Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Investing advice

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Investing advice

If someone had a sum of money to invest, would your advice be to invest it all over the next 6 months, or to spread it out over a year?

(this is not for myself btw, but someone asked me about this and I said I know a place where people might have some good input)

I know this isn't a simple question and largely speculation. I suggested maybe 3/4 over the next 6 months then the last 1/4 over another 6.

The thinking is flawed. Implicit in the question is we've seen the worst of the declines already. Dollar-cost averaging does not work over a time range when the market is in a downtrend. We may -- or may not -- be near a market bottom already. It seems to be trying to form a base, but personally I'm not yet convinced it will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatian View Post
    I've been buying about 100$ of stock a day plus I keep about 20,000$ spread between an accelerated savings account as well as in the brokerage account itself that I can throw at the market if it dips any further. About 13,500$ deep so far, will keep going at this rate until I have at least 30,000# invested.
    Accelerated savings account? Be careful of monthly fee bank charges. Some banks have spending requirements.

@ serious player

Citi bank just requires a 500$ min and currently 1.6% interest

Marcus Goldman has no minimum and currently 1.7% interest.

The money sitting in my brokerage account with vanguard but not invested is also invested in a money market account that has 1-2% interest

Better than letting the money sit in a bank.
    For people who doesn't have a Citi Bank Account the bank give bank bonus when you deposit a certain amount of money. Again, be careful of their monthly.

Another thing someone can do is if they are older and their 401k is set to conservative they can switch to a more aggressive style for the money coming in that will he buying stocks at this cheap rate.
    This is me. Right now, 95% in MM. It will be there until the markets show signs of establishing an actual floor again. Even though the markets are "on sale" right now from where they were previously, it is not outside the realm of the possible for them to drop another similar amount before they truly stabilize.

Quote Originally Posted by CountinCanadian View Post
    If someone had a sum of money to invest, would your advice be to invest it all over the next 6 months, or to spread it out over a year?

(this is not for myself btw, but someone asked me about this and I said I know a place where people might have some good input)

I know this isn't a simple question and largely speculation. I suggested maybe 3/4 over the next 6 months then the last 1/4 over another 6.

Depends what the sum is of course but I'm a huge fan of traded options with a bias towards selling puts (or credit spreads) and now I think is a good time. Get an account with Tastytrade....some very good guys whwre many others are scam artists....

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    as far as I'm concerned Don is the only one on this forum qualified to give investment advice

there are a great many places to obtain sound investment advice

this forum is not one of them
    Well, it's kind of you to say, but I'm not sure it's 100% true. There are some considerably wealthy people on the site who have, presumably, managed their assets and investments fairly intelligently over their lives. And some may offer perfectly sound advice.

You are, of course, correct to say that readers should be careful and should research any approach or investment suggestion thoroughly before taking any action that they might later regret.

Don
    Last edited by DSchles; 04-06-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Insurance companies need liquidity due to the virus. So, Citigroup just bought $2 billion in AAA bonds and sold them for a $100 million profit. Easy to make money if you have a couple billion handy.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Well, it's kind of you to say, but I'm not sure it's 100% true. There are some considerably wealthy people on the site who have, presumably, managed their assets and investments fairly intelligently over their lives. And some may offer perfectly sound advice.

You are, of course, correct to say that readers should be careful and should research any approach or investment suggestion thoroughly before taking any action that they might later regret.

Don
    Yeah, and they will remain wealthy if they stop taking their private planes to luxury destinations every week. Some even switch planes and hire security guards when they travel. Trust me I know. I've encounter some of them which I hate. It always make me wonder how rich are they compare to the top 2 richest person in the United States, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 04-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    Yeah, and they will remain wealthy if they stop taking their private planes to luxury destinations every week. Some even switch planes and hire security guards when they travel. Trust me I know. I've encounter some of them which I hate. It always make me wonder how rich are they compare to the top 2 richest person in the United States, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos.
    https://wealthygorilla.com/top-20-richest-people-world/

The point I am trying to make is that people who is rich is really not that rich compare to the richest. The US government have more money than Jeff Bezos.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    The point I am trying to make is that people who is rich is really not that rich compare to the richest. The US government have more money than Jeff Bezos.
    The US government also has more expenses..

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    The US government also has more expenses..
    Bad example, I should have used the Chinese government instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast