Thread: Any Chance This Can Explode in My Car

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Any Chance This Can Explode in My Car

A few weeks ago with the declining temperatures, I topped off the air pressure in my second car (year 2008). I plugged the air compressor in my 12v car outlet without the engine running and when I was done the battery was dead. The car wouldn't start. I called my brother who has one of these new car battery jumpers. They are small and you don't need a second car, but they give a real good boost.

Well, anyway the car started right away and seems okay now except warning lights come on like A/C and ABS, but think that was because of the dead battery. I didn't bother to have it checked out or the codes cleared. It is only a second car used around town.

I was debating if I should buy a new battery (battery is 6 years old) or one of these new compact battery jumpers. A new car battery would cost about $200 installed, but of of these jumpers cost only a little over a $100 so I bought the jumper.

Now I'm wondering if there is a chance these things can explode since they contain a lithium battery. I don't know if I should store this in my car or not especially with 20 below temperatures that are common in the winter.

Anyway, here is the battery jumper I bought. Any thoughts.
    https://no.co/gb40
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 11-24-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Lithium batteries don't explode. Poorly made ones (from China) sometimes spontaneously ignite (as in one of the Samsung Note devices).

You made a mistake not replacing the battery. A 6 year old car battery is well beyond its life expectancy. A portable air pump is not a big load and indicates your car battery can no longer hold a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Now I'm wondering if there is a chance these things can explode since they contain a lithium battery. I don't know if I should store this in my car or not especially with 20 below temperatures that are common in the winter.

As 21ForMe said, Lithium batteries don't really explode (LiPo's do NOT like being punctured, however!), but they can catch on fire, especially if over or under charged, and you have to be careful with LiPo's specifically for storage charge (3.85V per cell) and balance charging (Ie: 16.8V is not the same as 16.8V balanced over 4 cells). I will assume that the product you bought has a built-in intelligent charging circuit to handle all of this.

I build and fly quadcopters as a hobby, and have several LiPos. (1S to 4S) I do personally keep them stored and transported in a fireproof bag, just for safety.

MWP, if you are concerned about a LiPo "exploding" in your car (And I'd say that catching on fire is effectively just as bad), you could consider storing it in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Firep...dp/B0719H46PF/

Double check the dimensions, of course.

Finally, regarding the cold:

Cold temperatures negatively impact battery performance by increasing the internal resistance of the battery. This effectively reduces the amount of current that can be drawn. Now, luckily by having a high internal resistance, when you attempt to draw a lot of current the temperature goes up on the battery, lowering the resistance to a point. If your car battery is that old, you should definitely replace it. And double check what the operating temperatures are of your portable jumper.