Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revere Plus-Minus Count (aka Hi-Lo)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Revere Plus-Minus Count (aka Hi-Lo)

I have searched the forum for the answer to this question, to no avail...RE: Revere's Plus-Minus Count on P. 95 of "Playing Blackjack As A Business" - which uses the same tags as Hi-Lo - my question is this. I would like to know if the strategy he uses for his Plus-Minus Count which uses just one indice (+1), which is on pages 31, 98, and 99, is his strategy still viable for use today using Hi-Lo? How does it shake out vs the Illustrious 18 strategy? Has anyone ever ran a sim comparing the two?...I have been using the Revere Plus-Minus Strategy for years with success but am now considering swapping it out for the Illustrious 18 if it would be beneficial to do so? Any and all replies to this enigma would be greatly appreciated....Thank you aforehand....Ronster

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I have searched the forum for the answer to this question, to no avail...RE: Revere's Plus-Minus Count on P. 95 of "Playing Blackjack As A Business" - which uses the same tags as Hi-Lo
    Are you sure ?
    https://www.qfit.com/cardcounting/Revere-Plus-Minus/

Actually yes, I am sure!...Please re-read my post and check out the pages I cited in "Playing Blackjack As A Business" by Revere.... The Revere Plus-Minus you pointed out is not the same tags as in Revere's book....

No need to re-read. I understood what you said. And I do not have "Playing Blackjack As A Business".
    Hard to believe that Revere has identically named two counts so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    No need to re-read. I understood what you said. And I do not have "Playing Blackjack As A Business".
    Hard to believe that Revere has identically named two counts so different.
    Hardly!

This is like the Ben Franklin Count or REKO, among other examples. I don't know what he used for deck estimation, but it's essentially Hi Lo with compromise indexes. It's probably effective to some degree.

To OP: I think you're a little confused. Just because it uses +1 as the only index trigger doesn't mean you aren't using the I18 list of indexes, though you certainly wouldn't be using all of them. What does it use for the insurance trigger? I'm traveling or else I'd check the book. When I get home I'll take a look.

Resident Revere expert Don might have some ideas too.

Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    To OP: I think you're a little confused. Just because it uses +1 as the only index trigger doesn't mean you aren't using the I18 list of indexes, though you certainly wouldn't be using all of them. What does it use for the insurance trigger? I'm traveling or else I'd check the book. When I get home I'll take a look.

Resident Revere expert Don might have some ideas too.
    No mention of insurance, which is surely an oversight. Just a simplified way to play the hands, either using BS or varying at TC>=+1, which is obviously inferior to using the I18.

No way to know how much this watered down strategy gives up with respect to the I18, without simulating, but I would guess that the dropoff is rather serious.

Don

Thanks Don.

OP: You've done the hard part already. Just go learn the published index numbers for the I18 straight from BJA3. If you're a casual player, stop there. If you're serious, learn as many as you can.

CVCX should be able to sim this. I’m out of town and away from my PC that runs it, or I would do it myself.

I don't have CVCX. But if you could sim it for me when you get the time I would most appreciate it....ronster

Could/would you please run a sim for me Don S?.....

Could/would you please run a sim for me Don S?.....
    Don doesn't do sims, Ronster. I don't have the time, but I'd guess Revere +/- probably is 20% worse than Hi Low.

Hi refinery....Revere plus-minus and hi-low are exactly the same, same tags...My question is still this; Are the indices on the pages I mentioned comparable to the Illustrious 18?...Which is the better strategy?....Thanks for your reply....ronster

Hi refinery....Revere plus-minus and hi-low are exactly the same, same tags...My question is still this; Are the indices on the pages I mentioned comparable to the Illustrious 18?...Which is the better strategy?....Thanks for your reply....ronster
    You have some fundamental misunderstanding of your goal and also terminology. I'll try again but for the last time: if you use the compromise indexes of +1 I believe it will underperform Hi Low by about 20%. The better strategy will be to use Don's published indexes from BJA3. God speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast