See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes crossing the line - what constitutes libel and ir defamation

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What constitutes crossing the line - what constitutes libel and ir defamation

Norm said
    ***** There is one thing that is unforgivable. Libel. Anyone that posts anything libelous about another person is gone forever. Sadly, other sites allow this.*****
    ?
    ?Norm also said
    *****Likely they will go elsewhere and talk about how they were banned as part of a deep state conspiracy or some other nonsense instead of reflecting on their own disruptive behavior. If and when they return, we will see if they have realized that perhaps they were suspended for their own actions - not because of a paranoia induced belief that there are some oddball, backroom machinations designed to alter the social order of the world.*****

Pretty inflammatory, bordering on defamation. In fact, outrageous. I take offence. Under your new rules, you need to suspend yourself, possibly for life.

Your 360 turnabout, after having allowed turmoil to ferment is interesting. I’ve had the “pleasure” of returning non stop shots for some period of time, engaged in “debate” with the likes of DBS, CountingisFun, Refinery, Snarky, etc., and of course, having hi opt 2 shoved up my ass for years. You’ve allowed bullshit from these guys non stop against all sorts of members, including many not able or willing to defend themselves - left out in the open by your impotence in keeping control.

So absolutely new rules applied - I think it would be interesting to undelete the posts in question, and let the membership decide if I crossed the line. Certainly, being told to go fuck myself is not anything new, and I thought my comments in response were incredibly restrained, and without crossing that new line.

In our subsequent email exchange, you indicated that I “provoked” CIF. Norm, it’s impossible to “provoke” someone, whose sole purpose in posting is to “provoke” others. In fact, if you think I provoked him, you’ve been played.

Okay, I’ve said my $.02. There’s certainly more that I can add. In any event, in regards to you undeleting posts, the gauntlet has been laid - up to you now. So, to prevent the risk of suspension over typos, I think it appropriate that I take my time and efforts elsewhere, at least for the foreseeable future.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Don’t Freightman, why are you posting this....I don’t want to see you banned. You are one of the elite few I respect (even if you get into ball scratching too much).

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    No idea what this is about. There has been no change in any rule. None. Period. Do I have to explain the rules for the 50th time? If you claim that someone has committed a crime with no evidence, you will be sanctioned. I have never done this and cannot understand why anyone else would. That has been true since day one. As for leaving, anyone can go wherever they are allowed.

I have been trying to reduce the posts here for over a year as I would like to see more on topic posts and fewer attacks, silliness, and irrelevant what not. We have too many posts here.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    No idea what this is about. There has been no change in any rule. None. Period. Do I have to explain the rules for the 50th time? If you claim that someone has committed a crime with no evidence, you will be sanctioned. I have never done this and cannot understand why anyone else would. That has been true since day one. As for leaving, anyone can go wherever they are allowed.

I have been trying to reduce the posts here for over a year as I would like to see more on topic posts and fewer attacks, silliness, and irrelevant what not. We have too many posts here.
    You’re right. It would be more correct to replace with the “abrupt change in manner of enforcement”

Blog Entries

Don started a thread on this and others chimed in on the need for an increase in enforcement. I tend to follow membership suggestions, and stated that I would follow such. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. So be it. You can always start a new forum -- and be blamed by paranoid individuals of oddball, ulterior, nefarious conspiracy theories for every post by other people some guy finds offensive and pilloried under your real name for years on every open forum with claims that you are the devil incarnate.

I am moving this week and don't have time for all this silliness.
    Last edited by Norm; 11-19-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Norm, don’t tell us you are moving to MWP’s area, lol.

Blog Entries

In 30 years, MWP's area will be 70 degrees in the winter. He's thinking ahead like an AP.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Norm said
    ***** There is one thing that is unforgivable. Libel. Anyone that posts anything libelous about another person is gone forever. Sadly, other sites allow this.*****
    ?
    ?Norm also said
    *****Likely they will go elsewhere and talk about how they were banned as part of a deep state conspiracy or some other nonsense instead of reflecting on their own disruptive behavior. If and when they return, we will see if they have realized that perhaps they were suspended for their own actions - not because of a paranoia induced belief that there are some oddball, backroom machinations designed to alter the social order of the world.*****

Pretty inflammatory, bordering on defamation. In fact, outrageous. I take offence. Under your new rules, you need to suspend yourself, possibly for life.

Your 360 turnabout, after having allowed turmoil to ferment is interesting. I’ve had the “pleasure” of returning non stop shots for some period of time, engaged in “debate” with the likes of DBS, CountingisFun, Refinery, Snarky, etc., and of course, having hi opt 2 shoved up my ass for years. You’ve allowed bullshit from these guys non stop against all sorts of members, including many not able or willing to defend themselves - left out in the open by your impotence in keeping control.

So absolutely new rules applied - I think it would be interesting to undelete the posts in question, and let the membership decide if I crossed the line. Certainly, being told to go fuck myself is not anything new, and I thought my comments in response were incredibly restrained, and without crossing that new line.

In our subsequent email exchange, you indicated that I “provoked” CIF. Norm, it’s impossible to “provoke” someone, whose sole purpose in posting is to “provoke” others. In fact, if you think I provoked him, you’ve been played.

Okay, I’ve said my $.02. There’s certainly more that I can add. In any event, in regards to you undeleting posts, the gauntlet has been laid - up to you now. So, to prevent the risk of suspension over typos, I think it appropriate that I take my time and efforts elsewhere, at least for the foreseeable future.
    While I disagree with the Norm having to ban himself part, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the sentiment. People like CIF have been allowed to attack others unprovoked then play the victim when responded to. Pertinent post.

Blog Entries

Um, CIF was not allowed. He was recently suspended. If he does it again after his suspension, the suspensions will escalate. Some people call it Martingale.

Um, CIF was not allowed. He was recently suspended. If he comes back and does it again, the suspensions will escalate. Some people call it Martingale.
    I was not aware of the counting is fun ban but it was definitely warranted and I appreciate you taking action.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherNotGiveMyRealName View Post
    I was not aware of the counting is fun ban but it was definitely warranted and I appreciate you taking action.
    Counting ain’t fun when you can’t be on BJTF.

Some people call it Martingale.
    But we know that doesn't work

Blog Entries

Depends on what side of the table you inhabit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast