See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Should posts be able to be deleted?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, at any time

3 18.75%
  • yes, but only within ____ days of posting (splease specify)

9 56.25%
  • Not all all

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should posts be able to be deleted?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Should posts be able to be deleted?

Wave recently stated that he routinely deletes his posts after a short period of time. Should that be permitted?

Norm, perhaps there should be a time limit on deleting posts - maybe after 3 days, it stays?

What say everyone?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    My vote - only within 3 days of posting

I'm on board with three days. If it's something sensitive, Norm can always intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    No problem, I won't post any more.
    Millennial culture, everyone!

Edit: it's not just about you Wave, but not surprising you'd take it that way. It's happened before and 21forme was politely suggesting a policy change. Stop trying to be butthurt.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    My vote - only within 3 days of posting
    Three days sounds good to me.

On a couple of occasions, I have reached out to someone on this forum with a question about a previous posting. Sometimes they have remembered posting, but they deleted the post because upon further reflection; the information was too sensitive. If they still had access to their posts, they would have shared the information with me.
    With that situation in mind, I have another suggestion. Suppose the members that would like to delete their postings would also like to give someone access to their thoughts at a later date. Is it possible for someone to mark their postings as private, so that only the writer could see them?
    A member could later share a private posting as they see fit.

Kinda like if you dont spend your money in 3 days, it ain’t yours no more.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    User deleted posts aren't actually removed from the database and can be recovered.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    User deleted posts aren't actually removed from the database and can be recovered.
    21forme probably should have started this in suggestions

So Norm, will you consider making it so posts can't be deleted by the poster? It leaves massive holes in the information flow and is generally distructive. If this were Usenet, for example, it couldn't be deleted. Closer to that model seems like a good idea.

I don't know why but we get posters here who delete their content. It goes against internet norms and the spirit of the conversation on the site.

Blog Entries

Deleting lots of posts is indeed disruptive. Being able to delete a very recent post is useful. Whatever you guys decide, as long as it is no deletions at all. That would mean I'd get constant deletion requests.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Limiting deletions is the standard for forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    If you're going to restrict the ability to delete posts, you should give users notice when they register...or a reminder and option to delete before posting that the ability to delete posts is limited at this site (or both)...unlike some social media sites where users may delete posts freely.

Also, I do not know how many users will vote in the poll, but if the decision to limit posts is made after...say 50 or 100 votes...is that really fair to the other X number of users? A better way should be developed and used to get their input and to inform them this is being considered.

Changing the rules without notice is not really fair.
    I just don’t know why you think you have the right to delete posts except Norm clicked a checkbox years ago when setting up vBulletin. No one needs to be notified of anything. You’re the only one making a huge issue of this but I’ll add that in the past there was a poster who was surreptitiously doing the same thing.

Get off the internet if you don’t like your content BEING ON THE INTERNET!

Norm: it isn’t a democracy here. I think 21forme, myself, and the poll make some good points about not being able to delete content after 3 days. That’s my final position. I don’t think another poll or more discussion will bring us closer together on this issue. It’s just up to you now, as it always was.

Blog Entries

Keep in mind that anyone that auto-subscribes to threads receives emails containing posts. Also, up until a couple weeks ago, the non-subscriber forums had RSS feeds with all posts. I had to shut it down as another forum was using it to illegally copy posts to their forum making it look like members here were posting there. Point is, deleting here wouldn't delete these copies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast