See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Keweenaw Snow Thermometer

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Keweenaw Snow Thermometer

This thermometer shows the record snow the area has received in the past. Right now we are over 73 inches and on track for a record breaking year.

https://www.pasty.com/snow/

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Snow thermometer page indicated 73.5 inches yesterday. Today its indicating 89.2 inches. Heck, with 4 more months of winter to go we will break the 400 inch mark.

I snow shoveled for over an hour today, and I'm still not done. This past weekend I shoveled for over 2.5 hours including brushing off the old car and shoveling to open the door to the back yard. I over did it and did not feel well afterwards. In my old age, about a hour and a half is my limit for snow shoveling.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It astounds me that you don't appear to own a snow blower.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    It astounds me that you don't appear to own a snow blower.
    I have a snow plower instead. However, he can't do around and close to the second car. He also can't do the steps and all of the path. Right now I have a foot of snow on top of my second car. It will probably take almost half an hour to get that cleaned up. Shoveling the porch and steps takes about 10 minutes, and the wife usually does that when she takes the dog out, but then I still have to move the snow to the far side of the yard.

I don't want my path looking like this.

7bfd9914428576662e68b823b858ad03--the-mitten-upper-peninsula.jpg
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 12-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    This past weekend I shoveled for over 2.5 hours including brushing off the old car and shoveling to open the door to the back yard. I over did it and did not feel well afterwards. In my old age, about a hour and a half is my limit for snow shoveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    I have a snow plower instead. However, he can't do around and close to the second car. He also can't do the steps and all of the path.
    Regardless of who you've hired to do the bulk of the snow removal, if you find yourself shoveling for that long in order to clear the rest then, in my opinion you need a snow blower. I'm also amazed that this appears to be the first winter that you've had winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Regardless of who you've hired to do the bulk of the snow removal, if you find yourself shoveling for that long in order to clear the rest then, in my opinion you need a snow blower.
    Then what would he complain about?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    The Keweenaw snow thermometer shows 142 inches so that means we got dumped on with 24 inches of snow with winter storm "Gage." It is time to get my roof shoveled. I tried calling the contractor today, but no answer. He is probably out shoveling roofs. Two of my neighbors just shoveled their roofs. I think it is time to do mine. Last night spent time chopping ice on my porch and brushing off what winter storm 'Gage" dumped on my second car. Still a little more cleanup work to do, but it can wait.

Today the snow thermometer measured 149.4 inches for the year.

However, for me, today was shovel the roof day. The contractor sent a crew of 3 guys and they spent a total of 6 man hours doing the roof. There was actually less snow than other years due to a couple of melt downs we had, but those melt downs actually made it harder to get the snow off the roof. If I was doing the roof, it would take me at least 8 hours and at my age 2 hours would be my limit per day. I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

However, the bad news is the contractor raised his price from $47 an hour to $50 an hour per man hour plus he charges for transportation. I don't know what the final bill will be yet because they divide the transportation up between all the customers they do in a day. I imagine the bill will be between $400 to $450. Much more expensive than last year as they only sent a 2 man crew last year and they did it in the same amount of time.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-10-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks for not starting a new thread for your latest update.

Midwest Player, be sure to set imits as to how long and how hard you shovel snow, especially in colder temperatures. When in doubt, err on the side of taking it easy. As you know, shovelling snow is especially hard on the body, especially an older body .

Jan 15th pretty much marks the halfway mark for winter. Today the snow thermometer reads 163 inches of snow so I doubt we are going to be breaking any snowfall records this year.

It doesn't look like we have very much snow this year and that is due to a couple of significant thaws. However, 163 inches of snow is a lot. The thaws always make for icy conditions, but so far I have not fallen. The wife fell once earlier in the year and it wasn't even slippery. Since then she has been wearing her Yaktraxs faithfully. One of the guys from my roof shoveling crew slipped on the ice and fell in my driveway. I just missed seeing it happen, but he was not hurt.

I'm a little worried about my path getting icy. For some reason the dog in his old age likes to pee all the way down the path and its getting icy. I'm kind of dreading spring breakup. Hopefully it will get warm and stay warm. I hate these thaws.

Usually about this time of year the big lake starts to freeze over, but this year its all open water. So we may still be in for a lot of lake effect snow yet. The lake effect snow machine is suppose to start up tonight. They are predicting about 6 inches, and then for the weekend we get to deal with winter storm Jacob. Anyway, I scheduled my end loader guy to come next week and make room for more snow.

The possibility of a record snowfall this year is still on. Since Thursday we must have got close to 30 inches of snow. We got close to 10 inches on Thursday. Friday was a quite day. Then winter storm Jacob hit Friday night and all hell broke loose. My wife shoveled once early on Saturday morning, then I shoveled in the afternoon, and finally my wife shoveled the porch steps again late tonight. There was so much snow my snow plower actually came twice today. Damn, he is good. It is still snowing now, and I just saw the city plow go by and put a big snowbank in front of my house. More shoveling to do tomorrow.

All my neighbors next to me now got their roofs shoveled. My roof doesn't even look like its been shoveled. Hope I don't have to do it again.