See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smooth bet question ramping

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smooth bet question ramping

I really want to focus on bet ramping this weekend. I want to open my spread up to 1 -10. I'm having a hard time developing a natural rhythm here. My goal is to get 3 units +2, 6 units +3, 10 units +4.
    I'm usually playing close to full tables so it's not unusual to get +4 mid shoe, play a round and be down to -2. In the past I would just drop down to 1 unit in this spot. With a wider spread now I'm thinking
    it's going to look very unnatural doing this. Would it make sense to ramp down slowly on these TC swings even though I'm betting more units in a bad situation? Say I win my max bet, count drops to -2, would it make sense to let max bet float here and adjust after next round? Playing like this would remove the choppy bet ramps, but do you think it would completely neutralize the +ev in the higher counts?

Edit: I found this same question discussed may times here. I will spend more time searching before posting next time.
    Last edited by UncleChoo; 08-23-2019 at 06:23 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    After you win the max bet and the count goes negative, quickly answer your phone, say "hang on a minute," pull your bet back, then stand up behind the table and have a conversation.
    If the count recovers after the next hand, jump back in, if MSE is permitted.

P.S. You shouldn't be playing full tables.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    After you win the max bet and the count goes negative, quickly answer your phone, say "hang on a minute," pull your bet back, then stand up behind the table and have a conversation.

I understand, I have 3 choices within an hour from me. 1 place is 6:5 paradise, the other is $50 min for good rules, and then a sweet little gem with 85% pen, LS, DAS. The caveat it's always full. To your other point, I guess the art of wonging is what I really need to focus on. Thanks!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChoo View Post
    I really want to focus on bet ramping this weekend. I want to open my spread up to 1 -10. I'm having a hard time developing a natural rhythm here. My goal is to get 3 units +2, 6 units +3, 10 units +4.
    I'm usually playing close to full tables so it's not unusual to get +4 mid shoe, play a round and be down to -2. In the past I would just drop down to 1 unit in this spot. With a wider spread now I'm thinking
    it's going to look very unnatural doing this. Would it make sense to ramp down slowly on these TC swings even though I'm betting more units in a bad situation? Say I win my max bet, count drops to -2, would it
    make sense to let max bet float here and adjust after next round? Playing like this would remove the choppy bet ramps, but do you think it would completely neutralize the +ev in the higher counts?
    One of the with a full table is that good counts don’t kast long. You need to act “right now”. Same thing applies to ramping down. The other issue, of course, is the strength of bankroll. With a weak roll, you’re pretty much confined to your sims.

Also, assuming .5 he, 3&6 units for true and 3 looks fine (your edge doubles from 2 to 3, but only increases 50% from 3 to 4), so, you might want to take a look at that.

They’re many factors that go into calculation of ramp - Kelly is only one if them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    One of the with a full table is that good counts don’t kast long. You need to act “right now”. Same thing applies to ramping down. The other issue, of course, is the strength of bankroll. With a weak roll, you’re pretty much confined to your sims.

Also, assuming .5 he, 3&6 units for true and 3 looks fine (your edge doubles from 2 to 3, but only increases 50% from 3 to 4), so, you might want to take a look at that.

They’re many factors that go into calculation of ramp - Kelly is only one if them.
    Thanks! I didn't realize this. I need to learn how to dissect things a little further than I've been.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post

Make them tell you that you can't use your phone at the table.

The other thing that kind of sucks at my haunt is that some of the dealers are ridiculously slow. Another dealer said they get away with it because they've worked there for years. Nothing can be more tilting than when a dealer slow draws to 21 and then slowly looks at you for 3 seconds with a goofy look on their face.

The other thing that kind of sucks at my haunt is that some of the dealers are ridiculously slow. Another dealer said they get away with it because they've worked there for years. Nothing can be more tilting than when a dealer slow draws to 21 and then slowly looks at you for 3 seconds with a goofy look on their face.
    No fun playing when irritable.

it's going to look very unnatural doing this. Would it make sense to ramp down slowly on these TC swings even though I'm betting more units in a bad situation? Say I win my max bet, count drops to -2, would it make sense to let max bet float here and adjust after next round? Playing like this would remove the choppy bet ramps, but do you think it would completely neutralize the +ev in the higher counts?

Edit: I found this same question discussed may times here. I will spend more time searching before posting next time.
    I always miss the number of decks in such questions.

Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    Make them tell you that you can't use your phone at the table.
    Dude, you have the best posts. Honest.

then a sweet little gem with 85% pen, LS, DAS. The caveat it's always full.
    Does "always full" include very early am?

I understand, I have 3 choices within an hour from me. 1 place is 6:5 paradise, the other is $50 min for good rules, and then a sweet little gem with 85% pen, LS, DAS. The caveat it's always full. To your other point, I guess the art of wonging is what I really need to focus on. Thanks!
    With 85% pen, your ramp seems too aggressive. Have you run the game through CV to determine what's optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    I always miss the number of decks in such questions.
    I've been playing a 6D game.

Quote Originally Posted by 21frogman View Post
    Does "always full" include very early am?
    Probably not, I've just been playing on Friday - Sunday late afternoon / evening due to work schedule

Quote Originally Posted by RTR2021 View Post
    With 85% pen, your ramp seems too aggressive. Have you run the game through CV to determine what's optimal?
    I kind of thought this too, but sims show me at 4 units +2, 8 units +3, 10 units +4
    Actually, was simming different conditions before - these conditions show +2 3 units, +3 6 units, +4 8 units, +5 10 units
    Last edited by UncleChoo; 08-23-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast