bankroll probability is > 1 of 141 018. Losing ~ 17000+ € goes to the 1 of hundred millions or billions zone.

How you manage your risk and what do you think about it?

My uneducated understanding is that as your BR grows, eventually your ROR gets lower. Now, with a larger BR, you could keep the same ROR but increase the size of your betting unit. However, some, because of their comfort level and others because of increased heat and back-offs, get to a point where they cannot keep increasing their betting unit, Max bets and spread, thus the ROR keeps decreasing.

In any case, I have been a very frugal fragile soul. I now have an $80 BR but still play red chip or $25 minimum games, keeping max bet under $150 at DD games and $250 at 6 deck games. Have no clue about math, no idea what my ROR is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    In any case, I have been a very frugal fragile soul. I now have an $80 BR but still play red chip or $25 minimum games, keeping max bet under $150 at DD games and $250 at 6 deck games. Have no clue about math, no idea what my ROR is.
    Zee, your ROR is through the roof, and yes you have no clue about the math,"$80 BR".
    Last edited by BoSox; 05-16-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Zee, your ROR is through the roof, and yes you have no clue about the math,"$80 BR".
    $80k BR, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Taking travel expense out of the equation, Zees bankroll is fine excepting the fact that his betting and ramping is far from optimal. Adding travel expense into his sub optimal betting puts his ROR through the roof. He’s been lucky.

Just to clarify and further state that Zee has been told this in different ways many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Taking travel expense out of the equation, Zees bankroll is fine excepting the fact that his betting and ramping is far from optimal. Adding travel expense into his sub optimal betting puts his ROR through the roof. He’s been lucky.

Just to clarify and further state that Zee has been told this in different ways many times.
    Tell you a secret, slow but steadily learning, it’s why I am in my 7+ year...

Thank you for the answers. I'm still unsure if to play at <= 1% RoR or more if keep adjusting at +- 20%, will do more calculations today. Keeping it at 10% RoR probabilty of losing ~ 15000 € would be incredibly high - ~ 1 of 99, so 5% seems like perfect in this situation, will check more soon.

I play at less than 1% ROR on most games. But my bankroll allows me to do that.
    Why anyone would choose to play this game without even knowing their ROR...is crazy in today's world. Or just dumb, crazy, lazy or lucky.
    It's how not to play BJ as an AP 101.
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 05-17-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Do you readjust your bets if the bankroll shrinks / increases 20% or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by LukizKing View Post
    Do you readjust your bets if the bankroll shrinks / increases 20% or similar?
    No not at 20%

At a higher percentage then?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LukizKing View Post
    But why having a RoR at <= 1% if you can play with, e.g. 5% RoR, generate more EV, and readjust your bets if you win / lose 20% of the bankroll keeping RoR at 5%?
    I will tell you why, because a player's playing bank has very different meanings to each individual, and no two people think exactly alike on the matter. For you yourself if you lost a certain percentage of, or your entire playing bank would you give up playing the game for good meaning for a lifetime? Whether or not a player is wealthy or poor it really boils down to that thought, how much money an individual is willing to put at risk before he/she quits the game for good or dies first. Everyone has different thoughts on the matter, including but not limited to how much effort and length of time it takes to reload, or said another way to get back in the game, if they are psychologically prepared to do that.

Well, I wouldn't like to lose my entire bankroll or 75% of it. Less than that is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast