See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Frequency or EV?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Frequency or EV?

If you had the choice between a 1 deck playzone with a minimum TC5 or a 4.5deck playzone with a minimum TC2, which would you choose and why?
    Standard 6D S17 game No surrender No Ins. BJ wins all.

Without running any numbers, I would take 4.5 deck, TC of 2. Why? Because I will need to take insurance at TC 5, and it isn't offered. I don't think this example matches the thread title very well. Are you trying to ask a question here or just posing a thought exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacblacc911 View Post
    If you had the choice between a 1 deck playzone with a minimum TC5 or a 4.5deck playzone with a minimum TC2, which would you choose and why?
    What do we know? We know that the 4.5 deck play zone option has a deep cut as you already have at least a +2 TC. On the other choice who knows where the cut card placement is. If both choices had equally deep cuts the number of hands being played at the table would have a lot to do with it. Seated alone with that 1 deck play zone would be a really good choice as you are already deep into the pack where the TC tends to remain the same as the running count hopefully goes down, you also have the floating advantage working for you at that point.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You didn't mention if DAS or not. I assumed not.

The +2 TC edge is 0.72%. The +5 TC edge is 2.40%, which is 3.33 times as great. But the 4.5-deck play zone is 4.5 times as great as the 1-deck play zone. So, you'd rather have a 0.72% edge for 4.5 decks than a 2.40% edge for only one deck.

Don

''Without running any numbers, I would take 4.5 deck, TC of 2. Why? Because I will need to take insurance at TC 5, and it isn't offered. I don't think this example matches the thread title very well. Are you trying to ask a question here or just posing a thought exercise?''

Legitimate question. By frequency I mean the frequency of hands played at an advantage.
    I.e. Assume heads up play, I will get 9 rounds on the 1 deck at TC5 and 43 rounds on the 4.5 deck at TC2.

''What do we know? We know that the 4.5 deck play zone option has a deep cut as you already have at least a +2 TC. On the other choice who knows where the cut card placement is. If both choices had equally deep cuts the number of hands being played at the table would have a lot to do with it. Seated alone with that 1 deck play zone would be a really good choice as you are already deep into the pack where the TC tends to remain the same as the running count hopefully goes down, you also have the floating advantage working for you at that point.''

The 1 deck playzone will be 100% pen according to pseudo decks. The 4.5 deck similar.
    Assume heads up only.

''You didn't mention if DAS or not. I assumed not.
    The +2 TC edge is 0.72%. The +5 TC edge is 2.40%, which is 3.33 times as great. But the 4.5-deck play zone is 4.5 times as great as the 1-deck play zone. So, you'd rather have a 0.72% edge for 4.5 decks than a 2.40% edge for only one deck.''

It is S17 DAS Sp4 RSA4

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    You didn't mention if DAS or not. I assumed not.

The +2 TC edge is 0.72%. The +5 TC edge is 2.40%, which is 3.33 times as great. But the 4.5-deck play zone is 4.5 times as great as the 1-deck play zone. So, you'd rather have a 0.72% edge for 4.5 decks than a 2.40% edge for only one deck.

Don
    I did not realize that the two different edges stayed basically the same throughout the process, I thought it was only a starting point. Since that is the case the EV edge moneywise would actually be much closer than we think. How much total money would each player betting have bet at the end of the example? Remember one guy should be betting max bets every hand, along with getting that much higher edge.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I did not realize that the two different edges stayed basically the same throughout the process, I thought it was only a starting point. Since that is the case the EV edge moneywise would actually be much closer than we think. How much total money would each player betting have bet at the end of the example? Remember one guy should be betting max bets every hand, along with getting that much higher edge.
    If you read my post, you would understand that it incorporated what I mentioned. And if the TC is +2 or +5 at the start, there is never any tendency for the TC to change, as card are dealt. Only the RC.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    And if the TC is +2 or +5 at the start, there is never any tendency for the TC to change, as card are dealt. Only the RC.
    In my first post, I made the reference regarding the TC tendency to remain the same regarding the example of the player with the +5 TC because he has only one deck left to play before the cut card comes out. Although I did not know how deep the cut card was in that six-deck game that was stated in the first post of the thread. In the second example with the TC of +2 with 4.5 decks left to play, not counting how many cards are behind the cut card the TC has plenty of room to change.

The 1 deck playzone will be 100% pen according to pseudo decks. The 4.5 deck similar.
    Assume heads up only.
    In your first post, you mentioned standard six decks.