Thread: How to get comps in Vegas

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

How to get comps in Vegas

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way get rooms comped by making opposition betting with a partner in games like baccarat or machines in order to get rooms comped? Is it still possible?

opposition betting is just going to reduce your variance but you're still playing -ev games for comps that are likely worth less than the ev you're paying.

I have not tried, but I have spent time evaluating it.

I recently was listening to a Vegas dealer talking about craps ratings. Based on that discussion, you are typically going to get 'crappy' ratings unless you bet large on pass or don't pass and really focus on getting them to record your bets. Place betting and odds are not committed bets so they often don't give you as much credit for it. Opposition betting is a nuisance to them and they will not comp you much if they know you are doing it. Opposition bets means you are taking the negative EV on both hands, so are expected to lose twice as fast even though you eliminated the variance. I would argue that you might be better off to accept the variance and play slowly on one side of the bet. Try to get rated for pass (or don't pass) plus odds. The odds will cut the house edge on the overall action. If you are losing just hang in there long enough to let the variance come back to even, but of course there are no guarantees and you could get stuck. The more you play the more that -EV will stack up. Overall, it sounds to me like craps is not a good play for comps.

For baccarat with a pair playing separately and with opposing bets it might be possible for a pair to count and alter the play with enough of an advantage to negate the house edge. In that case you would have something you could scale up for comps. The question is if that would really be worth it vs. just spending the time playing your +EV game. I have not evaluated what edge you can get from counting, but I have heard that it is small. Side bets can be exploited, but again you have to deal with the variance.

Yes, at craps but it is best executed with three people. Opposition betting only exposes you to the 12 on a come out roll and ERRORS. Not a simple process and the "team" needs to be well trained, including an ability to adjust on the fly to errors.

Requires some research and planning to understand their comp system for craps.

Doing it alone makes you look stupid.

Doing it with two people is too easy for pit to spot unless on a full table with lots of action.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Thanks all for your opinions