See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 virus

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by 21frogman View Post
    It isn't silly. Unfortunately, it is extremely dangerous. For all intents and purposes this is a new disease that it is easily transmitted person to person (as well as bat to person) and appears to have the potential to seriously affect whole populations.
    Also person to animal. In HongKong, there is a billionaire who got the virus, so she had her pet dog tested, too. The dog also test positive. Only super rich will have their dog tested for Covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Pandemics should not be trivialized. The flu pandemic in 1918 killed 50,000,000 to 100,000,000 in just a few months. Of course that was before we knew what a virus was. Flu was named for the Italian word influenza, meaning influence, because some thought it was caused by influence from planetary alignment. However, as much as medical science has progressed, it still takes over a year to develop a vaccine, and COVID-19 has spread to 84 countries in six weeks. (There's a case one mile from me.) Folks travel far more than in 1918.
    Great post, today it is in my state too uggg. The usual flu, still kills many people every year. In 1918 there were no airplanes.
    People travel so much more today...it was brought to my state by a man who recently was in Italy. In 1918 that would have never even happened.
    I think many thousands have it, but have not been tested yet. But then again, it's kind of the same as the seasonal flu. #coveryourmouthwhenyoucoughAhole and #washyourdamnhandsinthemensroom...we all see you not do it guys ugggg.
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 03-07-2020 at 12:01 AM.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Counting_Is_Fun View Post
    Great post, today it is in my state too uggg. The usual flu, still kills many people every year. In 1918 there were no airplanes.
    People travel so much more today...it was brought to my state by a man who recently was in Italy. In 1918 that would have never even happened.
    I think many thousands have it, but have not been tested yet. But then again, it's kind of the same as the seasonal flu. #coveryourmouthwhenyoucoughAhole and #washyourdamnhandsinthemensroom...we all see you not do it guys ugggg.
    It's not the same as seasonal flu at all. The death rate is around 50 times greater at about 3% whatever Trump may say....(and 3 times or so higher for those over 70)
    Last edited by ummagumma; 03-07-2020 at 12:30 AM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ummagumma View Post
    It's not the same as seasonal flu at all. The death rate is around 50 times greater at about 3% whatever Trump may say....(and 3 times or so higher for those over 70)
    You must only watch CNN and their hysterical reporting. Nobody actually knows what the death rate is, because nobody actually knows how many are infected. Find real news guy.

CIF look at the data. Sure no one really knows the actual number of those infected but we know the numbers that die. Exactly the same goes for influenza. From the reported cases of the latter the death rate is about 0.06%. However, in that case too I'd estimate a much higher proportion of around 60-70% of cases aren't reported so the death rate will fall to an even lower level. This means, whilst both COVID-19 and influenza have many unreported cases that are mild, to say they have comparable prognosis is to vastly underestimate the real danger. It's up to you of course, so keep ignoring the data at your peril. Have fun....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ummagumma View Post
    The death rate is around 50 times greater at about 3%
    The death rate is being way over-estimated. 80% of cases are asymptomatic or very mild illness, none of which are being tested. So the denominator in the death rate fraction is way too low.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    .................................................. ..........................................

this is from the CDC ( Center for Disease Control) who is the leading U.S. authority responsible for managing all aspects of this incident

this is from their website from one minute ago:

"At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
    Except in Seattle and NYC. Seattle has already a wide community spread and NYC has one super carrier family who likely already infect hundreds of people. The super carrier includes a lawyer, his college son and his high school daughter. Although only five cases are confirmed, including the lawyer, his wife, his son, his daughter and one of their neighbors. But his son had been living in the university dorm even showing symptoms. So did the daughter attending school. NYC has now closed the university and high school son and daughter going to. The lawyer is in severe condition even son show symptoms first. Except many cases coming after testing their friends and classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    Except in Seattle and NYC. Seattle has already a wide community spread and NYC has one super carrier family who likely already infect hundreds of people. The super carrier includes a lawyer, his college son and his high school daughter. Although only five cases are confirmed, including the lawyer, his wife, his son, his daughter and one of their neighbors. But his son had been living in the university dorm even showing symptoms. So did the daughter attending school. NYC has now closed the university and high school son and daughter going to. The lawyer is in severe condition even son show symptoms first. Except many cases coming after testing their friends and classmates.
    Just checked today's update. Today NYC added 33 new cases, most are related to this super carrier family.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    Just checked today's update. Today NYC added 33 new cases, most are related to this super carrier family.
    The coronavirus (COVID 19) is not community spread. Those people must have travel to other countries to get the virus and spread it. See people don't listen. You tell them not to travel and they do it anyways. Now they need to face the consequences. It is on them now.

Given all this, should a senior be flying? I have tickets, 7 of them over the next few months, flying to Zlas Zvegas, among other places. Should Zi cancel as my spouse is insisting?

How badly is Las Vegas tourism getting hurt?

Blog Entries

Globally, airlines expect a $113 billion drop in sales.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Given all this, should a senior be flying? I have tickets, 7 of them over the next few months, flying to Zlas Zvegas, among other places. Should Zi cancel as my spouse is insisting?

How badly is Las Vegas tourism getting hurt?
    A solution and the way around this is fly privately. Been consider doing that since the airport line lately looks like I was in Disney World. Get to the airport 4:00AM in the morning and there was a long line of people. I need a rest from all of that.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 03-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Blog Entries

They're taking it seriously in my building, sanitizing all apartment doors, elevator buttons, door knobs, high traffic areas, and have huge bottles of hand sanitizer in various spots. Unfortunately, a large percent of residents often fly internationally. At least I have an excuse to stay out of the fitness center.

Reminds me of flying to Australia. The plane lands, and if anyone stands up they are ordered to sit. They then go down the aisles spraying disinfectant. Only when this is done are you allowed to leave.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast