See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Should posts be able to be deleted?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, at any time

3 18.75%
  • yes, but only within ____ days of posting (splease specify)

9 56.25%
  • Not all all

4 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should posts be able to be deleted?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think a week or so is good. I get that it could really disrupt a decent thread at that point, but also for people who don’t visit daily maybe 1-2x per week gives a little bit of extra time for someone to suggest deleting a post that’s too sensitive or for OP to realize or correct that after suggestion, three days maybe a bit tight given no access to pm’s without subscription.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Hope Norm stays with it and let’s us delete posts whenever. On another forum some years back, someone copied and sent posts I had sent in anger as well as selected posts of some calling me names (conveniently ignoring the posts of those who supported me) to my boss. It took some doing to correct the impressions those selected messages left.

Many of us post something spontaneously and forget about it until the old thread is resurrected and we can see our awful, ignorant posts. We should be able to delete those.

As a relative newbie years ago, I posted some dumb questions and some posters really lambasted me. I am a lot better at BJ, and would hate for someone to use those old threads now to discredit me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Norm - Seems that 8/10 who participated in the poll feel deletions should be limited. I think 3 days is more than enough time for "poster's regret." And as a;lready stated, if something REALLY needs to be deleted later in time, you can handle it. Your move.

Blog Entries

Sounds good. Let's give the poll a bit more time.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Three days sounds very reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcallister3200 View Post
    I think a week or so is good. I get that it could really disrupt a decent thread at that point, but also for people who don’t visit daily maybe 1-2x per week gives a little bit of extra time for someone to suggest deleting a post that’s too sensitive or for OP to realize or correct that after suggestion, three days maybe a bit tight given no access to pm’s without subscription.
    I would mostly agree with mcallister above. I don't like people deleting all their posts either, but 3 days is pretty tight. There are only a few posters that get on this forum every day, or week. A lot of people only come here occasionally...and if they then want to delete, then they should be able to. My vote would be something like 10 days or so maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Sounds good. Let's give the poll a bit more time.
    I just don’t think the majority in a poll should dictate the action. Maybe a simpler answer is to remove the name of posters but keep the content available. Maybe a poster can go change/remove his/ her handle on an old post or maybe posters names should be removed from old posts. Alternatives should be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I just don’t think the majority in a poll should dictate the action. Maybe a simpler answer is to remove the name of posters but keep the content available. Maybe a poster can go change/remove his/ her handle on an old post or maybe posters names should be removed from old posts. Alternatives should be explored.
    This is the worst idea so far. I'd rather have posts deleted than to suddenly change content to "from anonymous". If you want to post here then we should know who you are.
    That being said, maybe 10 days or 2 week limit to delete your posts seems reasonable to me. If it's truly outrageous then Norm can intervene. Hell I don't really know.
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 10-09-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Limiting deletions is the standard for forums.
    This is what matters.

Why not just edit a post if you want to delete it? Then after 48 or 72 hours, you can't edit it anymore.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

Whatever rule for deleting will also apply to editing. We don't want to end up with a bunch of empty posts.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    We're now up to 86% (14 votes) wanting to limit the ability to delete posts. Anyone else care to vote/comment?

Blog Entries

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Three days it is

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast