See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Why never spl 5's on DAS at high TC's vs 6

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Why never spl 5's on DAS at high TC's vs 6

I can't understand this hard rule of never splitting 5's. If DAS and have extremely high TC's wouldn't this play make sense? It seems when conditions are right this play would make sense. It would allow you
    to get more money on the table with a high probability dealer bust. Say with zen, deep in the shoe at +12 TC vs a 6, why not split those 5's giving me a chance to get possibly 3 -4 X my max bet out?

Ten is a superior starting hand in every possible way which is why double is the correct action. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    Ten is a superior starting hand in every possible way which is why double is the correct action. Think about it.
    Please take this dumb thread down. I feel stupid now. Duh, I'm way over thinking some of these plays. You double so you already get the chance to get 2x max bet. Need more coffee.
    To be fair I'm trying to find less obvious ways to get more money on the table in premium situations. I thought about this move during yesterdays session. I was thinking the idiot effect
    of this play would give some longevity while giving you a chance to jam the money in.
    Last edited by UncleChoo; 08-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.

But if the TC is that high, you are very unlikely to get a third or fourth five for resplitting, or to draw fives or sixes to your split fives for DAS on 10 or 11. You are likely to get two stiff hands of Hard 15, whereas the dealer might indeed get two tens and bust. But in this case you win only two initial bets, which is not more than winning with doubling down (which is more likely since you need only one more card, not two).

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    But if the TC is that high, you are very unlikely to get a third or fourth five for resplitting, or to draw fives or sixes to your split fives for DAS on 10 or 11. You are likely to get two stiff hands of Hard 15, whereas the dealer might indeed get two tens and bust. But in this case you win only two initial bets, which is not more than winning with doubling down (which is more likely since you probably need only one more ten, not two).
    Yeah, Refinery post got my brain back on track. I think I had a short circuit somewhere along the line. You'll make more money winning your double than losing with two stiffs in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    But if the TC is that high, you are very unlikely to get a third or fourth five for resplitting, or to draw fives or sixes to your split fives for DAS on 10 or 11. You are likely to get two stiff hands of Hard 15, whereas the dealer might indeed get two tens and bust. But in this case you win only two initial bets, which is not more than winning with doubling down (which is more likely since you need only one more card, not two).
    To give a deeper look in the thought process, I was thinking I'm doubling all Ace - 6 values on the draw here. So to pull a percentage out of my rear end maybe 35% of the time i draw a card I can double with and approx. 10% I can double both hands after the split. This play is pure offense driven so the dealer going pat has no effect. I keep wanting to find hidden value here because the extra value of a completely unconventional play like this would be priceless. I'm trying to find a way to sim this play versus playing the conventional way. Even if the play is close to break even versus the normal strategy the gain from this looking so ugly to the EITS is very valuable.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChoo View Post
    To give a deeper look in the thought process, I was thinking I'm doubling all Ace - 6 values on the draw here. So to pull a percentage out of my rear end maybe 35% of the time i draw a card I can double with and approx. 10% I can double both hands after the split. This play is pure offense driven so the dealer going pat has no effect. I keep wanting to find hidden value here because the extra value of a completely unconventional play like this would be priceless. I'm trying to find a way to sim this play versus playing the conventional way. Even if the play is close to break even versus the normal strategy the gain from this looking so ugly to the EITS is very valuable.
    The basic strategy edge for splitting 5,5 ONCE vs. dealer 6 in 6D, S17 is +13.6%. The BS edge for doubling the same hand is +59.9%, and there isn't a positive true count on the face of the earth that will ever make up that huge difference.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    The basic strategy edge for splitting 5,5 ONCE vs. dealer 6 in 6D, S17 is +13.6%. The BS edge for doubling the same hand is +59.9%, and there isn't a positive true count on the face of the earth that will ever make up that huge difference.

Don
    Thanks Don! I'll get this silly deviation out of my head now.