See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk of Ruin

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Risk of Ruin

Hi, what level of risk of ruin to counters generally play on? I am switching from six deck to 8 deck and with my br, it makes sense to play two hands to raise my ev. However this jumps my risk of ruin from 1.1% to just under 4 %. At what level does risk of ruin become a concern?
    Thank you

Is 2.8% ror too risky?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
    Is 2.8% ror too risky?
    Depends. How do you feel about a 2.2% ROR.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Everyone must choose their own level of risk they are comfortable with. There are many factors that go into this.

Is this a hobby, or a living?
    Can you replenish or continually add to the bankroll from an outside source?
    How big is the bankroll? Generally, the bigger it is, the more you’d want to protect it.
    How much EV do you wish to generate in the games you play?

Those are only a few of the questions you should ask yourself. Not sure if 2.8% would be too risky for you since you haven’t provided any other information.

7 out of 8 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
    Hi, what level of risk of ruin to counters generally play on? I am switching from six deck to 8 deck and with my br, it makes sense to play two hands to raise my ev. However this jumps my risk of ruin from 1.1% to just under 4 %. At what level does risk of ruin become a concern?
    Thank you
    If it jumps your ROR, then you aren't betting the two hands optimally with respect to the one-hand amount. For example, suppose your optimal one-hand bet is $100. To bet two hands optimally, you should be betting 73% of that amount ($73) on each of the two hands. Since that is not practical, $75 will do. If you bet this way, ROR stays the same.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    If it jumps your ROR, then you aren't betting the two hands optimally with respect to the one-hand amount. For example, suppose your optimal one-hand bet is $100. To bet two hands optimally, you should be betting 73% of that amount ($73) on each of the two hands. Since that is not practical, $75 will do. If you bet this way, ROR stays the same.

Don
    Sorry Don, I mistyped on my smartphone. I wanted to rate your post helpful but accidentally rated it not helpful. Cannot revert this as it seems...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    Sorry Don, I mistyped on my smartphone. I wanted to rate your post helpful but accidentally rated it not helpful. Cannot revert this as it seems...
    I threw in a helpful to balance it out. Now it's net 0. Someone throw in a helpful so Don gets his net +1.

There you go...

Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    Everyone must choose their own level of risk they are comfortable with. There are many factors that go into this.

Is this a hobby, or a living?
    Can you replenish or continually add to the bankroll from an outside source?
    How big is the bankroll? Generally, the bigger it is, the more you’d want to protect it.
    How much EV do you wish to generate in the games you play?

Those are only a few of the questions you should ask yourself. Not sure if 2.8% would be too risky for you since you haven’t provided any other information.[/QUOT

[QUOTE=hitthat16;276827]Thank you, those were the type of questions I really needed to ask! Major help

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    Not to worry. I have never, ever looked at this feature.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Not to worry. I have never, ever looked at this feature.

Don
    Me neither, but it seems to matter to some folks how many "likes" or dislikes they get.

[QUOTE=DannyOcean;276838]
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    Thank you, those were the type of questions I really needed to ask! Major help
    It's all very subjective...1% or 4% ROR...It really just depends on you tolerance of risk.
    Do you have CVCX?
    I usually am comfortable playing to less than 5%...but you have to be very honest with yourself. Many factors to consider. Are you evaluating all the games you play very accurately? All rules and all variables? How fast are the games dealt really? Are ploppies playing the side bets and are they slowing the game down, almost always yes. How many hands per hour are you really playing? Many things to consider and be honest about. It is very easy to overestimate your EV etc.

Hi Don,

A sidebet, ev=+12.68%(player edge), Var = 8.87, Kelly ratio = 1, ROR = 13.53%, so :-

Bankroll(units) = 100 * Var/ev = 100*8.87/12.68 = 70 units

According to my understanding, the probability that I will loss this entire 70 units is 13.53% in the long run.

How many rounds played will consider as "long run" in this example ?

James

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast