See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 6 deck vs Double Deck

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherNotGiveMyRealName View Post
    I was just playing with my food. I think I've had quite enough of that. My IQ was lowering by the minute.

I already use Hi-Lo indices but I'm thinking that since KO counts the 7, the indices may be slightly altered for certain hands. This is why I am anticipating index generation software.
    Depends On the actual tag values. I play halves, more complex than hi lo, however the indexes are virtually identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I don’t know your system or it’s indices. However, if the triggers are close to hi lo, why not just use hi lo indices in the interim.
    Wong’s Professional has excellent tables for this purpose. They are EV maximizing indexes. Shoestring bankrolls should consider Risk Averse. Depending on item, just add 2 or 3 true counts to those indexes where RA would apply. You can refine this later.

We can expect a couple of more low class condescending posts from the troller, so not to worry. He’s actually quite unarmed for a real contest.
    Freightman give me a break, you are a joke...only newbies like this even listen to you.
    Rathernotgivemyrealname I used Don and Wong as examples for those more recent that might have thought about the best counting systems...but obviously you are smarter than all of them or us lol. You don't answer questions, and always have to have the last word newbie...so go ahead lol.

Depends On the actual tag values. I play halves, more complex than hi lo, however the indexes are virtually identical.
    Okay, sounds good. I appreciate the info man, have a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by Counting_Is_Fun View Post
    Freightman give me a break, you are a joke...only newbies like this even listen to you.
    Rathernotgivemyrealname I used Don and Wong as examples for those more recent that might have thought about the best counting systems...but obviously you are smarter than all of them or us lol. You don't answer questions, and always have to have the last word newbie...so go ahead lol.
    You are very damaged.

Shoestring bankrolls should consider Risk Averse.
    Is there some way that I can disabuse you of this erroneous notion? Million-dollar bankrolls should also be using RA indices.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Is there some way that I can disabuse you of this erroneous notion? Million-dollar bankrolls should also be using RA indices.

Don
    This one you have said over and over. I'm not sure what you have to do to codify this statement.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Don
    Don, sorry for delay in response. I was on brief vacation after having fought the good fight - and this really is a good point. First, thanks for yanking my thoughts. My error was not in my thought process, rather in the way expressed.

First, I’ve often said that shoe string rolls should use RA indices, and Im sure we are both in agreement on that point. Second, I’ve commented on players, with solid rolls, using either EV maximizing approaches verses RA approaches, depending on their personal philosophies. Third, I’ve also said that I use a combination of EV maximizing and RA indices in my game, not necessarily for RA purposes, but rather for purposes of camo.

I also think it worthwhile to comment on the purpose of RA, that being to reduce the big variance associated with indices at strike point, those wagers being multi unit bets, and utilizing RA to capture a higher percentage of expected value, allowing a higher max bet and thus, actually improving overall profitability.

Now, to answer you. I harped on EV versus RA to emphasize to the more sensitive rolls of the importance of reduced variance to build roll. I failed (I did at times) to clarify and emphasize the concept of preserving roll, for stronger rolls, rolls no longer requiring the additional risk associated with bankroll building. That certainly defines me.

There is a current thread on really quick ramping, in other words, EV maximizing, with no regard to longevity, which also means no a no prisoners approach, which also means victory at sometimes huge cost.

A person needs to sleep at night - I do - and part of that is achieved through use of RA. I still intend to whip your ass on some future math argument, but in the mean time, thanks for pointing this out.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Nice post -- especially the accuracy of the language! See, you can do it when you want to!

There can always be extraneous reasons, beyond math, for doing, or not doing, something in blackjack, but my comment, as you understood, was purely on the theoretical aspect of things. You summarize very nicely when you write: "I also think it worthwhile to comment on the purpose of RA, that being to reduce the big variance associated with indices at strike point, those wagers being multi unit bets, and utilizing RA to capture a higher percentage of expected value, allowing a higher max bet and thus, actually improving overall profitability."

This is exactly correct and the essence of the argument to use RA indices, well, all the time. If you reread my Chapter 13 discussion of all this, you'll see how, for a very long time, I overlooked the aspect where RA permitted you to bet more, and, as a consequence, I felt that, if you had sufficient bankroll, RA actually hurt your bottom line. We both now know that not to be the case. But, as the article also explains, practicality may diverge from theory, as it doesn't really help me to know that, with RA, instead of betting $25, I can now bet $27.32! So, I probably have to continue to bet $25 and accept the benefit of RA in the form of reduced variance for the same bet sizes -- and that has a value of its own.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Don

Nice post -- especially the accuracy of the language! See, you can do it when you want to!

There can always be extraneous reasons, beyond math, for doing, or not doing, something in blackjack, but my comment, as you understood, was purely on the theoretical aspect of things. You summarize very nicely when you write: "I also think it worthwhile to comment on the purpose of RA, that being to reduce the big variance associated with indices at strike point, those wagers being multi unit bets, and utilizing RA to capture a higher percentage of expected value, allowing a higher max bet and thus, actually improving overall profitability."

This is exactly correct and the essence of the argument to use RA indices, well, all the time. If you reread my Chapter 13 discussion of all this, you'll see how, for a very long time, I overlooked the aspect where RA permitted you to bet more, and, as a consequence, I felt that, if you had sufficient bankroll, RA actually hurt your bottom line. We both now know that not to be the case. But, as the article also explains, practicality may diverge from theory, as it doesn't really help me to know that, with RA, instead of betting $25, I can now bet $27.32! So, I probably have to continue to bet $25 and accept the benefit of RA in the form of reduced variance for the same bet sizes -- and that has a value of its own.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Don
    High praise. Thank you.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789