Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
You think it’s stupid because, as you say...”when I am on a trip, I want to make as much EV as I can...”. Well, as a recreational activity, I want my trip to be recreational and fun as well. It’s a compromise. You trade some EV for less stress and some fun. You get your goal, then you have some fun....
Absolutely. I suppose when I said I want to make as much EV as I can right now, I should have said I want to make as much EV as I had planned for. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from gambling to relax and do recreational fun stuff like going to the beach, having nice dinners, going to the museum if you're a nerd, or doing stuff like that.

But you don't have to be stupid about it. The bottom line is that you still need to make enough EV to counteract your expenses to keep your ROR at an acceptable level. Worst case scenario is where your expenses exceed your EV, in which case your ROR is certainly 100%, because your net EV (EV - expenses) is negative. The next worst case is where EV = expenses such that you have zero net EV, in which case, again, your ROR is 100% -- variance cuts both ways, sure, but once you've hit ruin it can't swing up anymore. The desirable case is where EV > expenses, but even then, EV needs to be big enough relative to expenses in order to keep ROR at an acceptable. If the sim says you have a 1% ROR, you play absolutely perfectly, but you have expenses (taken from BR), then your ROR is greater than 1%.