Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Investing bankroll

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    All markets are skewed by central banks' QE, Repo and measurement like that. Better hold only 100% cash/money market in the next 18 months. Even Treasury is not as reliable as in the past. Forget corp bonds.
    Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    All markets are skewed by central banks' QE, Repo and measurement like that.
    Thanks. I am well aware markets continue to be distorted by the quantitative easing the Fed felt necessary to implement. There is risk in everything (and obviously we all accept some risk since we are on a board dedicated to an activity which carries a high degree of short-term risk). I'm comfortable with my strategy at the current time, though stand ready to adjust allocations should normalcy begin to take hold, with rising interest rates putting pressure on pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCBear4SJ View Post
    Thanks. I am well aware markets continue to be distorted by the quantitative easing the Fed felt necessary to implement. There is risk in everything (and obviously we all accept some risk since we are on a board dedicated to an activity which carries a high degree of short-term risk). I'm comfortable with my strategy at the current time, though stand ready to adjust allocations should normalcy begin to take hold, with rising interest rates putting pressure on pricing.
    Fyi, the banks bear no risk at all. The risk is transferred to holders of their debt(creditors). Previously this has been foreign countries. Most notably China. But when these creditors become skittish to the debtor-creditor waltz, the taxpayer is called upon to take up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Fyi, the banks bear no risk at all. The risk is transferred to holders of their debt(creditors). Previously this has been foreign countries. Most notably China. But when these creditors become skittish to the debtor-creditor waltz, the taxpayer is called upon to take up the slack.
    "Moral Hazard" has been discussed quite a bit since the last "financial crisis".

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Today 30 year US Treasury yield hit the historical low 1.89%. Still better than negative yield on some European bonds. But old financial rules may no longer be practical in the future. People should be extremely cautious on their savings instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by grnmax View Post
    Admit it, Don. It's Bitcoin, isn't it?
    you are not deciphering it correctly.

Bottom line is "it takes money to make money"....if you have sizable cash and connot make 10%+, try turning over some more stones..."somebody is making $$$"....just sayin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

Finally, I just never have been much of a bond person. And, although I have the highest regard for Vanguard and have a lot of my money with them in equity index accounts, I really don't approve of junk bond funds for investments (the euphemism is "High Yield"; they just leave out the "high risk" part!).
    Don

I don't dispute that Don knows more about the markets than me
    but nonetheless I disagree with him here
    my favorite bond fund is a high yield one from Vanguard - VWEHX
    it has made money in 20 out of the last 25 years
    all of the years that it lost money except 2008, the losses were very small - and in many years the gains were sizeable
    it even made money during the dotcom crash between 2000 and 2002
    in 2008 it did have a large loss of 21.29% but the S&P - which is Vanguard's favorite index fund lost close to 40%
    I don't consider this fund, or several other high yield funds to be high risk since the risk is spread out among hundreds of holdings

I have no affiliation with Vanguard or this fund - I'm not suggesting anybody buy it - I just used it as an example

this is a screenshot of this fund's performance since 1995:

EQI3KB5.jpg
    Last edited by drunk; 02-23-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    90% of the game is half mental

Just don't consider it a bond in your diversification strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPloppy View Post
    I tried to send a message to you, but I see that you have chosen not receive private messages. Is there a way I can email you to ask some questions?
    I just sent you a message on Discord....I think that's you, at least.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123