See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVCX - confused about 1H/2H bet optimization

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

CVCX - confused about 1H/2H bet optimization

I normally play 1 hand in -EV counts and 2 hands in +EV counts, with the exception of playing 1H regardless if there's not a spot open next to me or I'm the only player.

The standard "conversion" from optimal 1H bet to optimal 2H bet, in BJA3 I think, is you multiply your 1H bet by .73 and bet that amount on each of two spots.

My betting scheme is therefore based on 2 hands in + counts and when I play 1 hand in a + count, I add about 50% to the amount that'd I would have bet on each of 2 spots. For example, if my scheme calls for betting 2 x $100 and I'm only playing 1 spot, I would bet 1 x $150 instead.

CVCX seems to be doing this differently, as these screenshots show. Seems that it's using a factor much higher than .73, or calculating it some other way. Assuming CVCX is right, I'm under-betting when playing 1 spot. Can someone clarify the correct way to "convert" my optimal bet from 1 spot to 2 spots?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 11-01-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Yikes accidentally included the name of a store in original images.... all fixed now.

I might have figured this out on my own - CVCX is prioritizing sticking to the spread I specified, right?

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes, it is using the spread that you set. But, also it is taking into account the differences in TC frequencies caused by you adding a hand when the count is higher. The .73 co-variance rule is used when you are always playing two hands -- not when you change according to the count.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I try to find an risk-equivalent pattern by adjusting the spread. You can usually tune in a ramp that has a similar SCORE between one hand and two-hands. Then you can compare the various statistics to understand the trade-offs.

Sometimes someone takes your second spot. Sometimes you can't spread to two hands until a higher count because they require twice the minimum bet for two spots. Sometimes you want to spread with little bets to eat up little cards. If you have several different betting patterns that you know will meet your goals you can switch between them on the fly or as conditions permit.

Yeah, that's the idea; finding a risk-equivalent pattern, which I always understood to be bet about 1.5X as much on 1 spot as you would on each of 2 spots when you can't or shouldn't play 2 spots. CVCX doesn't agree and I can't understand why not.

Also, in head-to-head game, it shows less EV per hour when playing 1 spot at the same ROR vs. 2 spots - seems that can't be right as you're supposed to only play 1 spot when playing head to head to conserve cards, right?

So I'm still confused and I'm unsure how much to bet when playing only one spot in a good count, but I'll play around with it some more and see what I can figure out.

Blog Entries

Betting 1.5x on two hands is correct if someone leaves the table when you switch to two hands. Otherwise, CVCX must adjust for the fact that the TC frequencies are changed by a adding another hand to each round at higher counts.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I get that any change in the game conditions will affect optimal bets, but this is really drastic! Take a look at these screenshots. I've got identical conditions, and identical ROR, but for 4 players vs. 1 player and me playing 2 hands with 4 players and 1 hand with 1 player.

If I bet optimally, I should make about the same money per round, but it's not even close, plus N0 and SCORE become terrible. What am I missing?

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 5.18.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-11-05 at 5.18.05 PM.jpg

Blog Entries

The conditions are quite different. Most drastically, the spread changing from 19 to 30.

I had to change the spread to get the ROR to match. Isn't the idea to put out as much money as you can without exceeding your risk tolerance? That's why I changed the spread.

Blog Entries

The idea is to maximize SCORE with the desired RoR. But, you obviously will have better results when you increase the spread.

Right, so what's driving the dramatically lower SCORE in the 1-hand head-to-head game, since ROR is the same? Is there something inherent about head-to-head 1-hand play that makes it riskier?

Blog Entries

The lower spread. When you lower the spread, you lower the SCORE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast