See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob needs advise how to memorize deviation play chart

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Noob needs advise how to memorize deviation play chart

Hi All,

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I've been a basic strategy player and counter using Hi-Lo for many years. I'm trying to take my play to the next level by adding the 18 most useful deviations to my play.

I have a chart with the deviations I want to use, but I'm having trouble getting the deviation numbers to stick in my mind. How do you go about memorizing or learning them?

The basic strategy chart is "two dimensions," your hand vs. dealer hand. Not too hard to learn. The deviations chart make it three dimensional.

For example, do you try to learn them in this order:

my hand, dealer up card, true count?

true count, my hand, dealer up card?

dealer up card, true count, my hand

etc. etc.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Last edited by RustyNail; 02-28-2020 at 06:11 AM.

I have a visual map in my mind of a sequence of areas, like a stretched rope with knots for each hand combination (my visual map is just spacial with no rope/knot image, but you get the idea). For example, I have a line for 12 v dealer, with spots for 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. Then I see that spot(deviation number) and can compare with the count. The order of reference is by: player hand, dealer card, count.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyNail View Post
    I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I've been a basic strategy player and counter using Hi-Lo for many years. I'm trying to take my play to the next level by adding the 18 most useful deviations to my play.
    I don't know a great deal about these "18 most useful deviations," but I'll try to help nonetheless.

First things first: just a quick aside. What you're asking for is adviCe, not adviSe.

The basic strategy chart is "two dimensions," your hand vs. dealer hand. Not too hard to learn. The deviations chart make it three dimensional.
    Well, that's not really true. The BS chart is your hand, the dealer's upcard, and a letter in a box representing S, H, D, etc. Now, for some of those boxes, you have a number, instead of a letter. Why does that make matters "three dimensional"? You already have the true count in your head. So, you reference your index number, compare it to the TC, and decide what play to make.

Make sure that you understand the meaning of the numbers, as to which action you take on the hand. Beginners can get confused with that. So, if the TC is greater than or equal to the index, according to the situation, you: stand, double, split, insure, or surrender (not necessarily in that order!).

As for memorizing 18 numbers, well, frankly, how long can that possibly take? Make flash cards, do computer drills, or just stare at the chart till it all sinks in, but realize that this isn't calculus!

Good luck.

Don

I just wrote each one of the illustrious 18 on 3"x5" index cards. I constantly flip through them and read them every day or every other day.

You do that all the time, eventually they stick with you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    I don't know a great deal about these "18 most useful deviations," but I'll try to help nonetheless.

First things first: just a quick aside. What you're asking for is adviCe, not adviSe.

Well, that's not really true. The BS chart is your hand, the dealer's upcard, and a letter in a box representing S, H, D, etc. Now, for some of those boxes, you have a number, instead of a letter. Why does that make matters "three dimensional"? You already have the true count in your head. So, you reference your index number, compare it to the TC, and decide what play to make.

Make sure that you understand the meaning of the numbers, as to which action you take on the hand. Beginners can get confused with that. So, if the TC is greater than or equal to the index, according to the situation, you: stand, double, split, insure, or surrender (not necessarily in that order!).

As for memorizing 18 numbers, well, frankly, how long can that possibly take? Make flash cards, do computer drills, or just stare at the chart till it all sinks in, but realize that this isn't calculus!

Good luck.

Don
    Thank you Don. Suuuuuure, you don't know about those 18. :-)

Yes, I know the difference between C vs S. Spell checker doesn't. :-)

For me at least, what the basic strategy chart is showing/asking is intuitive. If you have a pair, obviously the decision is whether to split or not (except 5s of course). If you have a 9 hand, the decision is whether to double or not. Etc.

I see what you are saying about the charts. So the basic chart is really three dimensions, then the deviations chart is four dimensions.

I guess my question with a deviations chart and flash cards is, what thought process do you go through in your mind to memorize that decision? If the flash card reads my hand 12, dealer hand 12, TC=4 (or whatever the value is, I don't have the chart in front of me right now), how do you read that card and what sequence do you say to yourself to learn that decision? I've tried it several ways, and it's not sinking in. :-)
    Last edited by RustyNail; 02-28-2020 at 09:35 AM.

It seems to me that you would do well with Norm's software, CVBJ. It allows yu to set up your play deviations based on Hi-Lo (& almost all other systems), puts them in a form that's easy to picture in your mind, and has drills and simulated games.
    The URL is www.qfit.com/card-counting-blackjack.htm

For example, do you try to learn them in this order:

my hand, dealer up card, true count?

true count, my hand, dealer up card?

dealer up card, true count, my hand

etc. etc.
    Two more to learn:

Front counting or back counting. Don't worry just as long as you keep an accurate count.

I guess my question with a deviations chart and flash cards is, what thought process do you go through in your mind to memorize that decision? If the flash card reads my hand 12, dealer hand 12, TC=4 (or whatever the value is, I don't have the chart in front of me right now), how do you read that card and what sequence do you say to yourself to learn that decision? I've tried it several ways, and it's not sinking in. :-)
    So, for me, the thought process would be: I have 12, and the dealer has 4. There are only two possibilities: either I hit or I stand. The index is 0. Since the true count is x, I (hit or stand).

Same thing for any play: 11 vs. ace? What can you possibly be debating? Double or just hit the hand. Index is 1. The TC is x. Make your decision accordingly.

I don't think there's any clearer way to look at it.

Don

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Two more to learn:

Front counting or back counting. Don't worry just as long as you keep an accurate count.

BoSox...no one ever uses that term! Remember?

Hi everyone (longtime no see!),

I built my charts in excel and where there is a deviation the cell has default play/index play/ alternate play.

For example H8 v dealer 6 would say H/d3. For me that is easier than the sometimes confusing single number entries you see in Wong tables and elsewhere.

To me that’s the easiest way to both see and review. Also permits you to add deviations as you become able to grow your mental deviation list.

The alternate play note is where there is no surrender offered and you may have a surrender deviation but if it’s not available you may have a hit/stand deviation. Those cells have a few digits but it keeps all the data in one place.

I also have S17 deviations denoted with a *

Glad to see very little has changed - for the good and the bad. Some new names nagging poor old Zee, but he battles on! That’s grit!

Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    visualize the charts and patterns...focus on positives and negatives to -2....ditto for BS....makes it easier to remember...for me...I use 50+ index plays...literally too many...

Thanks all for the "adviCe." I'm heading to Vegas in May, got a lot of homework to do before then.

RustyNail
    Last edited by RustyNail; 03-01-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Talking of dimensions, I thought one prevalent theory by those who know a lot about these things is that our universe is probably at least 10 dimensions. And if that's true dealing with just your 4 dimensional chart should be as easy as falling off a log.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast