See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to relocate even though the table has a positive count

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

When to relocate even though the table has a positive count

Was wonging it last night and found a table with a positive count. Did fairly well for the first few hands but it went sour after a while even though the count was still positive. At one point I had running count of 8 with less than 3 decks left so I started increasing my bets but the dealer was getting all the good hands. If I had an 18 she would get 19. If I had a 21 she would get a push. An old guy on the other end of the table was betting 4 to 5 hundred a hand was doing pretty good and was ahead. What are you guys doing in situation like this? Play on or leave?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
    An old guy on the other end of the table was betting 4 to 5 hundred a hand was doing pretty good and was ahead. What are you guys doing in situation like this? Play on or leave?
    Clearly, the answer is to switch seats with the old guy!

Seriously, what is your question: If the TC is +3, but you can't win a hand, should you just leave the table? Er, no, you shouldn't.

Don

If you’re contemplating leaving the table because you’ve experienced some short-term negative variance, then you haven’t studied enough.

Was wonging it last night and found a table with a positive count. Did fairly well for the first few hands but it went sour after a while even though the count was still positive. At one point I had running count of 8 with less than 3 decks left so I started increasing my bets but the dealer was getting all the good hands. If I had an 18 she would get 19. If I had a 21 she would get a push. An old guy on the other end of the table was betting 4 to 5 hundred a hand was doing pretty good and was ahead. What are you guys doing in situation like this? Play on or leave?
    Voodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    If you’re contemplating leaving the table because you’ve experienced some short-term negative variance, then you haven’t studied enough.
    exactly, positive count play is all we are looking for, the math will fix the rest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "between the conception and the reality, falls the shadow "

Paraphrased: T.S. Eliot's
    The Hollow Men

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You should stay put. Some people are winning. It is the confirmation that the counting works. You only need to worry when TC are high and most people are losing, especailly AP and Basic Strategy players and it lasted for a long period of time or all night.

Think about it this way: just because the good cards are coming out doesn’t mean you’ll get them. Dealer gets just as many BJs, 20s, etc. as you do. And if the count rises in a round, that means you were at a disadvantage during that round (you just didn’t know it) because more small cards than big cards came out.

relocate

I just started playing the game this year. That is why I ask. Read several books including Stanford wong's pro blackjack. Still learning.

Aside from the possibility of cheating, which is pretty remote, there is no real correlation between a series of results in the past and a series of results that will occur in the future. It is very common to lose in positive counts, in fact, where you were betting, you were more likely to lose the next hand than you were to win it (you did still have an edge, assuming you were employing the strategy perfectly, because you were expected to win more of the extra payouts, like after doubling or splitting, or even just getting a blackjack. That being said, there is nothing wrong with bouncing to another table if you have been getting wrecked, especially if the count has come down. It doesn't hurt. You can even avoid dealers that you have lost heavily too, assuming there are plenty of other options; it doesn't cost anything, and can make you look like a superstitious gambler.

Make sure you are not over betting your bankroll. You want to set your max bet at around 100 max bets. So if you are betting $100 max bet, you need a $10k bank to back it up. With a bigger bankroll you can even playing with 200, 300, or even more max bets, because you can still earn an appreciable hourly, and you minimize your exposure to negative variance.

Another important thing is to generate a lot of expected value. The more rounds you squeeze in, the more likely you are to end ahead. Playing in good games, and maximizing volume while not attracting heat can go along way to ensuring that you see a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Er, no, you shouldn't.
    I'm surprised NO wasn'tcapitalized with a few exclamation points.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    The other day I had one of you wongers standing behind me on the phone. I told the player I don't want you standing behind me with a cell phone. A couple of words were exchanged and he kept standing there. I called the pit over and they told him either you play or you move on. If wonging on my table your better kiss you ass goodbye. I am sick of you MF eating my cards up.
    Last edited by Eye of the Eagle; 12-14-2019 at 01:29 PM.

You're in wisconsin?

You're in wisconsin?
    No MI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast